Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM
 
27 posts, read 67,399 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

Hi,

So OK. Here is my situation.
I am 48 and have been living on Social Security income for the past 15 years. I receive $900/month. It is not enough for a life here in the US but it can certainly go further in many other nations.

My initial plan was to relocate to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. I spent four pleasent months there three years ago and in some ways it is an ideal location. It is certainly affordable. It is gorgeous in terms of the nature there. My disability is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and it is nice to be in quiet scenic environments and Lake Atitlan is certainly that.

But here are my concerns:

Because of my disability it is difficult for me to learn a language. I make a determined effort and am sincerely interested but it is just hard because I struggle to develop sustained attention. So if I live in a nation with limited English then things could be hard for me. This was a problem when I was in Mexico and Central America some years ago.

Another conern is that I am not going to be able to relocate with many items. I am very low income right now and so when I do relocate to another country I will not be able to travel with a laptop, camera, cell phone and so on. I simply can not afford those items here in the States.

My desire would be to buy those items in the nation I move to. But this is a problem when moving to a basically undeveloped nation like Guatemala.

So I guess the basic question is what nations are affordable for someone on a budget such as mine but not undeveloped to the degree Guatemala is? I am expecting some replies to mention Asian countries but I do not know what the situation is for those countries now in 2012. I have read about some of them on the internet.

thanks,
Yishai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,379 posts, read 5,543,183 times
Reputation: 4438
Can you receive that income in a foreign country still?

If not, I would think in a place like Guatemala, without any Spanish, you will struggle to find a job that would put you in a lucrative scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Keizer, OR
1,370 posts, read 3,058,556 times
Reputation: 1184
South Korea might do fine. Seoul is expensive but other cities will probably suit you just fine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Saudi Arabia
376 posts, read 653,616 times
Reputation: 226
Default Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalomyishai View Post
Hi,

So OK. Here is my situation.
I am 48 and have been living on Social Security income for the past 15 years. I receive $900/month. It is not enough for a life here in the US but it can certainly go further in many other nations.

My initial plan was to relocate to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. I spent four pleasent months there three years ago and in some ways it is an ideal location. It is certainly affordable. It is gorgeous in terms of the nature there. My disability is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and it is nice to be in quiet scenic environments and Lake Atitlan is certainly that.

But here are my concerns:

Because of my disability it is difficult for me to learn a language. I make a determined effort and am sincerely interested but it is just hard because I struggle to develop sustained attention. So if I live in a nation with limited English then things could be hard for me. This was a problem when I was in Mexico and Central America some years ago.

Another conern is that I am not going to be able to relocate with many items. I am very low income right now and so when I do relocate to another country I will not be able to travel with a laptop, camera, cell phone and so on. I simply can not afford those items here in the States.

My desire would be to buy those items in the nation I move to. But this is a problem when moving to a basically undeveloped nation like Guatemala.

So I guess the basic question is what nations are affordable for someone on a budget such as mine but not undeveloped to the degree Guatemala is? I am expecting some replies to mention Asian countries but I do not know what the situation is for those countries now in 2012. I have read about some of them on the internet.

thanks,
Yishai
I'm considering a move to either Mexico, Peru, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines. As far as developed, inexpensive, safe, English comonly spoken - Malaysia seems your best bet from my experience. Kuala Lumpur has a good public transportation system but it's more expensive than the rest of Malaysia. KL like most of Malaysia is predominantly Muslim. But you could go to Kuching where they have predominant Christian.

Chiang Mai Thailand is also an excellent choice and probably the least expensive developed city in the world. But it's not as developed as Malaysia and English is less common there.

Philippines is the least developed but there are develeoped areas and English is pretty common and there is a Catholic majority if that matters to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM
 
7,855 posts, read 10,303,985 times
Reputation: 5615
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalomyishai View Post
Hi,

So OK. Here is my situation.
I am 48 and have been living on Social Security income for the past 15 years. I receive $900/month. It is not enough for a life here in the US but it can certainly go further in many other nations.

My initial plan was to relocate to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. I spent four pleasent months there three years ago and in some ways it is an ideal location. It is certainly affordable. It is gorgeous in terms of the nature there. My disability is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and it is nice to be in quiet scenic environments and Lake Atitlan is certainly that.

But here are my concerns:

Because of my disability it is difficult for me to learn a language. I make a determined effort and am sincerely interested but it is just hard because I struggle to develop sustained attention. So if I live in a nation with limited English then things could be hard for me. This was a problem when I was in Mexico and Central America some years ago.

Another conern is that I am not going to be able to relocate with many items. I am very low income right now and so when I do relocate to another country I will not be able to travel with a laptop, camera, cell phone and so on. I simply can not afford those items here in the States.

My desire would be to buy those items in the nation I move to. But this is a problem when moving to a basically undeveloped nation like Guatemala.

So I guess the basic question is what nations are affordable for someone on a budget such as mine but not undeveloped to the degree Guatemala is? I am expecting some replies to mention Asian countries but I do not know what the situation is for those countries now in 2012. I have read about some of them on the internet.

thanks,
Yishai

the uk or ireland both have generous wellfare states , london is more expensive than ireland but the rest of the uk is more affordable , the uk is probabley a better bet , better public health service which is obviously important to someone with a disability

a person on disability in ireland recieves 800 euro per month + free healthcare but im not sure foreigners qualify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,112 posts, read 29,621,571 times
Reputation: 8820
yeah we have generous benefits, people manage to live here off less than 900 a month. No chance in London.

That being said, British cities are still expensive compared to their US counterparts by quite a margin, but you get more help off the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,095 posts, read 5,552,387 times
Reputation: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the uk or ireland both have generous wellfare states , london is more expensive than ireland but the rest of the uk is more affordable , the uk is probabley a better bet , better public health service which is obviously important to someone with a disability

a person on disability in ireland recieves 800 euro per month + free healthcare but im not sure foreigners qualify
Yes, I'm sure the UK/Ireland would welcome people with open arms to sponge off their benefits system and NHS. What kind of visa would that be called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,095 posts, read 5,552,387 times
Reputation: 3351
I would go for Mexico or Costa Rica. Immersion would be the best way to learn the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,112 posts, read 29,621,571 times
Reputation: 8820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Yes, I'm sure the UK/Ireland would welcome people with open arms to sponge off their benefits system and NHS. What kind of visa would that be called?
Yes, I forgot to mention, you won't be allowed in if your only intention is to claim benefits off the state. Considering you're not an EU resident, you might as well forget about it, unless you have worthwhile skills in an area that is in demand. Try marrying a British national.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,095 posts, read 5,552,387 times
Reputation: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention, you won't be allowed in if your only intention is to claim benefits off the state. Considering you're not an EU resident, you might as well forget about it, unless you have worthwhile skills in an area that is in demand.
My fiance visa and FLR visas both stated that I could not apply for any type of benefit in the UK. Can't recall is it said the same on my permanent visa. Too long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top