Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Shows you what modern indentured labour can get you. Dubai is a joke and the only reason they can even build these caricatures of architecture is oil money and lack of respect for human dignity.
True, but at least the Burj looks architecturally pleasing, to me anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,718,473 times
Dubai in general is just a sad attept to outdue larger more successful cities. The Burj Khalifa is a nice looking building, but why the hell would you build something that tall that has no real purpose? That city just wastes money!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,523,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Dubai in general is just a sad attept to outdue larger more successful cities. The Burj Khalifa is a nice looking building, but why the hell would you build something that tall that has no real purpose? That city just wastes money!
Dubai is a city still under-construction, we'll see how it really is in a few decades from now..... lets hope they build smart, right now it looks like Phoenix on steroids. not very walkable, but again who wants to walk to the store when its 39c (103f) degrees outside?

Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,610,737 times
I think it looks cool. As do most of the buildings in Dubai. But to echo most other posts here, they seem to be built with no guarantee that they'll be used.

I remember reading an article sometime ago about how Dubai has too much high-end luxury residential and not enough of affordable residential and/or up to date office space (or something like that). So what they've actually built doesn't meet the market demands. I'm not against buildings like the Burj Khalifa, but if most of it is going to be empty for the next several years, it seems like a waste of money.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,255,467 times
It is amazing what they can build, and this shows that, but to me it looks incredibly out of place.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 PM

192 posts, read 412,505 times
A giant spire in the middle of the desert with mostly abandoned skyscrapers surrounding it.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,990,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I love tall buildings - I am a member of a forum that was originally dedicated to such a thing (though is now more a general architecture forum), but I think this specific building is too tall and is unbelievably tacky. More money than sense, these oil-rich Arabians.

This is even worse, however:

Possibly a sad attempt to outdo the West, but these buildings are hideous, are totally out of touch with their surroundings and have only been made possible by the destruction of historical architecture. People do not destroy art work, so why destroy buildings with historical significance?
That is in Mecca Saudi Arabia. Only Muslims are allowed to visit there or live there. Since I would not be eligible to live or visit there I don't give a stuff about what happens there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World