U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:39 AM

389 posts, read 836,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Winters in both are drizzly and cloudy -though the previous 4 winters have all had notable cold spells with snow and ice.. so be aware, watch weather forecasts etc.

In all honesty, it would be better to go in spring and summer.
Im used to cold, if its gonna be fairly dry but not often wet with rain or snow, I think the weather will be quite pleasant. Though if you mean that I should go in spring or summer because then more things to do are open Im interested in details.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 03:44 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,722,593 times
If you enjoy grey and cold weather, feel free to do it!

Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,722,593 times
I know a very old Parisian pub , where patrons are mostly students your age : the "Polly Maggoo" rue St Jacques close to the Shakespeare and Company bookstore , which is on the Left Bank in front of Notre Dame cathedral.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,490,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London is a bit warmer than Paris, around 45-50F during the day and 35-40F at night. In Paris it'll be around 40-45F. It probably won't snow in Paris and almost certainly won't in London, but it could drizzle on half of the days.
Well on year average that is clearly the inverse, Paris is usually a few degrees warmer than London, especially during the day heights. Only between mid-December and mid-january London is on average a bit warmer (about 47F for London and 45F for Paris, the minimums are the same). Paris's colder month is January but it has significantly warmer temepratures than London from March to October.

Paris and London Weather Comparison

In January Paris will have more sun hours (55.8) than London (49.9). The difference is more important during the rest of the year (1748 (P) / 1480 (L)), especially in summer.

In both cases snow fall is quite unlikely to happen. But everything can happen. In the last years there have been important unusual cold waves: England was hitten more hardly than France:
Winter of 2010
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...embre_2010.png

Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 AM
B87

11,770 posts, read 8,593,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Well on year average that is clearly the inverse, Paris is usually a few degrees warmer than London, especially during the day heights. Only between mid-December and mid-january London is on average a bit warmer (about 47F for London and 45F for Paris, the minimums are the same). Paris's colder month is January but it has significantly warmer temepratures than London from March to October.

Paris and London Weather Comparison

In January Paris will have more sun hours (55.8) than London (49.9). The difference is more important during the rest of the year (1748 (P) / 1480 (L)), especially in summer.

In both cases snow fall is quite unlikely to happen. But everything can happen. In the last years there have been important unusual cold waves: England was hitten more hardly than France:
Winter of 2010
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...embre_2010.png
I was talking about winter. London is warmer than Paris in winter, your sun hours are for Greenwich which are not typical for London. London is sunnier than Paris in winter, but Paris is sunnier in summer. Paris is snowier even though it probably won't snow in either city.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I was talking about winter. London is warmer than Paris in winter,
it is true only for daily maximum temperatures of december and January (not true for minimums), and it is a a very short difference (0.3/0.4°C):
London World Weather Information Service - London
Paris World Weather Information Service - Paris

From February to November, Paris has higher temperatures than London.
In February and March (that's winter) Paris's daily max temperatures are 0.6°C and 1.5°C above London's. In summer the difference is between 2,1°C and 2.7°C.

Quote:
your sun hours are for Greenwich which are not typical for London.
Isn't Greenwich IN London, 4 miles from the city?

Quote:
London is sunnier than Paris in winter, but Paris is sunnier in summer.
London is certainly not sunnier than Paris in winter. Let's Look at BBC weather :
Paris: BBC Weather : Paris
London: BBC Weather : London

Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 AM

9,279 posts, read 7,889,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
I don't get a lot of vacation, this year I got 5 days, next year I get 8, I work only 40h on weekends (sat,san,mon). I have 3 days left, I can use this year or rollover to next, to get 11.

Im thinking about traveling to london and paris for 10 days (that gives me 3 days to use) between tuesday and thursday next week. I have cousing in london I can visit. I think I could spend 7 days in london 3 days in paris, I'd fly to LHR and fly out from CDG. I live in Chicago.

Im thinking about January because I think the peak season travel goes down and so price travel tickets. However I am aware it may snow and it may be cold. How bad is winter in general in London and Paris during January?

Also my mom might want to go with me but I dont wanna take her. I never like when she calls me to commute her to church and makes derogatory comments :/ can you imagine travel with her being a nightmare? She either doesn't go or I won't go to London at all.

If thats the case I have a backup travel for myself, I could go to either L.A., Austin, Miami or Cancun. If I went to L.A I would be there twice, since I have plans with my friends to go there in May. What interests me is Universal Park studios, Holywood Blvd but I am sure there is more there to see than that. I wanna go somewhere this January. Suggestions? Thanks for advice.
Winter weather in London and Paris is 'on average' warmer than the Northern States in the US, and snow (in London not so sure about Paris) is actually quite rare - so you shouldnt have any problems with the weather (unlesss youre unlucky).

Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM

22,256 posts, read 25,748,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
it is true only for daily maximum temperatures of december and January (not true for minimums), and it is a a very short difference (0.3/0.4°C):
London World Weather Information Service - London
Paris World Weather Information Service - Paris

From February to November, Paris has higher temperatures than London.
In February and March (that's winter) Paris's daily max temperatures are 0.6°C and 1.5°C above London's. In summer the difference is between 2,1°C and 2.7°C.

Isn't Greenwich IN London, 4 miles from the city?

London is certainly not sunnier than Paris in winter. Let's Look at BBC weather :
Paris: BBC Weather : Paris
London: BBC Weather : London
Greenwhich is somewhat of an anomaly within London as most average above 1,500 hours, and I believe the sunniest is Kew in SW London, around 1,700 if my memory serves me correctly. Both London and Paris are very large, there will be local variations. That being said, I doubt London is at all sunnier than Paris, even during winter, when averaged across the entire city.

As for that forecast, well, that proves nothing. Just a 5 day forecast.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
As for that forecast, well, that proves nothing. Just a 5 day forecast.
I didn't posted the link for the 5 days forcast, but for the statistics that is found below the forescast. In those statistics you can find the average number of sunshine hour I was reffering to. The average for Paris in December and January is double of London. Outside of this, london is situated 300 km further north than Paris, which means that in winter the days are bit shorter (day lenth of 8h15 for Paris and 7h49 for London on winter solstice, near half an hour difference). Also the sun radiate a bit less in London, being a bit lower in the sky than in Paris
http://www.kyotoinhome.info/FR/image...ltaic/img3.gif

Last edited by french user; 11-23-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 PM

250 posts, read 459,113 times
Quote:
what a guy in 20's can find for himself in London, Paris, any pub recommendations?
There's far too much to mention given that I've been living in this city for 10 years, and I feel I've yet to experience the most or the best that this city has to offer. I would say, remember to stop by at Covent Garden, preferably on a Thursday (for the food market stalls) or weekends (when some of the best street performers are out).

If you're ahead of the curve for your age group in terms of cultural interests, you can book a performance at the Royal Opera House. Some of the tickets are really cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World