Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 PM

832 posts, read 1,737,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Israel is home to all three Abrahamic faiths, and is the place where Jesus Christ was born and raised. I think that Sunday should not be a regular work day... It seems like Anti-Christian. If they also want to be more modern and westernized, then they should have Saturday and Sunday off.
So somehow in order to be "modern", they have to follow what is clearly a Christian designation of days off? There is nothing anti-Christian about them not having Sundays off. Christians make up like 2% of the population, there's no need for them to plan the entire country's work week around them. I don't know what it's like in Israel, but I know that here (USA) religious minorities ask for days off on their special days and their companies often grant them--if they feel it will not put an undue burden on themselves. I'm not sure why you want to force your customs and beliefs on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM

5,058 posts, read 6,369,817 times
Quote:
Why is Sunday a regular work day in Israel, which suppose to be a modern, westernized nation?
In the western world, Saturday and Sunday are weekends (Non-retailers being closed).
Your logic is really warped.

You assert:
"In the western world, Saturday and Sunday are weekends"

You also assert:
"Israel, which suppose [sic] to be a modern, westernized nation".

Israel does not have Saturday and Sunday off. Your two statements, if taken at face value and considering that fact, are contradictory. They cannot both be true.

Just because you think they should have those days off does not make it the law of the land, nor does it negate their westernized status. They just don't see things the way you do.

I'll be sure to forward a link to this forum to the Knesset, though, so they can get cracking on changing their law.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,238,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting, I did not know that. Since Israel is not Muslim, I would expect it to follow the rest of the world, Christian or not, which have Saturday and Sunday off.
In that case we should all have off the entire month of August, being such a French thing to do. And that seems to be what the current ruling class wants, to be more like France.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,590,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Your logic is really warped.

You assert:
"In the western world, Saturday and Sunday are weekends"

You also assert:
"Israel, which suppose [sic] to be a modern, westernized nation".

Israel does not have Saturday and Sunday off. Your two statements, if taken at face value and considering that fact, are contradictory. They cannot both be true.

Just because you think they should have those days off does not make it the law of the land, nor does it negate their westernized status. They just don't see things the way you do.

I'll be sure to forward a link to this forum to the Knesset, though, so they can get cracking on changing their law.
Nearly all westernized nations are predominately Christian. The Gregorian calendar, weekends, holidays, customs, some laws and others.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,851,753 times
Cos SATURDAY is their SUNDAY...and Sunday is their monday?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,483,097 times
Isn't Saturday 'supposed' to be the original Christian Sabbath anyway? I have always heard that and that Christians switched it to Sunday for some (non-religious) reason. Wouldn't that make Christians the ones in the wrong?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,417,749 times
Quote:
It's part of the western culture & quality of life
You do realize Israel is not in the west, correct? And what difference does it make to you what day they take off instead of Sunday?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,417,749 times
Quote:
It does because Sunday is the day when Christians worship, and considered a day of rest.
And that's relevant in Israel because...

Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I already gave reasons why it is.
Israel is *roughly* 80% Jewish, 15% Muslim, and 5% 'other' (including Christian). It is the JEWISH state.

Your wanting them to observe the Christian day of rest doesn't mean very much to them, and it doesn't make them less modern or 'westernized'. Nor does it actually mean very much to quite a few non-Christian Americans.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Even if non-Jews are allowed to hold public office, they won't have a chance of getting votes to do it. Judaism is shoveled in people's throats too because of their theocracy.
Have you even *been* to Israel? I'm seriously doubting it... In their basic law, they define their character as a "Jewish and Democratic State". Having spent significant a significant amount of time there myself, I can tell you: it's true.

They are over 80% Jewish, but there is a large enough Arab minority who are CITIZENS that Muslim Arabs can and do get elected.

Statistically, it's pretty likely a candidate will be Jewish. When your population is Jewish, that's just the way the laws of probability roll...however, the incontrovertible fact there are NON JEWS in the Knesset means your statement that "non-Jews" "won't have a chance of getting votes" is completely foolish.

Sorry the world doesn't look or behave as you'd like it to. You'll have to get over that, someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World