Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 03:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Hahaha yup thats how we roll in the states. wake up, eat breakfast, take shower, wave flag and chant "usa!" and go to work.
LOL that's right. I can't even function till I sit in front of my American flag for fifteen minutes chanting "Praise Jesus that Osama Bin Laden is dead!"

Then I have to get up and run around the block carrying both a flag and a cross. Everyone who sees me beeps their horn and then pulls over out of respect as I pass. Some people burst into tears of pride and gratitude and get so excited that they rush out and enlist in the military just so they can go kill someone in another country - just because they're not Americans!

That's how we roll.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:07 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Hahaha yup thats how we roll in the states. wake up, eat breakfast, take shower, wave flag and chant "usa!" and go to work.
That's not what I meant A lot of Americans do have a flag in their backyard, in their house, on their car etc. Many people, both American and non-American, have commented on that. I'm not criticizing that, I just don't think it can be compared to people waving their national flag once every few years for a special event.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
^ Do you really not see a difference between waving a flag for special national events like a royal wedding or the WC and waving a flag 365 days a year for no apparent reason?
I don't wave a flag for no apparent reason, and neither does anyone else I know. I do however, display an American flag on my front porch because I am grateful to live in the United States and I appreciate the opportunities that living here has given my family.

If you don't want to show your appreciation for your country in that manner, that's fine by me. Carry on.

My daughter lives in the UK. From what she tells me, there are plenty of British flags on display, all over the place, all the time. A very common sight. It has frankly never occurred to her to be offended or intimidated by this, however.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL that's right. I can't even function till I sit in front of my American flag for fifteen minutes chanting "Praise Jesus that Osama Bin Laden is dead!"

Then I have to get up and run around the block carrying both a flag and a cross. Everyone who sees me beeps their horn and then pulls over out of respect as I pass. Some people burst into tears of pride and gratitude and get so excited that they rush out and enlist in the military just so they can go kill someone in another country - just because they're not Americans!

That's how we roll.
You know full well what I meant, this kind of attitude is so childish. Do you actually disagree with what I said or do you think your comparisons are valid?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
That's not what I meant A lot of Americans do have a flag in their backyard, in their house, on their car etc. Many people, both American and non-American, have commented on that. I'm not criticizing that, I just don't think it can be compared to people waving their national flag once every few years for a special event.
I'm just having some fun. Come to think about it i do have a flag in my room, a "usa" oval sticker on my car(like the ones you see in europe) and i own a few "usa" shirts.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I don't wave a flag for no apparent reason, and neither does anyone else I know. I do however, display an American flag on my front porch because I am grateful to live in the United States and I appreciate the opportunities that living here has given my family.

If you don't want to show your appreciation for your country in that manner, that's fine by me. Carry on.

My daughter lives in the UK. From what she tells me, there are plenty of British flags on display, all over the place, all the time. A very common sight. It has frankly never occurred to her to be offended or intimidated by this, however.
Quote:
I'm just having some fun. Come to think about it i do have a flag in my room, a "usa" sticker on my car and i own a few "usa" shirts.
That's all I meant. See, your sarcastic remarks were totally unnecessary. Or did you think when people talk about "American flag waving" they only mean people literally holding a flag in their hands when they're walking the street, lol?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
You know full well what I meant, this kind of attitude is so childish. Do you actually disagree with what I said or do you think your comparisons are valid?
I was JOKING. That response wasn't even TO your post - I was exchanging humor with another poster. Your attitude is churlish.

My point - which I expounded on in a subsequent post - is that in the UK, the Union Jack is prominently displayed, waved, etc. It abounds on clothing, in shop windows, in the streets, etc. and not just on holidays or during royal weddings.

My other point is that it's quite judgmental to assume that Americans who display the flag are doing so "for no reason." There are MANY reasons why an American individual or business may choose to display the flag - it's a conscious choice and usually one has to install a flagpole, which takes some effort. (Or they've chosen to buy and then wear an article of clothing) It's not "for no reason." It's usually because they love their country. I don't see why that's so offensive or hard for people to understand.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:

That's how we roll.
You sound like a right nutter. Especially if you can't cope for 15 minutes without a piece of linen.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You sound like a right nutter. Especially if you can't cope for 15 minutes without a piece of linen.
Wow, sarcasm just goes right over your head, doesn't it?

Surely you didn't think I was serious!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I was JOKING. That response wasn't even TO your post - I was exchanging humor with another poster. Your attitude is churlish.
Right, and it just so happens to be right after my post, in response to a poster who wrote an equally sarcastic reply to me I just think these little sarcastic remarks are unnecessary because they distract from the actual point and distort what someone is trying to say. This happens all the time, when someone says "some Americans behave this way" there's immediately a response like "Yeah, we ALL do that LMAO " It's childish.

Quote:
My point - which I expounded on in a subsequent post - is that in the UK, the Union Jack is prominently displayed, waved, etc. It abounds on clothing, in shop windows, in the streets, etc. and not just on holidays or during royal weddings.
So what? Who cares what the UK does, this thread is about the US. Just because other countries are "guilty" of flag waving too, doesn't mean people can't criticize the US for it if they want to.

Quote:
My other point is that it's quite judgmental to assume that Americans who display the flag are doing so "for no reason." There are MANY reasons why an American individual or business may choose to display the flag - it's a conscious choice and usually one has to install a flagpole, which takes some effort. It's not "for no reason." It's usually because they love their country. I don't see why that's so offensive or hard for people to understand.
I think it was pretty obvious what I meant with "for no apparent reason" in relation to World Cups or royal weddings but if you want to call me judgmental for that, be my guest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World