Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 AM

4,640 posts, read 13,951,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
They ranked 221 cities, of course there are other French cities. Lyon is actually #39 on the list, and a few other cities are likely there, but out of the top 50. A common criticism of the Mercer ranking is its heavy country component, so cities of a given country are often clustered together. Case in point the US have no city in the top 27 but then 8 in the next 21. Tokyo, Kobe, Yokohama are 44, 48, 49. and so on..

Not sure I understand your last comment. Are you saying Switzerland and Austria should have more cities in the top 30 than Germany? You want them to rank Lausanne and Graz??
Well, there is a lot more than just 221 cities in the world and maybe as much as 1,000+.

At the minimum, there should be at least 400 to 500 cities included for ranking quality of life with various cities in the world.

The website links I saw for that just showed the top 30, so it did not show all of the other 221 cities that it focused on. The website link you posted shows a few more cities, but only up to the top 50.

That comprehensive quality of life index survey should have an easily accessible chart that shows all 221 cities.

Lyon did well at 39th place but I can see it qualifying for the top 20 to top 30. I am not sure if they have Grenoble, Nice, Strasbourg, Lille, and Bordeaux somewhere in the chart but I can see them being in the top 30 to top 50.

For what I said about Germany, I just don’t see it being number 1 for number of cities in the top 30. At the most, I would still include Berlin, Hamburg, and maybe Leipzig, and Dresden so around 2 to 4 cities total.

With what I said about Switzerland, Austria vs. Germany, they are all in competition for being between 4th place to 6th place for number of cities in the top 30, so either an equal amount of cities between all 3 countries, a slightly lower amount, or slightly higher amount.

For Switzerland: Geneva, Zurich, Bern, Lausanne, and Basel.

For Austria: Vienna, Innsbruck, Linz, Salzburg, Graz.

Quote:
Man, you sure agree and disagree with a lot of stuff. How many of those cities have you actually been to?
It is good to agree and disagree with a lot of stuff in life. I was just simply reviewing all cities in the top 30 and saying the cities I agree with and don’t agree with. I already went to plenty of those cities.

For places people did not visit yet, they can still form specific, substantial, valuable, and accurate opinions for those places.

Last edited by ; 12-14-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Maybe Pigeonhole can chime in
Who is that?

I am sure that person started to enjoy and respect France a lot, changed most of those opinions about France, and finally realized France is one of the best places to live in the world.

Before that, pigeonhole thought Mexico was better than France for quality of life, what it offers, including for people that are not middle class/upper class. lol Mexico.

Pigeonhole also seemed to forget about all of the areas of Southern France, overseas collectivities, and areas of France outside of Ile-de-France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Normandy, Picardy, and Brittany. That is only 5 out of 27 regions of France.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM

In an earlier post, I said all of the cities in the top 30 I agree and don’t agree with qualifying the high ranks and standards.

With this post, I’ll say the cities I would live in and not live in, and that is technically a separate category for perception.

Cities in the top 30 I would love living in: Vienna, Zurich, Vancouver, Geneva, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Melbourne, Brussels, Montreal, Paris, Singapore, San Francisco.

Good/Decent to live in: Sydney, Toronto, Berlin, Hamburg, Honolulu, Adelaide.

Neutral: Munich, Frankfurt, Bern, Luxembourg, Perth, Nuremburg, Stuttgart.

Kind of dislike and would not want to live there: Wellington

Kind of hate and there is no way I would live there: Auckland, Dusseldorf, Canberra, Ottawa.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,899,194 times
Before that, pigeonhole thought Mexico was better than France for quality of life, what it offers, including for people that are not middle class/upper class. lol Mexico.

Before sneering at me, read the Mexico forum and you 'll see how many Americans who live in certain parts of Mexico (no, obviuously not Ciudad Juarez but Mexico, DF, Rosarito, BC, Ajijic near Lake Chapala, Pto Vallarta and many more places) find they have a higher quality of life than in the USA , and that the average people is in no way miserable (Mexico is an emerging country after all, the first world fortune is a Mexican billionaire)....get an education instead of alway repeating that France is the best without wanting to hear a different opinion!
(and I didn't even talk of the climate -ok it's true I like it warm-or the beauty of the landmarks -Mexico with 1, 9 million sq km has more diverse landscapes and climates than France with 670 000 sq km (overseas territories included)...

Old 12-19-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Before sneering at me, read the Mexico forum and you 'll see how many Americans who live in certain parts of Mexico (no, obviuously not Ciudad Juarez but Mexico, DF, Rosarito, BC, Ajijic near Lake Chapala, Pto Vallarta and many more places) find they have a higher quality of life than in the USA , and that the average people is in no way miserable (Mexico is an emerging country after all, the first world fortune is a Mexican billionaire)....get an education instead of always repeating that France is the best without wanting to hear a different opinion!
(and I didn't even talk of the climate -ok it's true I like it warm-or the beauty of the landmarks -Mexico with 1, 9 million sq km has more diverse landscapes and climates than France with 670 000 sq km (overseas territories included)...
I am already very well educated in mind, spirit, with my life, etc.

The places someone enjoys and respects the most is just about individual preferences and is not necessarily related to their level of education.

People are entitled to their opinions for the places in the world they prefer the most, including you. However, I continue to be very surprised those are your views for France vs. Mexico.

