Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 PM

266 posts, read 401,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Amen to that!

Miami for me (never been there, so no actual experience of the city): subtropical, beaches, Spanish as predominant language, Cubans, Tony Montana, cocaine, Miami Vice, Capital of the Carribean, tourists, neon, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, girls in bikinis, alligators
Exactly what I would've listed as an outside view of Miami Not far off, either. Let's be honest.

Edit: Add "Party Central" and "Spring Break YEAAHH" to the list ... oh, and "Beautiful"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 AM

747 posts, read 895,123 times
Miami for me it is the Cuban immigrants, the American pensioners and crocodiles in the pool.
And Dexter

Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 AM

2,860 posts, read 5,232,156 times
The traditional image of Miami is quite fitting the reality I think.
Beaches, tropical vegetation, spanish-speaking population, "capitalist Cuba", retired people, rich people, poor areas with drugs, very new city, etc.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 AM

320 posts, read 622,724 times
I've never been to Miami but I just think of Cubans, Disney World, old people, palm trees, beaches, gangsters/pimps in flashy white suits and thick gold rings and blonde people.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,002,185 times
How close is the real Miami to the images/perception you see from the CSI Miami series?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 PM

266 posts, read 401,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
How close is the real Miami to the images/perception you see from the CSI Miami series?
If you're referring to all the scenery shots, Miami is one city that is as beautiful in real life as it is in movies, pictures, etc.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM

28 posts, read 40,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
If you're referring to all the scenery shots, Miami is one city that is as beautiful in real life as it is in movies, pictures, etc.
I have to agree. The sands and ocean in South Beach are beautiful. And driving over the causeway and seeing the skyline next to the bay is like looking at a postcard. Def. one of the most unique locations for a city it's size...

Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM

9,782 posts, read 14,616,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
Yeah, along the coast which is where all the rich people live. That's the Miami of television and movies. Once you go inland, let just say that the scenery becomes less than ideal. In some spots you even wonder if you're in some Third World country. I kid you not.

Too bland, too repetitive and it can get quite rundown and dangerous. Plus the graffiti, there's so much graffiti.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 AM

9,296 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The traditional image of Miami is quite fitting the reality I think.
Beaches, tropical vegetation, Spanish-speaking population, "capitalist Cuba", retired people, rich people, poor areas with drugs, very new city, etc.
Almost.

Beaches, yes of course, but much competition from other Caribbean destinations.

Actually palm trees - and citrus - are not as naturally ubiquitious as, say, mangroves. The founders of Miami, such as Henry Flagler, about a century ago, had transplanted more palm trees in strategic places than actually existed, since then they have been a symbol of Miami to attract interest of people up north, and to this day transplanting palm trees after construction of new sites, for example, is still the norm; the ones with the shallowest roots are the ones most likely to fall during hurricanes. The Spanish brought citrus to Florida several centuries ago, central Florida was a mainstay of US orange juice production especially in the 1950s-1970s period, but now Brazil beats the pants off of them.

Miami has three official languages, English, Spanish and Creole (Haitian). To be sure, Spanish is widely spoken and understood, it is almost the exclusive language of immigrants, especially older immigrants, and the first langauge of their US first-generation children, but among the second and third generations English dominates once they begin school and they have to make a conscious and determined effort to maintain Spanish. Of course this is supportive of Miami's role in trade with Latin America. Brazilian Portuguese is increasingly common as well in the past five years or so. Handfuls of French in Coconut Grove - there is a French elementary school in Coral Gables -, some Italians in Miami Beach, Russians a bit further north, and a smattering of Germans and Spanish a bit everywhere along Miami's strategic corridor extending from downtown/Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, Dadeland. Moreover, Spanish, French, German and Italian, in that order of importance, are taught at many elementary and high schools, some of which specialize in such languages and culture, often with official support from the ministries of education of the home countries.

"Capitalist Cuba" is an interesting description. To be sure, entrepreneurial Cubans have been instrumental in transforming Miami into a grand emporium, a meeting place for people seeking warmth, luxurious comfort, business development through trade, and political stability, and all the construction and the real estate, legal, medical and educational services that revolve around them.

Miami Airport is number one in the US in international air freight and among the top ten in total freight, and PortMiami is by far number one as a passenger cruise port, but also number one in merchandise trade by sea with Latin America and among the top ten in total merchandise trade by sea nationwide.

However, interesting to note that, for example, the board of directors of Miami Airport is highly diversified among Hispanics, African Americans (Haitians) and gringos. Also the director of PortMiami is a gringo, some of the top county executives are gringos. And still to this day, funding for Miami's and Florida's big infrastructure projects comes from gringos in New York, and they still cite Henry Flagler as their inspiration.

Last edited by bale002; 11-28-2012 at 03:57 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,963,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
However, interesting to note that, for example, the board of directors of Miami Airport is highly diversified among Hispanics, African Americans (Haitians) and gringos. Also the director of PortMiami is a gringo, some of the top county executives are gringos. And still to this day, funding for Miami's and Florida's big infrastructure projects comes from gringos in New York, and they still cite Henry Flagler as their inspiration.
Just something I'm wondering about, but when Spanish-speaking people use the word "gringo", is that considered a neutral term or does it have a negative connotation? To me, at least, it always has a slightly disdainful ring to it . I'm curious if that's really the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World