Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 AM

270 posts, read 838,577 times

Advertisements

Hi;

For anyone that knows India, what are the wealthiest parts? I assume Mumbai is the wealthiest major city? Are there other wealthy areas (perhaps smaller ones?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
I've heard Kerala is the wealthiest province per capita. This is still by Indian standards, remember. Mumbai is a city of great wealth and great poverty.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,306 times
Kerala is good, so is Bangalore, basically Southern India is more prosperous overall, more forward thinking, less orthodox, better for women's rights etc. Less crowded, but of course still lots of crowds everywhere. It's India after all.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Goa, by general impression.

Here is a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index

Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,028,127 times
Goa, Haryana, and Maharashtra lead in GDP/capita, but Kerala comes first in Human Development Index, Literacy, home ownership, media exposure, etc.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Mumbai has some extremely rich parts

Old 11-08-2012, 06:23 PM

42 posts, read 122,795 times
Some parts of Mumbai, like South Mumbai, Juhu, Bandra, etc are as expensive as Manhattan. You would be lucky to get a studio or one-bedroom for USD 1 million in some of those neighborhoods. Bangalore and New Delhi are also pretty much as expensive as a big American city, though not necessarily Manhattan unless you live in certain neighborhoods.

I have traveled to India many times in the past two years, partly thanks to my friends' weddings and my current Indian boyfriend. If you compare the prices at an urban Indian grocery store to a supermarket in America, the prices are the same. And gas is more expensive in India.

There are mega-wealthy people in all the major urban areas in India (including lesser-known cities like Hyderabad and Chennai) and a bigger upper-middle class than you would expect. It's hard to imagine they exist because the poverty is stunning, but there is a big upper-middle class.

Wealthiest residential areas broken down by city:
Mumbai: Malabar Hill, Marine Drive, Nariman Point, Altamount Road, Napean Sea Road, Juhu
New Delhi: Greater Kailash, Vasant Vihar, Palam Marg, Chittaranjan Park, Hauz Khas Village - basically all of South Delhi
Bangalore: Lavelle Road, Vittal Mallya Road, Sadashivanagar
Hyderabad: Jubilee Hills, Banjara Hills, Marredpally
Chennai: Boat Club Road, Poes Garden

edit: also, Goa doesn't really figure in the rich state club. Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Punjab are some of the most economically successful states (barring one very backward region in Andhra Pradesh). Even Indians view Goa as a place backpackers and students go to for the raves and drugs (although nowadays Goa is increasingly becoming a destination for affluent tourists as well as hippies).

Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
I have never been to India, but the wealthy parts, according to what I've read, are Kerala, Goa, Punjab, and Chandigarh. The poorest states in India are Chhatisgarh, Bihar, and Orissa, whose HDIs are similar to Ethiopia. Kerala, the state with the highest HDI, also has a famously high proportion of Christians and Catholics (the state exports numerous priests to the U.S.), a relatively equal income distribution, and an HDI about on par with Argentina. Chandigarh is an interesting case as it is not a state but a territory.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 AM

42 posts, read 122,795 times
Yeah, Chandigarh is a city that is the capital of two predominantly-Punjabi states - Haryana and Punjab.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,028,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I have never been to India, but the wealthy parts, according to what I've read, are Kerala, Goa, Punjab, and Chandigarh. The poorest states in India are Chhatisgarh, Bihar, and Orissa, whose HDIs are similar to Ethiopia. Kerala, the state with the highest HDI, also has a famously high proportion of Christians and Catholics (the state exports numerous priests to the U.S.), a relatively equal income distribution, and an HDI about on par with Argentina. Chandigarh is an interesting case as it is not a state but a territory.
I find it very funny that the US has to import Christian priests from a state in India .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World