Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 AM

58 posts, read 209,919 times

Advertisements

Here's me list of important criteria. This city can be anywhere in the world. If you can help narrow my search with your firsthand experience of cities, it would be appreciated.

• Population: at least 500k
  • At least somewhat thriving gallery/fine art scene; at least one top notch museum nearby
  • Generally highly educated population
  • Around 60-80% Caucasian
  • Not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter (rain and some snow is okay though)
  • Low prevalence of casual sex, strip clubs, sugar daddies etc.
  • Low prevalence of very religious people
  • Not notoriously expensive
  • A good amount of interest in sustainable living
  • Mostly liberal viewpoints (support taxes, welfare, green infrastructure)
  • Good public transportation
It seems the only place in the world that closely fits this description would be the Bay Area. Am I right? Or can you suggest any places I'm missing?

Further notes:

-Portland and Seattle fit my description in a lot of respects...BUT according to this survey, they both have the highest prevalence of casual sex: Which U.S. Cities Have The Most Casual Sex?
-Vancouver fits my description in many ways, but the art scene is lacking, too expensive, and becoming increasingly Asian (50%).
-I could never live in the southern states of the US; too many poorly educated people. I don't think it's a good idea to live on the US East Coast either, due to hurricanes (apparently).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 AM

326 posts, read 1,044,169 times
What about Berlin? It fulfills every single one of your criteria.

Most decent sized western European cities would probably fulfil most of these - with the exception the expensive category. Berlin's great because it's super cool, liberal and vibrant but the cost of living is low.

However, I'm curious: you seem to be a liberal, tolerant person - what's with the whole too many Asians thing?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,913,111 times
Why does the prevalence of casual sex matter? If you don't want casual sex, don't do it. It's not as if people are doing it in the middle of some Portland street.

Ditto on the Asian thing: Why would that matter?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM

@Jeffby: If most of the population does not value monogamy it's less likely to find a partner who does.
As for wanting a city at least 60% but less than 80% white, why don't you see many white people in Compton? Why do many immigrants choose to live in enclaves of a city dominated by people of a similar ethnicity...? Because they can relate to the culture more, speak the language, share a common religion, and feel less like outsiders. After living in many places where whites were in the minority and having Mexican, Filipino, and Black foster parents, I find it's easier to feel a sense of belonging when there are a lot of people with the same cultural traits. It's not about racism, it's about fitting in.

If everyone in a city, regardless of differing ethnicity, speaks the same language, generally eats the same types of foods (for example, in some places dogs, cockroaches, and monkey brains are eaten--it would thoroughly freak me out if a dinner partner were eating that), and shares a common ideology in terms of belief in God (some cultures are extremely Roman Catholic), then racial background is no longer a factor when it comes to relatability.

Thanks for the suggestion @BritinParis, haven't thought of that.

Last edited by peudedieu; 10-30-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,913,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peudedieu View Post
@Jeffby: If most of the population does not value monogamy it's less likely to find a partner who does.
As for wanting a city at least 60% but less than 80% white, why don't you see many white people in Compton? Why do many immigrants choose to live in enclaves of a city dominated by people of a similar ethnicity...? Because they can relate to the culture more, speak the language, share a common religion, and feel less like outsiders. After living in many places where whites were in the minority and having Mexican, Filipino, and Black foster parents, I feel like I can relate to people more when there are a lot of people (but not too many) of a similar cultural background. It's not about racism, it's about fitting in.

Thanks for the suggestion @BritinParis, haven't thought of that.
Oh, you're under the impression that the Asian population in Vancouver is going to exclude you? With an attitude such as yours, I wouldn't blame them. The comparison to Compton is dubious at best; the two situations are not comparable.

I find it somewhat curious that you would consider Berlin which I wouldn't call the most monogamous city in the world, at least not judging by my experiences there

Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,948,731 times
Well if it's a U.S. city you're looking for, I'm not sure you'll find one that meets all of your preferred criteria. If anything, most American cities that embody a majority of those characteristics (excluding Seattle and Portland) are going to lack the temperate climate you want, which I can imagine must be particularly important to a potential immigrant from Vancouver.

Casual sex is likely going to be common in most urban settings, especially amongst the under 30/single crowd; still, this shouldn't disqualify our largest NW cities--I'm sure there are plenty of Seattleites and Portlanders who seek permanence and monogomy in a relationship, and they're probably quite easy to find via the right networks (that's if you're even looking).

With all that said, I can't think of any two American cities that are better for someone in search of a climatically temperate, non-religious, artsy, left-oriented, tax-happy, green-friendly, populous, educated, etc., home-base than Portland or Seattle.

Personally, I'm always quick to recommend Portland...friendlier and cheaper than Seattle.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:03 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,559,718 times
Paris

Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM

@Jeff- I think desiring to be around people who share a similar set of cultural beliefs and societal mores is not only the case for most people, but completely fair. I'm not saying that the western ideology I was brought up on is the best, per se, but simply that I can understand/relate to it more and thus want to be around people who share it. For example, I don't understand (or approve of) the practice of child marriages in India, nor the practice of genital mutilation of young girls (clit removal) in Africa and the Middle East. Or having to wear a burka. As for eating monkeys and dogs, yes I do think that is worse than eating pigs and cows because those creatures are more intelligent. On the topic of food, while living in very Mexican neighborhoods/homes in southern California I never understood how they can eat cow genitals and brains. Sure, different people have different ways of life and that's fine of course, but when it comes down to choosing a place to live I want to be part of a community that more or less shares my values.
While Berlin does have nice architecture, judging from pictures there isn't much greenery/attractive natural features...

Last edited by peudedieu; 10-30-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,874,532 times
London sounds like a pretty good fit. Or Bristol. But not on all your requirements however.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,061,640 times
Perfect climate
60-80% white (knocks out most countries)
artsy
and
monogamous type folks?

Doesn't exist.. Its a pipe dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World