Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 PM

4,243 posts, read 7,142,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Stop with the un-classy arrogant "america is number 1" tune and probably you wont be as hated.
This probably why a lot of us USAers are annoyed by Texans.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM

27,292 posts, read 28,366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
the point isnt if you have the best universities or not
the best economy or not
the best country or not

the point is that americans have this attitude that is been shown in this thread right now, to SAY the are the best ones, and THATS whats annoying about them.
So what? Why get so worked up over it? I've heard Canadians, Indians, Russians, Japanese, French people, etc., making similar statements about living in the "best country in the world." Except that it doesn't get quite the same reaction from others as an American saying it. Hmm...

Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,879,107 times
it's clear that the best responses on this thread are coming from Americans

Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,484,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I seen your post before even when we have proved you this point or that point you always have an excuse
what???

your punctuation is weird, and even if i try to understand: what the hell have you proven to me? All i say is americans are arrogant and uber-patriotic and sing this crazy tune over and over, and more and more people pop up saying the same thing, about superiority and jealousy, so what exactly did you prove??

Of course there are a lot of americans in this thread who dont agree with the arrogant-ignorant people and write very interesting things. Im not refeering to them when i say what i say.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,484,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So what? Why get so worked up over it? I've heard Canadians, Indians, Russians, Japanese, French people, etc., making similar statements about living in the "best country in the world." Except that it doesn't get quite the same reaction from others as an American saying it. Hmm...

I havent heard that from people from other countries.
Where have you?

Never heard an English person saying they criticize their country out of jealousy. Or a French person. I find those 2 countries to be better than USA for a variety of reasons. However, their habitants seem to behave with much better manners and class.

Last edited by SophieLL; 12-31-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 PM

270 posts, read 259,387 times
They hate us because we are so dismissive. Next Question.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,095,916 times
Quote:
i dont know why their fellow americans dont tell him to shut up giving he is making them all look like fools.
Maybe because we credit other people with not assuming that everyone in America is a fool, just because one person acts foolish. And that most Americans believe everyone can think what they want, even if we think it is stupid, and wrong.

I guess I was giving the world too much credit, hm?

Kind of like, I don't assume all Argentinians are muckrakers, just because you seem to like to do that.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM

638 posts, read 1,022,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
America has the number 1 university in the world with the most universities then any other country in the top 20 universities in the world.
World's Best Universities; Top 400 Universities in the World | US News
Cambridge #2 and Oxford #5 in england ain't too shabby for small country like
the UK

Anyway, when I see these lists I always ask ...says who?...
these lists are somewhat subjective anyway...maybe, god forbid Cambridge is really #1

Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 PM

868 posts, read 1,118,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I hope you don't say I'm ignorant or arrogant for explaining, but...you asked:

America has the world's largest economy, world's strongest military, world's most influential politics, our currency is the world's reserve currency, we have world's best universities, world's best technology with the world's best tech companies: Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, etc. We have the world's most influential culture with world's most successful entertainment industry. We've even gone to the moon and landed something the size of a car on mars. We're leading in all of these areas and more, and I consider that to be the reason the US is the most successful with the most dominant culture.
It also has the world's largest debt and the world's most expensive healthcare!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,766,666 times
Quote:
what???

your punctuation is weird, and even if i try to understand: what the hell have you proven to me? All i say is americans are arrogant and uber-patriotic and sing this crazy tune over and over, and more and more people pop up saying the same thing, about superiority and jealousy, so what exactly did you prove??

Of course there are a lot of americans in this thread who dont agree with the arrogant-ignorant people and write very interesting things. Im not refeering to them when i say what i say.
If that's the case, then don't say things like in your first paragraph, where you don't make any statement acknowledging or quantifying that there are "good" or "reasonable" Americans and instead admit that you just say that Americans are arrogant and uber-patriotic?

Throughout this thread and others regarding peoples' perceptions of America, I've typed completely lucid, insightful responses as a counter to statements that run the gamut from misinformed to just plain spiteful, as have other people in this thread... and yet, as soon as one person enters the conversation and says something like, "yeah, America has the best universities and technological innovations" there's this torrent of people going, "SEE? OH MY GOD! YOU ARROGANT, POORLY-EDUCATED, FOOLISH AMERICAN! TYPCIAL!! A NATION OF IDIOTS AND BUFFOONS!! THIS IS WHY EVERYONE HATES YOU!!"

The thing that I find to be so perplexing about this whole argument is how someone can paint an entire nation as being filled with horrible people, and then think of themselves as anything other than ignorant and judgemental, especially when they seem to be someone of at least some intelligence. This makes absolutely no sense to me in the least; I've never critisized an entire nation because there's one, or a pattern of, stupid posters who make eye-roll inducing comments.

Quote:
i don't know why their fellow americans dont tell him to shut up he is making them all look like fools.
Here's a bit of insight: I was once working at a hotel in which I had some extremely unpleasant guests who were foul-mouthed, immature, demanding drunks who were pushy, aggressive, condescending, and were sleazy and lecherous towards our female staff. When I told them they had to leave the hotel, they kicked over a piece of furniture in the lobby and said they'd call the police.

They were Dutch.

I didn't care. I saw a group of a-holes, not a group of Dutch men. I've had entirely pleasant interactions with Dutch people before and wouldn't let my dislike of these guys to color my opinion of anyone else from their country - I have no doubt that people back home cringe when they see them, too. Should I bring up these guys' behavior to the next Dutch person I meet and solicit an apology from them? Should I roll my eyes and snort, "typical!" when they don't automatically apologize?

Similarly, whether I see someone make some totally asinine one-liner about how America is the best place on earth, or an equally asinine one-liner about how worthless we all are, I chalk it up to stupid individuals as opposed to it being representative of a nation as a whole.

Why don't I tell him to shut up? Well, I'm not telling anyone else to shut up either. And though it would seem that I'm at least somewhat wrong in this case, I'd generally assume that people who hold themselves in such high intellectual and critical esteem to be able to commit the very basic act of separating the individual from the group and perhaps use other statements by Americans here and elsewhere as a fair counterbalance.

Granted, the topic is pretty much destined to attract two types of people:
1. People who dislike America and want a place to vent about how dumb, fat, violent, racist, etc we all are, and
2 Americans who want a place to alternately proclaim how great America is while simultaneously putting down other nations

... and, these people deserve eachother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World