U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
26,151 posts, read 34,650,516 times
Reputation: 54666

Advertisements

You'll probably get rain, but most of what you do in London and Paris both, is indoors, so the rain is not an issue. There should be some good bargains on motels.

Paris is really expensive. When we were there, we ate in grocery stores, all of which seem to sell deli and have the most fabulously wonderful bread. Restaurants are very expensive and serve tiny portions so you are still hungry when you leave. Forget about good food in London and just resign yourself to not getting a good meal. There are little take-out shops that are reasonable in price and the food is at least edible; mostly curries and fish and chips.

Public transportation is very efficient in both places. There should be no reason to rent a car. In fact, parking in non-existent so a car is a real pain.

I would not travel with anyone I could not get along with. Travel tends to be stressful which brings out teh worst in some people. So, just tell your mother "not this time".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Paris
8,197 posts, read 7,417,129 times
Reputation: 3517
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
it is true only for daily maximum temperatures of december and January (not true for minimums), and it is a a very short difference (0.3/0.4°C):
London World Weather Information Service - London
Paris World Weather Information Service - Paris
Minimums in Paris are warmer only because of the location of the cities' respective weather stations. London's official weather station is located in Heathrow while Paris' is located in Montsouris park, a much more urban environment, bound to have warmer lows. For less flawed comparisons I prefer to use Orly instead of Montsouris. 1981-2010 averages there are 6.7/1.6°C compared to 8.1/2.3°C for Heathrow. Though I agree with you, regarding January average temps the difference is quite small.
Btw, March is a part of meteorological spring.




Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The average for Paris in December and January is double of London.
You can't extrapolate from such imprecise stats, hours per month are better as they're not as rounded. Btw I don't know where they got their data from, because even über-cloudy Greenwich rounds at 2 per day in January.
Oh, found it: Greenwich, the cloudiest London location averaged 1.48 hours per day on the outdated 1971-2000 period, which indeed rounds to 1. Well, it's only a 32% error.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 PM
 
445 posts, read 775,247 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
I don't get a lot of vacation, this year I got 5 days, next year I get 8, I work only 40h on weekends (sat,san,mon). I have 3 days left, I can use this year or rollover to next, to get 11.

Im thinking about traveling to london and paris for 10 days (that gives me 3 days to use) between tuesday and thursday next week. I have cousing in london I can visit. I think I could spend 7 days in london 3 days in paris, I'd fly to LHR and fly out from CDG. I live in Chicago.

Im thinking about January because I think the peak season travel goes down and so price travel tickets. However I am aware it may snow and it may be cold. How bad is winter in general in London and Paris during January?

Also my mom might want to go with me but I dont wanna take her. I never like when she calls me to commute her to church and makes derogatory comments :/ can you imagine travel with her being a nightmare? She either doesn't go or I won't go to London at all.

If thats the case I have a backup travel for myself, I could go to either L.A., Austin, Miami or Cancun. If I went to L.A I would be there twice, since I have plans with my friends to go there in May. What interests me is Universal Park studios, Holywood Blvd but I am sure there is more there to see than that. I wanna go somewhere this January. Suggestions? Thanks for advice.
I'm leaving a couple days after Christmas. I've been to London before but never during the X-mas holiday so I'm unsure about how cold it will be too. I've never been to Paris so.... Just pack some warm clothes and go for it! London is fun to me and I'm sure Paris will be interesting. I'm leaving out of L.A. on Virgin Atlantic.
As for your mom, London is very much a walking, hop on the tube, look that way when you cross the street, kind of place. I would take her on another trip.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health!" (set 13 days ago)
 
36,002 posts, read 36,250,069 times
Reputation: 16846
Since both London and Paris have subway train systems, I think that it is easy to get around these cities even in the colder weather. So I don't see what the problem is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 AM
 
994 posts, read 1,111,577 times
Reputation: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Paris is really expensive. When we were there, we ate in grocery stores, all of which seem to sell deli and have the most fabulously wonderful bread. Restaurants are very expensive and serve tiny portions so you are still hungry when you leave. Forget about good food in London and just resign yourself to not getting a good meal. There are little take-out shops that are reasonable in price and the food is at least edible; mostly curries and fish and chips.
Paris has plenty of expensive places - some are expensive because they serve great food, others because they are just overpriced, but they know people will still pay because they come expecting to be ripped off. But with a bit of luck, skill, and perseverance, there are also some fantastic bargains, like Chez Paula at the southern foot of Montmatre, where three courses of lovely French cooking (with something like confit of duck for main) can be had for around €15, and half a litre of decent wine for another €5.

Likewise in London, if you want to consign yourself to not getting a good meal, there are plenty of options - but if you're not finding good food, you're either very unlucky or extremely bad at looking. You could try getting some help from one of London's many food blogs, like cheeseandbiscuits.blogspot.com - or even Time Out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM
 
8 posts, read 14,889 times
Reputation: 10
Going to Europe would be great.. Bit of a short stay for such a trip but I'd much prefer to go to Europe than travel in America if your from America. Having someone to stay with in London will be a real help,you'll see the city better. London and Paris are pretty similar with people. Both very multicultural big cities, London being slightly bigger and theres lots to do in both of them. It can get pretty cold in both of them and snow. Pretty random really, some years it snows some years in doesn't and can end up not being that cold. They'll both look beautiful in the snow if it does
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 AM
 
389 posts, read 837,092 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC11 View Post
Going to Europe would be great.. Bit of a short stay for such a trip but I'd much prefer to go to Europe than travel in America if your from America. Having someone to stay with in London will be a real help,you'll see the city better. London and Paris are pretty similar with people. Both very multicultural big cities, London being slightly bigger and theres lots to do in both of them. It can get pretty cold in both of them and snow. Pretty random really, some years it snows some years in doesn't and can end up not being that cold. They'll both look beautiful in the snow if it does
I cancelled my trip to Europe because of weather concern. I'll be going to guess where... Hong Kong!


Unfortunately I hardly can afford long travel due to being entitled only to 2 weeks of vacation per year. Americans don't get as much vacation as Europeans - except some who are well into many years of experience which can accumulate to month or own their business.

I disagree with you about not traveling in America or United States. Its a very huge diverse country and it offers a lot for domestic travel. Myself living in Chicago, I travelled twice this year to California and it really was fun vacation, a real refreshing change and a lot of activities. Not too mention travelling domestically is cheaper and easier since airfare is cheaper or you can take your car with you, etc. People from around the world travel to Grand Canyon being natural wonder marvel. Its a must see place.

But of course travel around the world is important and also exciting. I know Americans who travel do Scandinavia known for nice towns and beautiful landscapes, lakes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: London
1,068 posts, read 1,836,545 times
Reputation: 1021
There's always the chance of snow in January. In fact I'd be surprised if there isn't at least a few flurry's of it. January is the coldest month of the year and I wouldn't rule snow out. Snow is certainly always on the cards.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Near Tours, France about 47°10'N 0°25'E
2,872 posts, read 4,490,970 times
Reputation: 1929
Well, today that's relatively mild; at least compared with the near zero temperature they have to the east in Germany, switzerland and northern Italy.
Temprature en France et en Europe de l'Ouest - Temps rel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top