Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 AM

4,640 posts, read 13,949,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you know which languages are of Germanic origin? German, Dutch, Scandinavian, and English. One of those is the predominant language in the countries of all the top 28 cities. I didn't cause that to happen by focusing on a Germanic label. Those countries spoke Germanic-root languages long before I was born.

What I am pointing out is that the Germanic-root language speakers (at CNN) who made up the list chose only cities in countries where people speak Germanic-root languages. Which is neither unexpected nor surprising. I could have said they are all in countries where a European language is spoken, but it turned out that none are in Romance or Slavic language countries, either --only Germanic. The closest any of the top 28 come would be Montreal and Brussels, where French is also spoken, but it is not predominant in the country.
I already know the languages that are sometimes categorized as Germanic origin but I don’t agree with that definition and label. That Germanic label is misleading, not accurate, and way too broad to be used properly.

I also thought you were referring to plenty of other parts outside of language related to the countries the cities are in.

In the top 28, Montreal and Brussels are some of many that don't qualify for the label you are referring to, and that is even more accurate when the top 29 to top 50 are included.

No support and defense anymore for Asuncion Paraguay? I guess you want to keep that place as a secret all to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,200,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I already know the languages that are sometimes categorized as Germanic origin but I don’t agree with that definition and label. That Germanic label is misleading, not accurate, and way too broad to be used properly.
Linguistics is an extremely well-developed science, and the basic language groupings are undisputed. Germanic languages are those that can be traced directly back to northern Europe about 2-3,000 years ago, and they show obvious vocabulary and grammar similarities. You say "sometimes" -- I challenge you to produce a single link to a linguist who would argue that those languages are not traceable directly to a common Germanic root tongue.

Germanic languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Proto-Norse did not begin to drift away from Proto-Germanic until the Christian era, and evolved into Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. Dutch was still considered a mere local dialect of German until many centuries later. There are runic inscriptions all over Scandinavia, dating from the 2nt to 6th centuries, attesting to the languages being nearly identical to Old Germanic. Germanic became the language of England in the 5th century with the Anglo-Saxon invasion, and Germans could still understand English until the 11th century, when the Norman invasion filled English with French words.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-22-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,224,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
And a new edition of:

What city has world's best quality of life? - CNN.com

Austria: 1
Switzerland: 3
New Zealand: 2
Germany: 7
Canada: 4
Denmark: 1
Australia: 5
Netherlands:1
Luxembourg: 1
Belgium: 1
Singapore: 1
United States: 2
France: 1

Based on this, the Top 3 countries would be: Germany, Australia, and Canada.

Important details:

And some of the worst cities to live in:

lmao @ Detroit. Who woulda thunk ?

The worst of the worst is: Baghdad, Iraq at #221.
I always wondered why some San Franciscans would refer to their city as "Baghdad by the Bay". What an insult..especially with SF's ranking at #29 and Baghdad at a dismal #221.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM

201 posts, read 417,434 times
These quality of life surveys are ridiculous. A good life is not an easy life. People don't want a simple easy existence, they want to be challenged and driven to their best.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,284,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
These quality of life surveys are ridiculous. A good life is not an easy life. People don't want a simple easy existence, they want to be challenged and driven to their best.
How do you know that these surveys are about a "simple easy existence"? Didn't read anything about how exactly they defined quality of life at CNN.
Anyway, challenge can be good and bad and I disagree that everyone wants to be challenged. Not everyone wants to be a high-performer. At some point in life, safety and predictability are very important, too. Even to those who took up every challenge.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,443,633 times
"-est in the World"...

...makes my BS meter go off. Basically any cultural commentary that comes in a numbered list makes my BS meter go off. Not saying the list doesn't contain a lot of cities with high quality of life, but the rankings change so dramatically from list to list, year to year, combined with dubious or mis-weighted criteria as to make these lists not worth much.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:10 PM

11,655 posts, read 13,020,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
In an earlier post, I said all of the cities in the top 30 I agree and don’t agree with qualifying the high ranks and standards.

With this post, I’ll say the cities I would live in and not live in, and that is technically a separate category for perception.

Cities in the top 30 I would love living in: Vienna, Zurich, Vancouver, Geneva, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Melbourne, Brussels, Montreal, , Singapore, San Francisco.

Good/Decent to live in: Sydney, Toronto, Berlin, Hamburg, Honolulu,

Neutral: Munich, Frankfurt, Bern, Luxembourg, , Nuremburg, Stuttgart.

Kind of dislike and would not want to live there: Wellington

Kind of hate and there is no way I would live there: Auckland, Dusseldorf, Canberra, Ottawa.
I'll my one.

Cities in the top 30 I would love living in: Adelaide, Perth, San Francisco, Paris, Melbourne

Good/Decent to live in: Canberra

Neutral: Vienna, Zurich, Vancouver, Geneva, Honolulu

Kind of dislike and would not want to live there: Brussels, Montreal, Toronto, Copenhagen, Luxembourg, Bern, Ottawa

Kind of hate and there is no way I would live there: Auckland, Wellington, Munich, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World