Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Do the locals say it "or-i-gin" with a hard g and "will-AH-mit" Valley?
Just like "Organ", but with a hint of a vowel in between the R and G. And, wi-LAMM-it, as in "lamb".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I don't know...we're too "water-logged" down here.

Is Pennsylvania prounounced "Pin-sil-vanya?"
Depends if you're a hick from the middle it's Pin-sil-vanya. If you're a normal person like moi, it's pen-sil-vay-nia. If yous from.......Philly....it's pen-sil-vay-nyeh (they also say silly things like crick wooder instead of creek water, at least they're not like the Pittsburghers with their pop and shopping buggies ). You know I just checked your weather forecast and yinz (that's another Pittsburghese word) are getting a hell lot more sunshine than we are

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just like "Organ", but with a hint of a vowel in between the R and G. And, wi-LAMM-it, as in "lamb".
Yeah that's how I learned to pronounce it. Always said it like that but I've heard a lot of people say or-eh-gaaahn as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Depends if you're a hick from the middle it's Pin-sil-vanya. If you're a normal person like moi, it's pen-sil-vay-nia. If yous from.......Philly....it's pen-sil-vay-nyeh (they also say silly things like crick wooder instead of creek water, at least they're not like the Pittsburghers with their pop and shopping buggies ). You know I just checked your weather forecast and yinz (that's another Pittsburghese word) are getting a hell lot more sunshine than we are
Berlitz could basically put out their own phrase book just for Pittsburgh...

I'd be curious what the Pittsburghers call Florence.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Their baseball team is the Paah-erts.

There was once a good phrase book of Oklahoma. One I remember is "Bob wore faints", which keeps the cows off the road. And "Chick at all", which is what the gas station attendant asks you.

Spoiler
For those who are stumped, it's "Pirates", "Barbed wire fence" and "Check that oil?"

Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:

I'd be curious what the Pittsburghers call Florence.
Oh definitely I was friends with a guy from Plum, which is northeast of Pittsburgh, he had the strangest accent, stronger than what you'd hear from the average Pittsburgher. I'd make fun of him all the time for it, he made fun of mine as well it was all in good fun.

Probably Flornce Who knows what they are capable of

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:

That's what I thought, too. I'm guessing the same goes for Peterborough (Peter-bre)? Apparently, it was supposed to be originally called Pitts-bruh because the burgh is the same like in Edinburgh especially since the city was named after a Brit, William Pitt, but the "burg" just stuck.

But, the names that I say like Derby and Birmingham, I always get ribbed for it because I pronounce them in a very "American way" (Dur-bee and Bur-ming-ham instead of Bur-mingam).
Yes. I usually pronounce it as Peter-bere, but exactly the same applies in all places with borough, and even burgh (Ed-in-bu-re or Edin-bruh are both acceptable).

And yeah, Derby is Darby and the H is Birmingham is almost never pronounced.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM

520 posts, read 596,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
And yeah, Derby is Darby and the H is Birmingham is almost never pronounced.
Unless, of course, you're in Alabama and love the Guv'nor...

On a parallel note, I once met a Brit who pronounced Berkeley "Barkley".

Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
There is actually a town in Gloucestershire called Berkeley that is pronounced Bark-lee, and Berkeley Square in London is pronounced the same way, so that's probably why.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 AM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
As for Barcelona, the majority of Spaniards pronounce it Barthelona, but Catalans themselves pronounce it Barselona, like we do in Latin America, and in the rest of the world.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Americans sometimes say Edinburg.... or Edinboro..but no harm done..no one outside of Glasgow can pronounce Milngavie...now that is a strange one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World