It is a lot easier to have a higher quality of life in France compared to Mexico, and a much higher percentage of France has supportive places that are compatible for that kind of life. That is an objective reality. A lot of Mexico is horrible devastating slums and also a lot of mediocre/bland areas.

However, I know some areas of Mexico are decent. I actually visited the Yucatan Peninsula/Cancun area when I was 14 years old. I liked that trip back then and had a lot of fun. That area of Mexico is unique with the Mayan culture history/historic sites, and tropical forests/beaches.

I just view France to be a lot better and superior compared to Mexico for plenty of reasons and France is one of my favorite places. France also has a lot of variety in landscapes.

Weather/Climate is so overrated and I don’t know why some people think it is so important related to qualify to life when so many other things matter more in life. However, the regions of Southern France has a warm climate, and all of the overseas collectivities/5+ various Hawaii’s that France has with Reunion, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Mayotte etc.

It appears you forget about all of the areas of France outside of Northern France: Ile-de-France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Picardy, Normandy, Brittany etc.

I’m not sure why you don’t focus more on Southern France: Provence Cote d’Azur, Corsica, Languedoc-Roussilion, Midi-Pyrenees, Aquitaine, southern Rhole-Alpes etc. + overseas tropical areas of France.

Last edited by ; 12-19-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,220,443 times
Asuncion, Paraguay. Not too big to get around in, relaxed lifestyle, very little real poverty, low crime by Latin American standards. Clean, healthful climate.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM

326 posts, read 1,043,794 times
I always take these surveys with bit a pinch of salt as the criteria are so subjective Monocle and the Economist Intelligence Unit magazines do similar ones :

World's most livable cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They always tend to favour medium sized mid-ranking cities in Scandinavia, the Alpine States or Australasia. While these cities are all clean and well run and have great economies - they're not for everyone.

Likewise London and New York never seem to get a look in. Paris always features but is always quite low down. While these cities have their obvious problems over somewhere cleaner and more well run like Zurich or Helsinki - it seems a little artificial to relegate them out of the top 20 "most liveable" cities when so many hundreds of thousands flock there every year in search of a better life and more opportunity.

How much of a realistic option is living Vienna or Copenhagen for most people? Vienna may be rich and clean and has a metro that runs like clockwork - it's hard to get a good job if you don't speak German. Copenhagen is way more expensive than London or NYC, and arguably has an even worse climate.

Aussie cities are fabulously wealthy now and have amazing climates, but ask the 100,000+ Aussie community in London (and the smaller ones in New York, Paris, Amsterdam...) why they don't live Down Under and they'll tell you about the limitations of living in a country of just 20million souls and the lack of culture and buzz.

Meanwhile London and Paris have bike sharing and beautiful parks and food markets a plenty. Both are pretty clean and have incredible public transport.

Come on, I think we need to be a bit more realistic here. I'm not knocking Zurich etc, but we need some perspective.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 AM

27,737 posts, read 28,848,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
I always take these surveys with bit a pinch of salt as the criteria are so subjective Monocle and the Economist Intelligence Unit magazines do similar ones :

World's most livable cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They always tend to favour medium sized mid-ranking cities in Scandinavia, the Alpine States or Australasia. While these cities are all clean and well run and have great economies - they're not for everyone.

Likewise London and New York never seem to get a look in. Paris always features but is always quite low down. While these cities have their obvious problems over somewhere cleaner and more well run like Zurich or Helsinki - it seems a little artificial to relegate them out of the top 20 "most liveable" cities when so many hundreds of thousands flock there every year in search of a better life and more opportunity.

How much of a realistic option is living Vienna or Copenhagen for most people? Vienna may be rich and clean and has a metro that runs like clockwork - it's hard to get a good job if you don't speak German. Copenhagen is way more expensive than London or NYC, and arguably has an even worse climate.

Aussie cities are fabulously wealthy now and have amazing climates, but ask the 100,000+ Aussie community in London (and the smaller ones in New York, Paris, Amsterdam...) why they don't live Down Under and they'll tell you about the limitations of living in a country of just 20million souls and the lack of culture and buzz.

Meanwhile London and Paris have bike sharing and beautiful parks and food markets a plenty. Both are pretty clean and have incredible public transport.

Come on, I think we need to be a bit more realistic here. I'm not knocking Zurich etc, but we need some perspective.
I agree with everything you said here. Articles like the one in OP are biased and are just rooting for certain types of underdog cities in the developed world. Who in the world thinks that Auckland, New Zealand has the third best quality of life? (rolls eyes)

Overall, this information is useless.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,152,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
At the minimum, there should be at least 400 to 500 cities included for ranking quality of life with various cities in the world.

The website links I saw for that just showed the top 30, so it did not show all of the other 221 cities that it focused on. The website link you posted shows a few more cities, but only up to the top 50.

That comprehensive quality of life index survey should have an easily accessible chart that shows all 221 cities.
So you're saying Mercer should
1) gather data for 400-500 cities instead of 221; and
2) make the whole report public, free of charge.

OK. Personally, I think they should be paying me $5 million/year so that I can quit my job and personally travel to all those cities, to implement a ranking that makes sense.

Am I doing this right?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,220,443 times
Did anybody else notice that the top 28 are all in countries in which the primary language is of Germanic origin? And that Singapore is the only one in which the population is not predominately of northern European ancestry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World