U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 48,123 times

Advertisements

I'm going to include Iran, even though it's not an Arab country. Next year I'm going to be a 20-something Indian woman, traveling with two other 20-something Indians (male and female, friends from college) in the Middle East. We're planning on going to a friend's wedding in Tehran next spring (haven't bought tickets yet - saving up), and then we want to check out Dubai, Beirut, Cairo, and maybe Amman. (Obviously not even considering Syria, sadly).

I have dated an Iranian guy in the past, and he turned out to be pretty racist about my "dirty dark skin" (he may have said that because he wasn't getting laid), and I've heard that it's very common to see attitudes like that among Iranians and Arabs. However, I also know there's a big Bollywood fan club out there, so I don't know what to expect.

I'm just curious about what is the common perception of Indians by Middle-Eastern people, and what kind of treatment is common? Responses from people from that region or its diaspora are welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 AM

10,509 posts, read 14,299,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasushi View Post
I'm going to include Iran, even though it's not an Arab country. Next year I'm going to be a 20-something Indian woman, traveling with two other 20-something Indians (male and female, friends from college) in the Middle East. We're planning on going to a friend's wedding in Tehran next spring (haven't bought tickets yet - saving up), and then we want to check out Dubai, Beirut, Cairo, and maybe Amman. (Obviously not even considering Syria, sadly).
Why not include Tel Aviv and Jerusalem in your trip?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,350,480 times
I know South Asian labourers make up the majority in Dubai, so maybe they're often seen as poor workers there? I wouldn't be surprised if there's elements of racism, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of very friendly folk. I'm in Sri Lanka right now actually, and met an Arab man in Colombo. He was friendly, a little TOO friendly if you know what I mean.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM

I reeally want to see Jerusalem, but the others put Cairo as a bigger priority and we don't have the $$ to see both. Also, I'm not sure but I think there is some visa regulation, like people who have been to Israel can't fly into Dubai or vice versa.

Yeah, I think there is definitely that stereotype about South Asian laborers. There's also the stereotype that South Asian women are "easier", which is interesting since the rest of the world thinks we're frigid ice queens!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,350,480 times
Quote:
I reeally want to see Jerusalem, but the others put Cairo as a bigger priority and we don't have the $$ to see both. Also, I'm not sure but I think there is some visa regulation, like people who have been to Israel can't fly into Dubai or vice versa.

Yeah, I think there is definitely that stereotype about South Asian laborers. There's also the stereotype that South Asian women are "easier", which is interesting since the rest of the world thinks we're frigid ice queens!
'Easier'? Where'd you here that stereotype? I get the impression that South Asian women are not ice queens, but they are just very traditional about things like sex, marriage, and they don't just 'put out' like Western and increasingly, East Asian women.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
'Easier'? Where'd you here that stereotype? I get the impression that South Asian women are not ice queens, but they are just very traditional about things like sex, marriage, and they don't just 'put out' like Western and increasingly, East Asian women.
"easier" only in comparison to Arab women, I mean. And this is a stereotype only held by certain Arab guys I've met, so I don't want to imply all Arab guys think this way. Maybe they get the stereotype from having power over their indentured South Asian female servants back at home, or because of Bollywood or whatever.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 AM

2,769 posts, read 3,871,385 times
I've always had the impression that Gulf Arabs don't think too highly of Indians. Go to the UAE and most of the white and blue collar labor force is Indian. This is because the local population is either too lazy or don't have the talent/brains to drive their own economies(atleast the non-oil part), so most of them live of the generous public dole or make a living in the non-competitive public sector. The blue collar Indians get treated like absolute garbage, and the white collar ones are tolerated but would never be on equal footing socially or legally with the local Arabs.

I don't think Arabs from the Levant or the Maghreb really have an opinion about Indians since they probably don't know much about India/Indians and have had little contact with them.

Persians tend to rather pleasant and affable from my experience, unless they are one of those haughty, money grubbing ones from Great Neck, NY. Some Persians sorta have it in their head that Persians are the best damn thing on the planet, but you'll also find quite a few Indians who display a similar gaudy ethno-centrism as well.

Don't get me started on Islam.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 12-03-2012 at 01:23 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 AM

4,192 posts, read 4,185,240 times
Indians in Middle East are looked upon the same way as Hispanics in USA.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM

23,715 posts, read 28,133,954 times
Quote:
I really want to see Jerusalem, but the others put Cairo as a bigger priority and we don't have the $$ to see both. Also, I'm not sure but I think there is some visa regulation, like people who have been to Israel can't fly into Dubai or vice versa.

Cairo is no longer safe for anyone. If Israel is added to your list, then it should be the last stop before leaving the Middle East. There is no direct flight to Dubai from Israel or visversa. But what I do is buy a one way ticket from Dubai to Amman via Emirates. And then buy a seperate ticket via Royal Jordanian and fly from Amman to Israel. No visa is required for Amman since you are not leaving the airport. The issue is not an Israeli stamp in a passport, its being an Israeli citizen where issues can arise.

As to other Arab countries you're going to have to pay an application fee for nearly every one to just apply for a visa. There is no guarantee that you'll get one and there is no refund.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 PM

42,661 posts, read 81,090,783 times
The Arabs see the Indians as cheap labor, and the Indians see the Arabs as barbarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World