Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Here in Argentina, yes, most cafes, restaurants, and the like, are offering free wifi. Also the subway in BA offers free wifi.

The quality of the connection varies depending on the place, but I personally have never had major problems connecting at those spots. Just yesterday I was in a little, family-owned bar, and I used the wifi connection to work there.

Well, my experience in London in 2010 was a bit difficult. It wasn't very easy to get a free wifi connection. Most that I encountered I had to pay for. Pity I wasn't in this forum... I should have asked you then... :P
All you have to do in London is go to any of the Wetherspoons pubs/restaurants, or a Starbucks....no wait, don't go to Starbucks until they pay all their taxes. Anyway, it's easy to find free wifi in London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,536,189 times
Yep.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,893,420 times
Yes they do, everywhere does.

Infact now, you can pretty much get it anywhere, like you can get it on your phone out and about and soon when I activate my Iphone 5 I will get 4G WOOP WOOP!!!

You can also get it on the Local bus and train network.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,134,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I stayed at four different hotels in the U.S. last year. Only one offered free (very slow) WiFi. Even the rather expensive NYC hotel charged $10 per day.
Your four were not very representative of the hotels and motels I have stayed at. Virtually every one in the past four years has had free WiFi. Motel 6 (the cheapest chain in the United States) made you pay for it as of the last time I checked, but otherwise, it's generally free. The exception is at high-end "business" hotels. It's there that you generally have to pay for it, which is ironic, because they can cost up to five or more times the cheapest option. This has actually been discussed in the Travel forum here before, I believe.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 13 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,927,422 times
That is surprisingly a very recent phenomenon that just started to happen in the Early to Mid 2000s just 10 years ago. There is increasing popularity for the use of free wifi internet connection computers/phones at Cafes, Hotels, A few Restaurants, some other public spaces and that is becoming more ubiquitous over time.

I enjoy seeing this trend being more popular and for people to use their computer/phone/internet outside of their home and to have those real possibilities.

My favorite kind of place for using computer wifi outside of my home is at Independent Cafés that have an exciting ambience and a perfect place to use my computer there for hours.

There needs to be even more high quality independent café bars all over the world that have plenty of character and soul in the ambience that also offer computer wifi/outlet plugs/internet connection, and at the same time those café bars selling coffee/tea, desserts, restaurants meals, and eclectic activity where that same place can also be a place to socialize, and read a book, other than using the computer/phone.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:05 PM

994 posts, read 1,237,754 times
It varies in the UK. If you're paying £2.50 for a coffee, you can assume you have the right to hang out for a while, which usually means wifi will be offerd. OTOH, if you're getting lunch for £5, it's often fair to assume that the establishment's business model is based on you sitting down, eating up and ****ing off, and that they wouldn't be able to maintain those sort of prices if everyone stayed for half an hour after their meal to surf the internet. Likewise with pubs/bars, some want/need to encourage people to come and hang out with their laptops, but others are plenty busy enough anyway or don't feel that people working would add much to the vibe they're trying to create.

My experience of the US was that wifi was a little more widespread in cafes etc than in the UK, but not a universal as the OP suggests. There was also no wifi in trains as there is in the UK.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,529,493 times
Yes, in most cases, at least in my city.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,458,506 times
Yes, many of them do.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:40 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,312,469 times
I don't know if things have changed in Germany but until two years ago, it was extremely hard to find any place that offered Free Wi Fi. I remember walking around Mainz for over an hour and could not find one damn place that offered Free Wi Fi.

Often when you found a place that had Wi Fi, there were no outlets available to customers, so if you needed to charge your laptop or cell phone, you were screwed. Things I will never understand.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:17 AM

20 posts, read 38,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I don't know if things have changed in Germany but until two years ago, it was extremely hard to find any place that offered Free Wi Fi. I remember walking around Mainz for over an hour and could not find one damn place that offered Free Wi Fi.

Often when you found a place that had Wi Fi, there were no outlets available to customers, so if you needed to charge your laptop or cell phone, you were screwed. Things I will never understand.
Its still mostly the case. The problem in germany is that the provider of the wifi is liable for all violations done in their network. So until this is changed their wont be any free wifi in the forseeable future because the providers are too scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World