U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 PM

24,682 posts, read 52,260,709 times

Advertisements

Not supplant, but maybe just present an 'alternative' model of male beauty in the West?

It seems the younger generation is getting more into Japanese/Korean/Asian culture in general, and some of the K-Pop stars, for instance, are getting pretty popular in Latin America and to a lesser extent North America.

Will this make Asian guys seem more attractive overall than they are now? Rather than say, presenting Asian American males in a more positive light?

I do think for all their faults the younger generation really is less race-conscious. A generation where PC-mantras about equality have been drummed into their heads, but where borders are more transient.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 PM

4,855 posts, read 9,751,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not supplant, but maybe just present an 'alternative' model of male beauty in the West?

It seems the younger generation is getting more into Japanese/Korean/Asian culture in general, and some of the K-Pop stars, for instance, are getting pretty popular in Latin America and to a lesser extent North America.

Will this make Asian guys seem more attractive overall than they are now? Rather than say, presenting Asian American males in a more positive light?

I do think for all their faults the younger generation really is less race-conscious. A generation where PC-mantras about equality have been drummed into their heads, but where borders are more transient.
I think it depends on the geographic locale. People tend not to be very attracted to people from other races if they don't interact with them socially and get used to thinking about them as potential romantic partners. I think what you're saying may help somewhat, but only in areas that also have alot of asians in them.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 PM

13,840 posts, read 20,855,641 times
Not a chance.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,190,663 times
Even myself as an Asian male, I find the male beauty propagated by K and J-pop aversive. What's with the heavy makeups, any-colour-but-black hair, thin eyebrows, smooth, pale-white skin? Sorry, these are territories that should only be reserved for females, not males.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Even myself as an Asian male, I find the male beauty propagated by K and J-pop aversive. What's with the heavy makeups, any-colour-but-black hair, thin eyebrows, smooth, pale-white skin? Sorry, these are territories that should only be reserved for females, not males.
They are feminine. Quite a few of them have dyed hair, but yeah the anime look definitely dominates. Maybe it's too different from the macho ideal of the past.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,070,705 times
I don't think people of European-descent will be able to identify with the look, and people of African-descent sure as hell won't. But who knows...

Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 AM

250 posts, read 479,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
+1.

That is not to say that good looking asian men all fall into the effeminate camp.

This is just an ephemeral cultural fad that much of SE asia is being afflicted with, somewhat like the penchant for boy bands and the Bieber phenomenon that we experience here.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 AM

23,974 posts, read 24,000,891 times
European and Asian styles are actually more similar than they are different. Everything is tight fitting. This is the trend in the US too.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:24 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,190,663 times
If you compared the J-pop's idealized version of male beauty to the Samurai warriors or even the army of the WWII era, it's shocking to see the fast disappearance of masculine, macho culture among Japanese males in favour of femininity in contemporary Japanese society.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 AM

Yeah it's gone overboard, but a broader question I want to ask is why is feminine so bad? I mean anime characters are portrayed as both feminine looking but very masculine in behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World