Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What ethnicity am I (you can choose multiple)?
Swedish 5 7.69%
Arabic 10 15.38%
Norwegian 6 9.23%
Jewish 16 24.62%
English 11 16.92%
French 15 23.08%
Polish 16 24.62%
Russian 15 23.08%
Croatian 17 26.15%
Irish 12 18.46%
Spanish 12 18.46%
Icelandic 6 9.23%
Lebanese 17 26.15%
Danish 5 7.69%
Dutch 7 10.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,604,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
LOL at all the responses .... I'm pure British/Irish.
Lol! Your dark hair and shape of your nose don't don't look typically British IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,284,842 times
Even after living in the States for a while I will never understand the obsession of new world people with their ethnicity. Does it matter if your family came from England, France or Germany decades or even centuries ago? Not really. Unless you still have ties to that country. Which most people don't.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,896,877 times
I think the OP first needs to understand what the difference is between ethnicity, race, religion, and nationality.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,896,877 times
[quote=belmont22;26795769]LOL at all the responses .... I'm pure British/Irish. [quote]

Yet British was not even a choice.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,282,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Even after living in the States for a while I will never understand the obsession of new world people with their ethnicity. Does it matter if your family came from England, France or Germany decades or even centuries ago? Not really. Unless you still have ties to that country. Which most people don't.
I understand that in American culture, the word "ethnicity" is constantly used with the idea that each culture/nationality/ethnicity is supposed to have a unique homogenous genetic origin. This is basically a mistake of thought. No ethnicity in the world is defined that way: what makes a group of humans an ethnicity is to have sharing a common cultural identity (language, names, custums, religion, state, etc.)
The fact of having a "average type" is a consequence of having being part of a same ethnicity for enought time to allow that the genes mixed enoughly to erase their original diversity.

But in many cases, a same ethnicity (cultural/linguistic/national group) can show a huge genetical variety, because of its size, and despite having formed an unity for long time (in the case of the UK/Ireland). This is why you can be 100% British and be very different in your genes with other 100% pure British. Being British is not a race, but a nationality.

British can look like this:
http://www.web-libre.org/medias/img/...454e0b54-2.jpg
As well as this:
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...ui-637x0-5.jpg

They are both ethnically British (culture), but would probably have very different DNA origins.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM

7,371 posts, read 16,061,376 times
Pygmy and Eskimo. Am I right?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,479,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

But in many cases, a same ethnicity (cultural/linguistic/national group) can show a huge genetical variety, because of its size, and despite having formed an unity for long time (in the case of the UK/Ireland). This is why you can be 100% British and be very different in your genes with other 100% pure British. Being British is not a race, but a nationality.

British can look like this:
http://www.web-libre.org/medias/img/...454e0b54-2.jpg
As well as this:
http://static1.purepeople.com/articl...ui-637x0-5.jpg

They are both ethnically British (culture), but would probably have very different DNA origins.
sounds like British is kind of like the USA a melting pot of different caucasion ethnicities

like a mixture of Scotch Irish/ German/ French / Italian / other

Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,459,125 times
I was going to say 'British' but it wasn't an option.

My rationale was that I wouldn't say you looked specifically English or Irish, but a blend of indigenous pre-Celtic Atlantic along with some continental features. Not unlike most Basques, Portuguese, and western French.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,282,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
sounds like British is kind of like the USA a melting pot of different caucasion ethnicities

like a mixture of Scotch Irish/ German/ French / Italian / other

Like all the other nationalities you cited. An English person doesn't need to be of Scottish, German or french origin to have a variation of phenotype with his fellow English people.

You seem to think that Irish, Scottish, German, Italian, or French are "ethnicities" (in the genetic meaning?); while they are nationalities linked with a specific citizenchip and a general culture. They are not homogenous genetic "races" or "sub-races that were supposed to exist as they are since ever, such things just doesn't exist outside of people's minds. All Europe (like anywhere else in the world) is an evoluating genetic mix since ever. Cultures (which concerns a group of people) are much more homogenous and stable than genes (which concerns only individuals).

For exemple the "french" who invaded England with William the conqueror were not really "genetically french" if such thing could exist. They are a mix of the Scandinavian settlers that mixed with the local romance-speaking population of Normandy (which itself had ancestry in individuals from various previous peoples/cultures: pre-celtic population, neolithics tribes, Gauls, Romans, Franks, etc...) All these people were not genetically homogenous, but united by their culture, language and custums...

The same way, the "Romans" were genetically not the same population during the time. Before the extention of Roman culture, they were only the people of lazio. A few centuries later, all of Italy became latinized/Romanized: then the Romans wer genetically different to what they originally were, because southern Italy was composed of greek-speaking peoples, central Italy had the Etructians, northern Italy has Liguian and Celtic peoples... All those people melted to form the Roman at one point of their history.
Even later the mixe we still larger; all the mediterranean bassin was Roman for a few centuries: most of those peoples became Roman: of Roman culture and even citizenship... Like the USA are today. Few Americans descend from the early inhabitants of the 13 colonies...

Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 PM

102,323 posts, read 108,528,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Lol! Your dark hair and shape of your nose don't don't look typically British IMHO.
Right. I never would have guessed Brit, because of the nose. The dark hair, though, could be Black English, or Black Irish, or whatever. Maybe he has some Scandinavian deep ancestry from the Norwegians, Danes or Normans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World