Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick?
Istanbul 68 74.73%
Moscow 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,483,449 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Moscow, but I pick Istanbul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,956,677 times
The choice is easy and it is Istanbul. Yet if it was St Petersburg vs Istanbul the decision would have been harder.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 AM

36,939 posts, read 38,939,780 times
Just a little historical note: both Istanbul and Moscow have at some point been termed a New Rome as a successor to the Roman Empire.

These are pretty exciting cities here that are probably going to have an amazing century.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM

26,720 posts, read 22,313,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just a little historical note: both Istanbul and Moscow have at some point been termed a New Rome as a successor to the Roman Empire.

These are pretty exciting cities here that are probably going to have an amazing century.
Interesting question; so Rome was Rome, the second Rome was Byzantium with Constantinople as its capitol (that Turks have destroyed, turned to Islam and renamed "Istanbul". )

Now Russia ( with Moscow as its capital) became the Third Rome ( because of all the connections with fallen Byzantium,) but what would make Istanbul a "New Rome?"

Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Interesting question; so Rome was Rome, the second Rome was Byzantium with Constantinople as its capitol (that Turks have destroyed, turned to Islam and renamed "Istanbul". )

Now Russia ( with Moscow as its capital) became the Third Rome ( because of all the connections with fallen Byzantium,) but what would make Istanbul a "New Rome?"
You said it, it was Constantinople. Even when the Ottomans took over, they declared themselves Caeser of Rome. Also, Mehmet II who took over Constantinople somewhere back in his lineage actually had a Byzantine princess. If you're saying Istanbul's claim isn't much good due to Islam, sure, but Rome started with pagan gods and Moscow might have brought in a version of the religion but it's culturally pretty different from the Mediterranean.

Anyhow, it's just a historic novelty. Both were claimed as new Romes for various reasons at various times. I just thought it was interesting.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 PM

592 posts, read 825,299 times
I picked Istanbul easily!

Cuisine- Istanbul and its not even close. Turkey has one of the world's best cooking cultures. Russia is arguably the worst.

Scenery- Istanbul! Once again, they don't even compare.

Tourism- Istanbul but Moscow is improving.

Shopping- Moscow for high end, Istanbul for everything else. But you can find the exact same high end shops in Istanbul. So Istanbul overall.

Nightlife- Depends. Istanbul is more bustling at night. Moscow has more nightclubs and bars though. Socially Moscow is more liberal, which leads to some crazier nightlife.

Sports- Russia. They might not take soccer as seriously as the Turks, but the do take their ice sports seriously and individual sports.

However, its not even a comparison to me. Istanbul had great food, the people were far more hospitable, there was much more going on, its more beautiful. Moscow gave me a depressed feeling in a similar way Detroit does- though they aren't similar.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM

124 posts, read 122,230 times
Constantinople

Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 PM

26,720 posts, read 22,313,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Constantinople
I'd choose Constantinople myself - it's warm there.
Just not Istanbul.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,511,760 times
This is myself right now:

So Istanbul gets my vote.

Edit: not sure why it showed up sideways. Too lazy to re-upload, though.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I'd choose Constantinople myself - it's warm there.
Just not Istanbul.
Don't let the name stop people from watching you glisten in the Mediterranean sun. Do it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World