Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk101 View Post
I would think you would find Singapore, or Switzerland have both economic and social liberty that's on par or greater than here in the States.
I'm starting to think you are joking at this point. Singapore with more social liberty?? A place where you can get arrested for spitting out gum on the road and where corporal punishment for relatively minor offenses are the norm? Do you know what you are refereeing to? I think a libertarian would consider Singapore a police state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
I'm starting to think you are joking at this point. Singapore with more social liberty?? A place where you can get arrested for spitting out gum on the road and where corporal punishment for relatively minor offenses are the norm? Do you know what you are refereeing to? I think a libertarian would consider Singapore a police state.
Anyone would consider Singapore a police state. It's a democracy and it's capitalist, but it has some damn harsh laws. Get caught with some drugs first offence? Penalty is execution.

Economic freedom truly is good, however, and the place isn't corrupt.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 PM

362 posts, read 665,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Anyone would consider Singapore a police state. It's a democracy and it's capitalist, but it has some damn harsh laws. Get caught with some drugs first offence? Penalty is execution.

Economic freedom truly is good, however, and the place isn't corrupt.
There's corruption everywhere......

Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
There's corruption everywhere......
I mean not unusually corrupt, like China and India are.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the USA, you can buy an old car for $100, and drive it until the wheels fall off, no government intervention. Some states have a safety inspection, to make sure it has lights and brakes, but most states, you can just drive it as it. License plates in most states are about $50 a year. There aren't many first world countries where you can do that, but you can also do it in Canada..
Driving a car that's not road-worthy is like driving a bomb on wheels, and you can kill other people. This is a good exmple of how freedom is a very vague term and more freedom is not always better. If I may quote Lenin, "Freedom for what?"

Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 AM

184 posts, read 472,864 times
according to 'the list of freedom indices' wikipedia page (which compiled all freedom reports into one) the only countries that are consider free in all senses are australia, new zealand and switzerland. but all 3 of them have some sort of government and they tax as much as any other country.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Driving a car that's not road-worthy is like driving a bomb on wheels, and you can kill other people.
Since this thread has just been resuscitated, a reply to this might be lately in order.

Only a very tiny number of motor vehicle accidents, probably less than 1%, are listed on accident reports as being attributable to the mechanical failure of the vehicle. In fact, equipment failure in an old car probably contributes to far few accidents than the false sense of security that comes from driving a new car with the unreasonable expectation that it will perform well enough to avoid an accident.

I can't find a statistical chart, but this website lists tire failure as #21 on the list of accident causes, and brake or steering failure not at all:
http://seriousaccidents.com/legal-ad...car-accidents/

With rare exceptions, EVERY accident is caused by the driver, and NONE by the car. In fact, poor road design and maintenance (i.e., lack of government intervention) probably causes many more accidents than unroadworthy cars.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-30-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM

184 posts, read 472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Driving a car that's not road-worthy is like driving a bomb on wheels, and you can kill other people. This is a good exmple of how freedom is a very vague term and more freedom is not always better. If I may quote Lenin, "Freedom for what?"
in a non-governed world, if a car is not road-worthy, it will get bad press. thats why we have automotive magazines that review cars, tell us consumers about its good points, and bad points. if its not road worthy, freedom of press will allow the word to spread, causing that cars sales to drop. that will give manufactures incentive to make better cars or end up shutting shop due to poor sales.. as for 2nd hand cars, regulations don't have to be FORCED on us. it should be voluntary. if i bought a car and wanted to check if its road worthy, i'd do it myself and send it to my local garage myself. we don't need government forcing us to do anything.. thats freedom

Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
in a non-governed world, if a car is not road-worthy, it will get bad press. thats why we have automotive magazines that review cars, tell us consumers about its good points, and bad points. if its not road worthy, freedom of press will allow the word to spread, causing that cars sales to drop. that will give manufactures incentive to make better cars or end up shutting shop due to poor sales.. as for 2nd hand cars, regulations don't have to be FORCED on us. it should be voluntary. if i bought a car and wanted to check if its road worthy, i'd do it myself and send it to my local garage myself. we don't need government forcing us to do anything.. thats freedom
A world without government interference will produce extremely robust cars, that will be well suited to the dirt roads that will predominate in such a scenario.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandem View Post
There would be no freedom of the press, what you'd have is press barons and media concentration in the hands of one or two entities who'd assume a monopoly on the media and publish whatever opinions benefited them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World