Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:22 PM

230 posts, read 330,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm really not sure why people keep bringing up and discussing the Roman/International calendar. The Jewish calendar is different. It's not a hard concept to grasp.
International/Roman calendar is also the Christian calendar where the year 2014 stands for the approximate year after the birth of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivierad View Post
Sunday is the last day of the week according to the International calendar, part of the western weekend. Monday is the first day going back to school/work in most countries in the world.

Sunday is a day of rest in some Middle Eastern countries, such as Turkey, Lebanon, Marocco, etc. so not all of Middle East have Sunday as a regular work day.

Sunday was chosen as the Christian "Sabbath" due to distinguish from Judaism and the day Jesus was resurrected. Now go back to your room and study history books.

Even though Sunday is a holy day and a day of rest in the Americas, it's marked as the first day on the calendar.

And the ME countries you listed are the most European affiliated ones. More associated with Europe than the ME.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,800 times
Is this a serious question?

Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Israel is not a western country
Israel is a western-style country. But as already said the majority of its population is Jewish.

BTW, China uses a 7 day work week for many people although the academic/school year is five days like most of the world. But when a Chinese holiday falls on a weekday, the Chinese Government makes everyone work/teach/study instead on Saturday-Sunday (to make up for days taken off for the holiday during the week) just like they were regular workdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Pick up a calender (even a Christian one). What is the first day listed on it?.....SUNDAY!

Also, maybe you might want to look at an Atlas as Turkey and Morocco are not in the Middle East (which is actually Asia).
Yes Sunday is the first day of the week on all calendars that I have seen!

Turkey is partially in Europe and mainly in Asia and Morocco is in Africa!

Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

Turkey is partially in Europe and mainly in Asia....
Turkey is a oddity as it may be physically mostly in Asia, but its people would rather it be part of Europe and it's leadership its not totally in line with the Western like atmosphere wanted by the people. It's even a member of NATO.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Turkey is a oddity as it may be physically mostly in Asia, but its people would rather it be part of Europe and it's leadership its not totally in line with the Western like atmosphere wanted by the people. It's even a member of NATO.
Istanbul & Western Turkey is very European culturally, but Eastern Turkey is very Islamic and conservative. Unfortunately Turkey is becoming more and more Islamic now with Erdogan

Old 08-30-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Yes Sunday is the first day of the week on all calendars that I have seen!!
Not European calendars... Just was in Sweden few months ago Monday showed first day of the week. All European countries show Monday as first day of the week. It's in America I saw Sunday first and was shocked...

Old 08-31-2014, 06:06 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Not European calendars... Just was in Sweden few months ago Monday showed first day of the week. All European countries show Monday as first day of the week. It's in America I saw Sunday first and was shocked...
Well I am shocked to learn that European calendars show Monday as the first day of the week! All the calendars that I have ever seen always show Sunday as the first day of the week.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Well this is an American Forum and the discussion is about Israel. Thus what Europe or any other country does has no value to this discussion. Thus we here discuss from a American perspective.

If you need a more international forum, then here is one for you to try:

Religious Education Forum - Discuss, Compare and Debate Religions in Our Online Community

Old 09-03-2014, 11:17 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,135 times
Quote:
Well this is an American Forum and the discussion is about Israel. Thus what Europe or any other country does has no value to this discussion. Thus we here discuss from a American perspective.

If you need a more international forum, then here is one for you to try:

Religious Education Forum - Discuss, Compare and Debate Religions in Our Online Community
The USA is hardly the only Christian country, so its not true that any Christian calendar will have Sunday as the first day. In fact the majority don't. Therefore the ponint was totally relevant.

If this board is too international for yur taste you might try one dealing with Christian pop, NASCAR or WWE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World