U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 07:42 AM

24,682 posts, read 49,068,273 times

Advertisements

What facts about the spread about religions around the world might surprise the layperson?

For instance, someone might expect Bangladesh to be mostly Hindu, but it's overwhelmingly Muslim. Similarly, Sri Lanka is mostly Buddhist and the Indonesian island of Bali is Hindu.

Germany is associated with Protestantism but has as many Catholics.

For some reason I didn't realize much of Eastern Europe was Catholic until lately, even Poland, even with Pope John Paul.

Kerala, in India, is 18% Christian, yet much of northern India, despite colonialism, is less than 1% Christian. Christianity is growing most rapidly in Africa. Most of sub-Saharan African is Christian, moreso than Europe. The estimates of Christians in China range from 13 to 100 million.

Japan is probably the most atheistic country in the world.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,490,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
For some reason I didn't realize much of Eastern Europe was Catholic until lately, even Poland, even with Pope John Paul.
Well, and that is many why the people of those countries want to be refered as "central Europe" and don't want to be lumped with the slavic-Orthodox countries such as Russia, Ukraine, Bielorussia, etc. which use cyrillic alphabet more to the east, even when both are linguisctially slavic.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 AM

28,604 posts, read 27,806,493 times
The three northeastern Indian states of Nagaland, Mizoram and Meghalaya are majority Christian.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM

9,031 posts, read 9,365,819 times
Of the countries with the 10 highest Muslim populations, only 3 are predominantly Arabic-speaking.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM

20,694 posts, read 21,046,858 times
Don't care.

Cannot wait to get away from this country due to religion and when I move, I am going to make sure that I could goto a country where religion is not mentioned.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,365,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Don't care.

Cannot wait to get away from this country due to religion and when I move, I am going to make sure that I could goto a country where religion is not mentioned.
Least religious countries in Europe:

Estonia
Czech Republic
Sweden
Denmark
Norway

Additionally, the city of Hamburg [Germany] has an atheist majority.

But the only place where you can get away from religion entirely is North Korea.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 PM

9,992 posts, read 10,787,174 times
What is your hatred towards religion this is why so many people athiests are some kind of religion heating devil worshipping mad people.

Religion has contributed alot to the world. Though i', not religious i respect OPEN MINDED religious people

Old 12-11-2012, 12:32 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,655,637 times
Christianity is very strong in South Korea. It's popular with some of their national leaders, and many military, and business leaders. Some years ago I read that the Full Gospel Church of Seoul, had the Largest congregation of any single church in the World.

In the USA, for years I've seen churches with Korean signs, in suburban neighborhoods where I would swear no Koreans have ever lived (for instance, not a single Korean kid shown in any of the school yearbooks, nor any Lee's or Park's in the phone directory, and yet somehow there are Korean churches in the neighborhood???)

In the USA, you will not find a more devoutly Catholic group than Filipino's. Filipino Americans take their faith VERY VERY seriously, much more than any other group. They will do anything to send their teenagers to a Catholic high school, even it means commuting 3 hours a day across the city for 4 years.

Russian Orthodox churches still survive in remote parts of Alaska like Kodiak Island, and some of their members are Native Americans.

Israel has seen an influx of immigrants from Ethiopia who claim to be "Jews" - although their faith was sort of hidden away for centuries.

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-11-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,050,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Least religious countries in Europe:

Estonia
Czech Republic
Sweden
Denmark
Norway

Additionally, the city of Hamburg [Germany] has an atheist majority.

But the only place where you can get away from religion entirely is North Korea.
No. In North Korea there is a religion which is mandatory for all inhabitants: the "Kim il-sungism".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 12-11-2012, 01:08 PM

4,758 posts, read 9,125,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
What is your hatred towards religion this is why so many people athiests are some kind of religion heating devil worshipping mad people.

Religion has contributed alot to the world. Though i', not religious i respect OPEN MINDED religious people
Let's be fair though here, owenc is Irish, I think we're all aware of Ireland's particularly troubled history when it comes to religion.

Anyways, geographical fun facts: The state of Nagaland, in India, is the most baptist State in the world, considerably more Baptist than Mississippi, the most Baptist state in America.

The Republic of Kalmykia, in Western Russia, is the only predominantly Buddhist region in Europe.

The nation of Suriname, in South America, is over 1/4 Hindu.

In Canada, although it is thought of as a predominantly British-Protestant state, Roman Catholics outnumber Protestants 3:2

Today, less than half of the worlds Mormons reside in the United States, the country where the religion originated.

Although when people here the word "Voodoo" they usually think of New World locations like Haiti, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Brazil and of the syncretic religions that exist there like Santeria, the origin of these beliefs is an organized religion called Vodun, practiced by tens of millions of people in Togo, Benin, and Southwestern Nigeria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World