Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick?
Istanbul 68 74.73%
Moscow 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Not as big as Hague Sophia of course, but dating back to 1400ies the Dormition Cathedral in Kremlin is one of the biggest importance in Moscow...

Dormition Cathedral, Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( I'll see what I can find on newer districts of Moscow... )
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
What's the building to the right of the cathedral? Actually, it looks like two buildings joined. What a fascinating architectural study!
(Sorry if I'm asking more questions than you can answer. )

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's the building to the right of the cathedral? Actually, it looks like two buildings joined. What a fascinating architectural study!
(Sorry if I'm asking more questions than you can answer. )
Hmmm... I am not sure which one exactly you are talking about, but if you'll look at the description of Cathedral Square in Kremlin - you'll know what Churches/other historical buildings there are...

Cathedral Square, Moscow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS. I'll try to answer your question regarding "old Moscow" pics as well...

Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM

OK, a bit more of old(er) parts of Moscow -

The newer parts of the city...

...and the most dreaded newest ones on outskirts of Moscow, dubbed as "sleeping districts" ( meaning people have such a long commute to their work and back, that they only come to sleep in their apartments.)

I hope that gives the general idea of the city ( which is really a huge megalopolis by now - 10 mil. + people...)

Last edited by erasure; 12-07-2012 at 12:41 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sounds fine, it would be great to see them. It's weird that this subforum isn't just filled with amazing photographs.
I get my fix elsewhere. TOS prevent me from posting a link but you can PM me if you want. But be careful, if you think you're spending too much time on C-D, it's not going to get any better on those other sites

Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
OK, a bit more of old(er) parts of Moscow -

The newer parts of the city...

...and the most dreaded newest ones on outskirts of Moscow, dubbed as "sleeping districts" ( meaning people have such a long commute to their work and back, that they only come to sleep in their apartments.)

I hope that gives the general idea of the city ( which is really a huge megalopolis by now - 10 mil. + people...)
The old parts of the city are beautiful--I assume they're also a lot more expensive. It's amazing how bad the urban design is for the newer parts of the city.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I posted a few of them above. Here's a few I snapped from the Aya Sofya and Blue Mosque

(From the luxurious Aya Sofya Hammam)
Nice pictures there

Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Be careful what you wish for. We had a spammer who would flood the Russia threads with photos.

Erasure, who took the photo of the camel in front of the MacDonald's sign? That's just priceless!
What church is that, in what neighborhood? Are there two churches there? It looks like there's a 2nd one farther back...
Ruth, I assume that all pics are made by my girl-friend, (an ex)-neighbor next door, but I am still waiting for an answer where did she find a LIVE camel in the midst of Moscow ( now that I've realized that it was a real camel indeed...)

Old 12-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The old parts of the city are beautiful--I assume they're also a lot more expensive. It's amazing how bad the urban design is for the newer parts of the city.
Oy, the new buildings came in place I believe around the 60ies, when a lot of people from near-by villages ( and from all over the country ) started moving to Moscow to fill the spots on Moscow's factories. Plus downtown homes were mostly what's called "communal apartments" when few families shared the same amenities ( bathroom, kitchen) so the families with children in particular were moved into those new buildings where each family had its own apartment.
Back in 70ies the newer districts had their own perks - plenty of space around, huge parks and ponds. It was great time to have a dog in Moscow))) So those locations ( and apartments) were actually quite desirable.
In post-Soviet times things turned around and real estate in the center of Moscow became highly prestigious and crazily expensive.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 PM

21 posts, read 35,816 times
about history, all anatolia and istanbul is an heaven for an archelogist.
we Turks are building a subway tunnel under bosphorus thats around a km long and while digging down,
they found ancient harbour remains dating back to 380-390 AC, with 36 ship remains and over 40 000 distinct historical pieces.
called theodosius harbor. they found 8500 years old human footprints as well
but this ancient things stopped subway construction for a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World