Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM

667 posts, read 940,516 times

Advertisements

Munich
Dusseldorf
Hamburg
Amsterdam
Zurich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM

667 posts, read 940,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
and finally realized France is one of the best places to live in the world..

Probably only for French people, but not for foreigns. Extremely few of Frenchman can speak English, if you ask for the way in English you can receive either nor answer, or even a wrong direction.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:57 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
Probably only for French people, but not for foreigns. Extremely few of Frenchman can speak English, if you ask for the way in English you can receive either nor answer, or even a wrong direction.
If you live there, I assume you're going to learn the language?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Asuncion, Paraguay. Not too big to get around in, relaxed lifestyle, very little real poverty, low crime by Latin American standards. Clean, healthful climate.
Waddaya know? Just a few hours after I posted that, comes this Gallup poll report that Paraguayans are the happiest people in the world. I knew I had found a well-kept secret in Paraguay.

Latin Americans rank as happiest people on planet - Yahoo! News

Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Waddaya know? Just a few hours after I posted that, comes this Gallup poll report that Paraguayans are the happiest people in the world. I knew I had found a well-kept secret in Paraguay.

Darn you are good jtur, one of the very best posters on cd!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:48 PM

98 posts, read 268,822 times
Scandinavian cities have probably the best quality of life according to most of economical parameters. But you must accept the climate (especially in Norway).

Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Did anybody else notice that the top 28 are all in countries in which the primary language is of Germanic origin? And that Singapore is the only one in which the population is not predominately of northern European ancestry?
That is false for what you said with this.

Why focus on a Germanic label? This reminds me of when a Germanic label was used too much in the Europe forum.

A lot of places in the top 29 such as Vancouver, Geneva, Copenhagen, Sydney, Amsterdam, Wellington, Auckland, Toronto, Melbourne, Brussels, Montreal, Honolulu, Adelaide, Paris, etc. are not quite Northern European ancestry/British/Scandinavian or Germanic.

There is a lot of Western European, French, Dutch, Canadian, Australian, etc.

Also, Austrian and Swiss have a character and identity separate from Germany, even with some German connections.

Quote:
Asuncion, Paraguay. Not too big to get around in, relaxed lifestyle, very little real poverty, low crime by Latin American standards. Clean, healthful climate.
That was a surprise you said Asuncion is number 1 for an important popular topic such as this. Those are actually not enough reasons to rank highly for quality of life.

There is also a very large excitement and opportunities categories/factors involved with quality of life. Asuncion does poorly in those categories.

Quote:

Scandinavians, Western Europeans etc. are ranked as the happiest people in the world.

I don’t take Yahoo news seriously, and most forms of news media in the USA.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
What you said there is so false and not accurate about France. It appears obvious you never visited France before and don’t know much about that country.

I said a lot of specific, and valuable parts to this topic, so why did you quote/cite just that one sentence that I wrote earlier when you could have focused on the other parts more?

France is one of the best places in the world for both French people and “foreigners.” That country actually has a large amount of racial/ethnic/cosmopolitan diversity. I guess some people continue to somehow not know about that.

France literally gets millions of tourists each year and is usually ranked number 1 for countries that get the most annual international tourists: 20 Most Popular Countries as Tourist Destinations

A very large percentage of French people know English. From my experience, a significant amount of French people even know how to communicate better English than first language native speakers in UK/England, USA, Canada, etc.

People should learn French if they are going to live there or even visit but they can actually be there rather easily even without knowing French and just English.

If someone visits Canada, USA, UK/England, Australia, New Zealand, etc. they need to know English to travel and live there, so why do you have double standards with that?

Quote:
Munich
Dusseldorf
Hamburg
Amsterdam
Zurich
Yes, for Amsterdam, Hamburg, and Zurich. That is also true for Paris, Lyon, Nice, Grenoble, and at least 50 other cities in 20 other countries.

Not quite for Dusseldorf and Munich.

You seem to have double standards with Swiss, Dutch, and German cities vs. French cities.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
If you live there, I assume you're going to learn the language?
I agree that plenty of times people should learn the native language for the new place that they live in.

However, what if those people lived in more than 3 countries with more than 3 native languages, if they are just going to live there just for a short time, or if most of the people in that country fluently know other languages, etc. So not quite in every situation and every place.

For a separate part of this topic, I wonder how other Dutch cities/towns compare to Amsterdam, including for what they offer and quality of life? Maybe you can tell me more about that. What are your other favorite Dutch cities/towns outside of Amsterdam?

Amsterdam certainly deserves to rank very highly in the top 15 in the world for quality of life.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
That is false for what you said with this.

Why focus on a Germanic label? .
Please read again what I said: the top 28 are all in countries in which the primary language is of Germanic origin

Do you know which languages are of Germanic origin? German, Dutch, Scandinavian, and English. One of those is the predominant language in the countries of all the top 28 cities. I didn't cause that to happen by focusing on a Germanic label. Those countries spoke what were known to be Germanic-root languages long before I was born. Blame somebody else if you believe that widely linguistic theory is wrong.

What I am pointing out is that the Germanic-root language speakers (rich people with investment portfolios) who made up the list chose only cities in countries where people speak Germanic-root languages. Using only "objective" criteria which are valued by people in Germanic-speaking countries -- i.e., amenities for the rich. Which is neither unexpected nor surprising. I could have said they are all in countries where a European language is spoken, but it turned out that none are in Romance or Slavic language countries, either --only Germanic. The closest any of the top 28 come would be Montreal and Brussels, where French is also spoken, but it is not predominant in the country.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-22-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World