U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 PM

984 posts, read 3,422,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I know a little portuguese from working with Angolans and Brazilians and they use "voce" (vossay phonetically). It's used almost exclusively for the English "you" in nearly all situations, though "tu" does exist and can be used for children and real good friends only. It's interesting that the Spanish countries that use "vos" surround Brazil in South America.
It is funny indeed how Argentinians sometimes say eu and você jokingly.

"Quién? Eu?" -"Sí. Você."
(="Who? Me?" -"Yes. You.")

Vos is actually much more widespread in Latin American than most people -even Latin American themselves- think.
It's used in Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Ecuador, Venezuela (in the northwest), Colombia (in the west), Central America (except Panama), and even southern Mexico.
In Chile people usually use , but the vos verb conjugation is in widespread use.

Chilean: No tengái miedo!
Standard Castilian: No tengas miedo!
English: Don't be afraid!

Ch: No te preocupís!
SC: No te preocupes!
En: Don't worry!

Ch: tenís, sabís, estái, vai, venís, ayudái, podís, sabíai, estábai, podríai, supiérai, etc.
SC: tienes, sabes, estás, vas, vienes, ayudas, puedes, sabías, estabas, podrías, supiéras, etc.
En: (you) have, know, are, go, come, help, can, knew, were, could, knew, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 04:36 PM

42,661 posts, read 80,625,867 times
This would probably vary almost from village to village. As I recall, the Germans are more fussy than Spanish speakers about the formality of that. I used the formal in speakng to a 5-year-old, and was reprimanded by my German friend for the faux pas.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 PM

984 posts, read 3,422,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This would probably vary almost from village to village. As I recall, the Germans are more fussy than Spanish speakers about the formality of that. I used the formal in speakng to a 5-year-old, and was reprimanded by my German friend for the faux pas.
You're right. You never address a 5-year-old with a Sie in German. That's just unimaginable. LOL!

On the other hand, in certain Spanish speaking regions, it's usual to address small children with usted.
To take Chile again as an example, many Chileans usted their child when s/he's starting to learn speaking. Then they use standard tuteo (standard Castilian), and when the child speaks with a certain fluency (4 or 5 years old), they start to use voseo explained above when speaking with him/her.

Another difference between Spanish and German is that German has much less variation of rules when it comes to addressing a person. I know that in Germany you don't Sie a child, and I'm pretty sure you don't do that either in Austria and in Switzerland.
On the other hand, in Spanish, there are various rules on how to address a 5-year-old, for example:
Chile: with vos conjugation (explained above)
Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Nicaragua: vos
Costa Rica: vos or usted, but not
etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World