Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,859,077 times

Advertisements

An American Civil War interest group has unveiled plans to get new memorials created to honour British and Irish men who fought in the conflict. Edinburgh has a monument to Scots who served in the Union Army against the South. Unveiled in 1893, it is the only tribute of its kind outside the US. The American Civil War Round Table UK's plan is for two plaques remembering those who fought for both sides. One plaque would be erected in the UK and the other in the US. In the States, 150th anniversary events to mark the 1861-1865 war started last year and will run through to 2015.

"It was not their fight but Britons played their part in the terrible conflict”

Greg Bayne
American Civil War Round Table UK.

Of the three million men who bore arms, 300,000 were of British or Irish birth, the American Civil War Round Table UK said.

BBC News - UK American Civil War tribute hope

I never even knew Brits, well that many Brits, fought in the American Civil War, will have to read up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,540,436 times
An interesting little factoid about a lasting legacy of Britain's involvement in the Civil War: it resulted in the British colonies north of the USA confederating to form Canada. See, while Britain's involvement was complicated, they were mostly backing the Confederacy. When they lost, British North America feared the Union army would turn its attention north and reign holy retribution down on the parts of the British Empire it didn't need a boat to get to. The British North Americans, having barely made it through 1812 against a much more poorly armed America and not counting on Britain's aid, decided to band together for mutual defence so as to be a less tempting target. The country is still around today!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,859,077 times
Thats all well and good but I posted the thread to remember the deaths and casualties of Brits, and Americans, during the war not about who was superior.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,090,788 times
I have heard little mention of British in the American Civil War. Much is written about the Irish and German immigrants who fought or were involved in the US Civil War, on both sides. Many Irish having arrived in USA during the 1846+ potato famine, and many Germans having arrived in USA after the 1848? Revolution. A few examples, are the father of famous financier Bernard Baruch, and the Confederate Treasurer, Mr. Memminger. Entertainer Kitty Carlisle's German grandfather was on the ship C.S.S. Merrimac. General Thomas Meagher commanded the famous "Irish Brigade" of the USA Union Army. Scarlett O'Hara's father in "Gone with the Wind" had an Irish accent, but the movie made no mention of Catholicism.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,540,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Thats all well and good but I posted the thread to remember the deaths and casualties of Brits, and Americans, during the war not about who was superior.
What? My anecdote was just to give some context for the climate during and immediately after the civil war vis a vis the British Empire. I have no idea how what I said might have been construed as implying superiority of either side, although it's a bare historical fact that the Union Army was a powerful military force that the border colonies had reason to fear given that the Confederates had used The Canadas and the Maritime Colonies as bases of operation, although the British North Americans themselves, as people without slavery, seemed more sympathetic to the Union cause and between 33 and 55 thousand BNAs volunteered in the Union army while only a few hundred volunteered for the Confedeacy. Indeed, the fellow who wrote the later Canadian national anthem, Calixa Lavallee, was a Union Army Vet and 29 British North Americans received the medal of honour for that war.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,955,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What? My anecdote was just to give some context for the climate during and immediately after the civil war vis a vis the British Empire. I have no idea how what I said might have been construed as implying superiority of either side, although it's a bare historical fact that the Union Army was a powerful military force that the border colonies had reason to fear given that the Confederates had used The Canadas and the Maritime Colonies as bases of operation, although the British North Americans themselves, as people without slavery, seemed more sympathetic to the Union cause and between 33 and 55 thousand BNAs volunteered in the Union army while only a few hundred volunteered for the Confedeacy. Indeed, the fellow who wrote the later Canadian national anthem, Calixa Lavallee, was a Union Army Vet and 29 British North Americans received the medal of honour for that war.

I believe the vast majority of the UK population at the time was on the Union side. Only the elites, or upper crust textile industrialists favored the Confederacy. Due to the population being on the Union side, the UK govt had to tread very carefully. I believe the US and Britain almost went to war though over the Trent Affair.

This quote from Wiki is interesting given what is going on with Scotland today. At the time, the US Secretary of State was Seward (the guy that bought Alaska), and he warned the British thru our Ambassador that the British Govt would be wise to not recognize the Confederacy due to their own far flung possessions.

At the beginning of the Civil War, the U.S. minister to the Court of St. James was Charles Francis Adams. He made clear that Washington considered the war strictly an internal insurrection affording the Confederacy no rights under international law. Any movement by Britain towards officially recognizing the Confederacy would be considered an unfriendly act towards the United States. Seward’s instructions to Adams included the suggestion that it be made clear to Britain that a nation with widely scattered possessions, as well as a homeland that included Scotland and Ireland, should be very wary of “set[ting] a dangerous precedent.”[5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World