Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 PM

389 posts, read 920,850 times

Advertisements

I don't get a lot of vacation, this year I got 5 days, next year I get 8, I work only 40h on weekends (sat,san,mon). I have 3 days left, I can use this year or rollover to next, to get 11.

Im thinking about traveling to london and paris for 10 days (that gives me 3 days to use) between tuesday and thursday next week. I have cousing in london I can visit. I think I could spend 7 days in london 3 days in paris, I'd fly to LHR and fly out from CDG. I live in Chicago.

Im thinking about January because I think the peak season travel goes down and so price travel tickets. However I am aware it may snow and it may be cold. How bad is winter in general in London and Paris during January?

Also my mom might want to go with me but I dont wanna take her. I never like when she calls me to commute her to church and makes derogatory comments :/ can you imagine travel with her being a nightmare? She either doesn't go or I won't go to London at all.

If thats the case I have a backup travel for myself, I could go to either L.A., Austin, Miami or Cancun. If I went to L.A I would be there twice, since I have plans with my friends to go there in May. What interests me is Universal Park studios, Holywood Blvd but I am sure there is more there to see than that. I wanna go somewhere this January. Suggestions? Thanks for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 07:26 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
London is a bit warmer than Paris, around 45-50F during the day and 35-40F at night. In Paris it'll be around 40-45F. It probably won't snow in Paris and almost certainly won't in London, but it could drizzle on half of the days.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
You can of course try to explain to your mother how important it is for you to make the trip alone and be independent, but if you're very young, I realise it could be a big decision for her to let you travel alone to two cities with over 8 million people. :/

If you are used to Chicago winters, a week in London or Paris will be a walk in the park. The high temps will be probably something like 45F, and most nights will not go below 32F. It may be very windy and rainy, so be prepared for that!

But Paris and London are amazing cities, and I'm sure you'll have a great time even with your mother. There's so much to see that you probably don't have time for arguing.

Whatever your choice, just do it!

And tell your mom that London and Paris are both very safe cities compared to many large US cities. There are no-go areas in both cities, but they are in the suburbs, and the downtown areas are extremely safe. Even during nights. Pickpocketing is about the worst that can happen to you.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You can of course try to explain to your mother how important it is for you to make the trip alone and be independent, but if you're very young, I realise it could be a big decision for her to let you travel alone to two cities with over 8 million people. :/
if I was THAT very young, how could I have a full-time job 40h a week and have enough salary to afford to travel? Just because I take care of her, doesn't mean I am dependent on her. Fact is she is my mother, but no we are not friends. Would you be comfortable to travel with a stranger? Especially if you would have to spend twice on travel to take him/her? I guess not really.

I have already lived in chicago by myself with about 3 million people, about 9.7 million in metro area, travelled to NYC and SF by myself and never got lost. I even rented car in SF. I think it should be no problem for me to travel by myself to LON, PAR.

Aside from Paris, is there worth something to visit outside the city would require to rent a car?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Especially if you would have to spend twice on travel to take him/her? I guess not really.
Hard to imagine that she'll burden you financially.

Quote:
Aside from Paris, is there worth something to visit outside the city would require to rent a car?
If you like castles and history, these places outside Paris can be reached by train / bus.

Paris to Chateau Versailles by Train

Museum of Malmaison Castle

Château de Fontainebleau

Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Winters in both are drizzly and cloudy -though the previous 4 winters have all had notable cold spells with snow and ice.. so be aware, watch weather forecasts etc.

In all honesty, it would be better to go in spring and summer.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
if I was THAT very young, how could I have a full-time job 40h a week and have enough salary to afford to travel? Just because I take care of her, doesn't mean I am dependent on her. Fact is she is my mother, but no we are not friends. Would you be comfortable to travel with a stranger? Especially if you would have to spend twice on travel to take him/her? I guess not really.

I have already lived in chicago by myself with about 3 million people, about 9.7 million in metro area, travelled to NYC and SF by myself and never got lost. I even rented car in SF. I think it should be no problem for me to travel by myself to LON, PAR.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-23-2012 at 05:11 AM..

Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned

I don't know anything about her relationship with her mother, past travelling experience and so on, how could I? The "how to tell no to my mom" bit and her mom saying that without her, OP will not go at all, made me assume that OP is quite young. Again, how could I know her age? And it wasn't anything like "aww, poor girl all alone in the big world for the first time" or the something of the sort.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-23-2012 at 05:10 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 AM

heads up, Im a guy.

what a guy in 20's can find for himself in London, Paris, any pub recommendations?

Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
For winter plans you might want to call ahead as many places that are normally summer destinations may be closed for the winter..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World