Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Yeah not very different from current pure South American.
Yes, they are related groups, not all that different in appearance.

The fact is, full blooded Native Americans differ somewhat in their appearances depending on what part of the continent they are from, and indeed many have white blood in them from centuries of interactions with European peoples even if they remain culturally native American. The natives from the reserves I lived near in Quebec look somewhat different from the natives I know in British Columbia, who have somewhat different features. It's analagous to the differences you see between people from Southern Italy and people from Scandinavia. Here are some pictures of various Amerindian people.

This is Buffy St. Marie, a successful singer song writer who is a Cree from the Great Plains. She was born in the province of Saskatchewan on a rural reserve.

Here's a video of Buffy's, made decades ago when she was a young woman, just so you can see what she looked like (also it's a great song, one of my favourites):

Buffy Sainte-Marie - Cod'ine - YouTube

This is Waneek Horn-Miller, a former Olympic Athlete and a Mohawk, from the Kahnawke reserve, which is just across the river the city of Montreal. I am acquainted with her and she is a lovely woman!

This lady, I don't know her name. She is a Kuna indian, from Kuna Yala in Panama:

This is Lorne Cardinal, a noted Canadian actor. He's also a Plains Cree but I thought I'd feature him as I didn't have enough men yet.

Here he is on his hit sitcom, Corner Gas:

Davis Corner Gas - YouTube

Here's grand chief Stewart Phillip of the Penticton, British Columbia Indian Band:

This is Armando Manzanero, a famous musician from Mexico, who is a Mayan:

This is Norma Howard, a water colour painter who is a Choctaw, from Oklahoma.

This is Natar Ungalaaq, an Inuk from the arctic who has starred in several commerically successful big budget Inuktitut language movies, like Atanarjuat: the Fast Runner, and Ce Qu'il Faut Pour Vivre (The Necessities of Life). Although I don't know if Inuit people (called Eskimos abroad) count as Native Americans.

Finally, here's just an everyday group of modern Native American people making music at a summer pow wow.

Pow Wow Music - Native Drumming - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OIo63Dc0UU

Last edited by BIMBAM; 12-08-2012 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 06:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
I'm not Native American, but spent some time on the Navajo reservation that spans Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah; I have a few Navajo friends from here in LA and they invited me to come visit them for a few weeks a few years back.

Here are what a few of them look like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc
They look like Asians to me.
They're distant descendents that crossed a landbridge over from Siberia in during the late ice age. There are multiple genetic haplotypes that exist among Native Americans that originated in different parts of the world, ranging from all over Asia and ever as far as Northeastern Europe - this was probably part of the origin of the different tribes and nations that eventually developed.

Many Native Americans now have white ancestry; conversely, there are many white and black people who also claim some Native American ancestry... though it's usually such a small sliver and they're so culturally removed, it's more just interesting trivia than anything else.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
This is Natar Ungalaaq, an Inuk from the arctic who has starred in several commerically successful big budget Inuktitut language movies, like Atanarjuat: the Fast Runner, and Ce Qu'il Faut Pour Vivre (The Necessities of Life). Although I don't know if Inuit people (called Eskimos abroad) count as Native Americans.
My paternal grandma was Inuktitut/Chukchi... the Inuktitut are considered "First Nations People" in Canada but I don't think so in the US. The Chukchi are just considered "Siberian" to Russians.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
full blood NA are pretty rare, unless they marry another NA from the same tribe they would not remain true native americans

most these days only have partial NA ancestory

you would have to look at early photographs to see how the real native americans looked

inter-racial marriage wasnt as common as it is today

every person Ive ever met that claimed to be a native american had caucasion ancestory or hispanic ancestory mixtures

I guess you could travel to south america and still see some indiginious tribes that are still around

Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
full blood NA are pretty rare, unless they marry another NA from the same tribe they would not remain true native americans

most these days only have partial NA ancestory

you would have to look at early photographs to see how the real native americans looked

inter-racial marriage wasnt as common as it is today

every person Ive ever met that claimed to be a native american had caucasion ancestory or hispanic ancestory mixtures

I guess you could travel to south america and still see some indiginious tribes that are still around
It's rare but it's not that rare that you could only look at old pictures (as my post shows). There's also a a whole heck of alot of full blooded NA in the isolated places in Northern Canada where other ethnic groups never really settled.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
There is no one "type". They're as varied as Europeans, if not more so.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
There are a lot of full-blooded Natives in New Mexico, though many Puebloans have a Spaniard in the woodpile. Even in the Northeast, most tribes who have experienced measurable intermarriage still have unmistakable indigenous phenotypes, i.e., you know they are Native when you see them.

I would consider a Puebloan who is 1/8 Spanish to be more or less pure blooded, but I scoff at Caucasians who are 1/8 Cherokee and consider themselves Native.

Ultimately, too much is made of the racist one-drop rule. I mean, you would be hard pressed to find many 'pure' Europeans without some sort of Hunnic, Finnic, Semitic, or Moorish DNA.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Native americans ive met range from white to asian. Its weird. Most native americans came from eastern russia area so some look white while others look very asian. Although some "native americans" ive met are really only a third or less native american and just want to show off.
Do you meet native Americans on a regular basis or something.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Do you meet native Americans on a regular basis or something.
It depends on where you live. If you live in NYC or Boston? Probably not so much... but Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, etc etc all have large Native American populations and yeah, you'll see them every day.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,730 times
The original man of the planet is the African. Let me say that again the original man of the planet. it would take me too long to unlearn you of all your stupidity. Lets start with the Olmecs of Mexico. Then go look at Noah Webster's definition of an American 1826 or 1836 or you can just google copper color people found here by the European map pull a penny out of your pocket you don't look like that to me you don't belong here,want more. Verrazano the first explorer to actually reach North America describe the people as looking like Ethiopians. The southern tip of South America is only 1300 miles from the southern tip of Africa just a straight shot across. The African built the pyramids in Africa and they built the pyramids in South America every other race on this planet is a child of the African what you see the Native American is a mixed blood between the Africa and a mongoloid Asian the European genetically can only be traced back six thousand years there's a calendar Adams calendar in Africa 100000 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World