Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
As others have mentioned, this is unbelievably arrogant. It is so common it is bordering on cliche.
Not only arrogant, but also false.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM

349 posts, read 260,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Oh god, the typical "if it weren't for us you'd be speaking German".

LOL!

If it weren't for us, the USA wouldn't even exist. It would just be a sparsely populated land of wildlife and native Indian tribes....most likely an improvement!
How far back shall we go? If it weren't for Africans, Europe would not have ever been populated in the first place, right?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
How far back shall we go? If it weren't for Africans, Europe would not have ever been populated in the first place, right?
I'm not the one making the silly "if it weren't for" statement, you are.

You actually just contradicted yourself.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM

349 posts, read 260,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by object704 View Post
Germany was beaten by USSR, with some (rather small in percentages) help from Western allies, including US.

US has beaten Japanese navy (while the multimillion strong continental army was erased by USSR) - not bad, but it's just a tiny part of an Axis force.

US and UK betrayed Soviet people by not opening the Second Front back in 1941, as they should have did, and as they promised. Not to say that they are partly responsible for starting WW2.

That's what it did - establishing a massive US influence over the areas.

Try to respect tens of millions people, who really defeated that evil. And they were volunteers.

At least study some real history!
Perhaps my knowledge as taught to me by my professors is different to your knowledge as taught to you by your professors. Pearl Harbor was bombed in December of 1941, and America did not gear up until early 1942.

America's involvement in the European theater (or, should I say 'theatre'?) caused Hitler to pull back from the Eastern front, allowing Russia to regroup and return with an offense.

As for the Pacific theater, think in terms of the atomic bomb. That was pretty much a war-ender, as I recall it being taught to me.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM

557 posts, read 672,765 times
Quote:
Wrong, that would be the short lived Corsican Republic.

Anyway, of course those countries have capitalism and consumerism, but it's not as extreme as it is in the United States, in fact, nowhere I know of is. It's out of control here and largely unregulated, American society being one giant pissing contest from the day you're born, forced to "compete" rather than "share". I think that sums up America in general nicely. It is indeed the land of the free if you're fortunate enough to be wealthy enough, or born with the right parents in the right place. I actually think that America is now more class (or rather status) ridden than even Britain.
What makes Corsican a democracy or a republic? Where is it's written constitution with a bill of rights?

You are incorrect. Here's a video that explains it better and explains why the US has the world's first written constitution with the world's first bill of rights.

The United States Created the World's First Written Constitution and Influenced the World - YouTube

Have you lived in America before? Because I hope you're basing these comments on something more than just movies you've watched.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
As others have mentioned, this is unbelievably arrogant. It is so common it is bordering on cliche.
It's so common that I honestly wonder if this is what kids are tought in the US. It is unbelievably offensive to me - and I'm sure to many other Europeans who have family who risked (and often lost) their lives fighting for their country - to suggest that the US basically won both world wars on its own and was gracious enough not to occupy Europe afterwards. I'd say "read a damn history book!" but perhaps history books in the US actually do claim this. And then you have another nationalist bigot from Russia saying it was the USSR who beat Hitler with a tiny bit of help from the West It's historical revisionism at its worst.

Do American history books also teach that WW2 started in 1941? After all, that was when the US got involved, before that it was just Hitler running countries over with no resistance whatsoever. Oh and the US didn't get involved because it was attacked by Japan, wanted revenge and declared war on Japan which led its ally Germany to declare war on the US, nooo the US got involved because it's a "freedom-loving nation" who felt a moral obligation to save Europe from tyranny

Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
What makes Corsican a democracy or a republic? Where is it's written constitution with a bill of rights?

You are incorrect. Here's a video that explains it better and explains why the US has the world's first written constitution with the world's first bill of rights.

The United States Created the World's First Written Constitution and Influenced the World - YouTube

Have you lived in America before? Because I hope you're basing these comments on something more than just movies you've watched.
I live in the US now (see profile). Have done for 12 years.

Nice little video, but I was simply pointing out that your claim that the US constitution was the world's first was false. The Corsican Constitution was drawn up in 1755, before the US Constitution.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 PM

122 posts, read 178,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Perhaps my knowledge as taught to me by my professors is different to your knowledge as taught to you by your professors.
By textbooks, not professors. The good thing about Russia is that the government (or anything) can't falsify WW2 history.

A few years ago the government (Ministry of education) came under a massive attack for the new history textbook, which described major Soviet victories without mentioning lots of minor defeats. Even that is considered falsification.

Quote:
America's involvement in the European theater (or, should I say 'theatre'?) caused Hitler to pull back from the Eastern front, allowing Russia to regroup and return with an offense.
Nope, German's troops composition between East and West remained unchanged. Basically, Westerners were fighting trainees and wounded.

Second front surely helped, but wasn't a deal maker by any means.

Quote:
As for the Pacific theater, think in terms of the atomic bomb. That was pretty much a war-ender, as I recall it being taught to me.
A-bomb is hugely overrated.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 PM

122 posts, read 178,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It's so common that I honestly wonder if this is what kids are tought in the US.
Yes. They teach only US fighting, which makes kids (and then adults) believe that only US was fighting the war. With some tiny help from a few others.

Quote:
And then you have another nationalist bigot from Russia saying it was the USSR who beat Hitler with a tiny bit of help from the West It's historical revisionism at its worst.
You may hate me as much as you wish, but please refrain from attacking me.

Almost all Axis losses were inflicted by SU - this justifies what I've said.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM

557 posts, read 672,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post

Quote:
I live in the US now (see profile). Have done for 12 years.

Nice little video, but I was simply pointing out that your claim that the US constitution was the world's first was false. The Corsican Constitution was drawn up in 1755, before the US Constitution.
What you've pointed out has no merit because you've not shown what makes Corsican a democracy or republic. Because even China claims to be a republic. Nor have you shown me the Corsican written constitution with a bill of rights.

Last edited by drknoble; 01-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: added part about China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World