Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM

36 posts, read 71,881 times

Advertisements

Curious about this - especially as many developing countries have no real oversight of pesticide use, use stuff that was banned in the US decades ago, etc. When I say "readily available," say at least 30-40 certified organic products including produce, beans, grains, oil, etc. Currently I know the US and Japan are great for organic food - what other countries? Googling didn't produce much.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,941,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krem1234 View Post
Curious about this - especially as many developing countries have no real oversight of pesticide use, use stuff that was banned in the US decades ago, etc. When I say "readily available," say at least 30-40 certified organic products including produce, beans, grains, oil, etc. Currently I know the US and Japan are great for organic food - what other countries? Googling didn't produce much.

Thanks
I was first a little confused by what I've found regarding organic food production/markets from country to country.

The largest consumer markets for oraganic food are found in North America and in Europe, whilst only one of the top five countries (Mexico) in organic food production is located in either of those places (the others are India, Uganda, Ethipoia and Tanzania). Then, I was suddenly reminded of how much of our food (at least here in the U.S.), organic or otherwise, is actually imported, not to mention the fact that only a tiny percentage (roughly 2%) of those imports are actually inspected by the FDA.

I've never found find any info pertaining to the percentage of the U.S. food product mix that is actually organic, but organic food (a food product that contains 70% organic ingredients by U.S. standards) certainly does seem to be widely available in the U.S. This, of course, should not overshadow the food industry's horriffic production/farming practices (practices which are, of course, forbidden in many other countries).

When I visited Australia (which contains a huge of amount of organic farmland) and New Zealand several years ago, I found much of the food to have tasted extremely odd, yet still sort of familiar--and then I was told that most of the food I was eating was, in fact, organic, and that organic food was very much the standard for consumers in those countries' markets...so I don't know, if this is true then perhaps those countries have a substantial consumer demand with an ample supply to provide food for a relatively small domestic market?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Cuba. Nearly all food is totally organic. Nobody bothers to 'certify" it, it just is. Chemical pesticides and fertilizers have been unavailable and virtually non-existent there for more than 20 years.

https://www.google.com/search?source....1.wglWTV9QpJ8

This will come to an immediate end, the minute the Castro regime is replaced and Roundup-ready American agro-monopoly goes in there and gulps it down.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-29-2012 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 AM

190 posts, read 571,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Cuba. Nearly all food is totally organic. Nobody bothers to 'certify" it, it just is. Chemical pesticides and fertilizers have been unavailable and virtually non-existent there for more than 20 years.

https://www.google.com/search?source....1.wglWTV9QpJ8

This will come to an immediate end, the minute the Castro regime is replaced and Roundup-ready American agro-monopoly goes in there and gulps it down.

It won't change much, nowdays Cuba imports 80 percent of their food from the US...and 10 percent of land in private hands produce 80 percent of food produced locally. The only thing that will change is the fact that Castro won't get his 250 percent "pizzu" on all the sale of food for hard currency (CUC).

As to fertilizers, they do have fertilizers, nitrates. I have seen them use it in Hidropónicos and allocated to state-owned cooperatives (and diverted illegally) to private growers. As to the origin and composition, who knows? Probably Chinese, Canadian waste, who knows.

As to the Agro monopolies, I do not think they will need Cuba having cheaper land in Central or South America, in countries with infrastructure. The only Agro monopoly that could be interested in Cuba is the largest producer of sugar in the US, the Fanjuls, and they are Cuban.

As to Cuban Cigars, they are in hands of Tabacalera - Imperial, it probably will change hands.

Fertilizer were probably unavailable during Periodo Especial, 20 years ago, now they have lots of it.....and they don't have the foggiest idea about organic agriculture...althoug probably Cuban official media publishes a lot of the stuff for caviar commies living in capitalist countries that love to dress like Cantiflas-Che.

Last edited by Montpensier; 11-30-2012 at 06:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World