U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,171,873 times

Advertisements

Maybe it seems a weird question but I have always wondered "how do we sound"? I suppose some of you have wondered the same. For me I heard people more or less like this:

French speakers: the language doesn't sound musical, plenty of ggggg sounds throaty ones, diphthongs are made short.
Italian speakers: very musical and clear, the sylabes are clearly separated.
English speakers: British one sounds elegant and more or less clear, American one a bit less, although American vocabulary sounds to me more interesting.
German: strong and not musical at all. Throaty as well but stronger. many jjjjjjjjjjjj
Thai: very soft and important entonation.
Portuguese: Brazilian more musical and European, many sshhh sounds and close vowels.
Spanish: No idea!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,171,873 times
Up!! come on it can be a really interesting thread.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,184,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Maybe it seems a weird question but I have always wondered "how do we sound"? I suppose some of you have wondered the same. For me I heard people more or less like this:

French speakers: the language doesn't sound musical, plenty of ggggg sounds throaty ones, diphthongs are made short.
English speakers: British one sounds elegant and more or less clear, American one a bit less, although American vocabulary sounds to me more interesting.
German: strong and not musical at all. Throaty as well but stronger. many jjjjjjjjjjjj
Portuguese: Brazilian more musical and European, many sshhh sounds and close vowels.
The Portuguese spoken in Rio also has the "sshhh" sound before consonants (which sounds in most of the country as a sinlge "s") and stronger than the people from Portugal. While a natural from São Paulo or Porto Alegre would pronounce a word like "artista" (artist) it sounds like "ar-tees-ta" (with a trilled "r", like in spanish), the people from Rio would say "ah-cheesh-ta".

About other languages:
Spanish sounds maly.
Italian sounds familiar and melodic
French sounds charming and gentle
German, when spoken, sounds pompous, noble. When sung, it's incredible melodic.
English, depends. The received pronounciation is ok, but the American English sounds too nasal.

I have noted that the people here in Brazil has difficulties to distinguish between German, Dutch and the scandinavian languages. In fact, I do speak German and I realised that for German speakers, Dutch is the same of Spanish for Portuguese speakers.

Finnish is funny... Japanese is childish, and Arabian sounds like someone with stuffy nose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 PM

5,929 posts, read 9,588,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post

Agree with italians! They sound so musical and its so much fun to hear the languaje. Recently i was in italy living with locals (my family) and listening dozens of italians speaking every day. I dont understand or speak italian but i could spend hours listening to them and their musical words and that beautiful accent.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:36 AM

20,694 posts, read 21,903,634 times
I can't describe accents.

Spanish: sound very nasle. Easy to identify.
French: Really rough accent.
Italian: Really rough, woman sound like men.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,058,717 times
Thai musical? You should go to an internet cafe and hear a bunch of kids literally just shouting hoarsely - it just sounds like random shouting - worst than nails on chalkboard.

I quite like German and French. Spanish not so much.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,795,693 times
Spanish: Depends on the dialect. Some areas of Mexico sound really pretty, but most don't. Colombians and Venezuelans sound pretty sexy. Argentinians have a very interesting accent, as it sounds more Italian. Chilean is just too fast and has too many words you don't hear anywhere else. Castilian (Euro Spanish) is the easiest dialect for me to understand as it is what my family speaks, and yes I don't mind the lisp or the vosotros, unlike most people.

French: Sounds sexy but with an edge. Canadian French is somewhat entertaining to listen to.

German: Sounds funny, I don't know too much about it though.

Dutch: Funnier than German actually, but flows more nicely.

Swedish: Sounds alright, but Norwegian is prettier to me and more sing-song. Danish sounds extremely staccato and guttural, and it sounds like there's a potato in their mouth. Finnish has a nice flow and quit soft compared to other Nordic neighbours (yes I recognise it's from a completely different language base).

Italian: Beautiful. I dated an Italian guy for awhile and just to hear him speak in Italian, boy I could listen to him all day.

Russian: Rough and quite scary sounding, a lot more serious sounding than German as well. However, I do find it quite beautiful when being sung.

Polish: Doesn't flow the same way Russian does and tends to combine a lot of strange constants.

Chinese: Weird strange sounding and somewhat staccato, but also very pretty when sung.

Japanese: One of my favourite languages to listen to, probably because I'm an Otaku.

Korean: A bit soft compared to Japanese, someone I know once said "like Japanese with a lisp". I also enjoy listening to this language like I do with Japanese.

Vietnamese: Very interesting sounding with such unique phonetics, but can be annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World