Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,521,390 times

Advertisements

I used to not really care but lately ive been wondering about the outsiders perspective about this country. i know it was most likely mostly negative when Bush was president, ever since we elected Obama the anti-americanism seemed to slowly fade away.

what first comes to your mind when you think of U.S.A?

if you see an American tourist, what would be the first question you would ask him about his country?

what do you think the average American life is like?

is it mostly positive views or negative views?

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 12-29-2012 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,854,913 times
Here we go, outsiders opinions on America = Americans getting defencive. I predict this thead will turn into a slagging match by page 4 lol.

Anyhoo I'll give it a bash!

what first comes to your mind when you think of U.S.A? - Guns, New York, Rap and Hollywood.

if you see an American tourist, what would be the first question you would ask him about his country?- Where you from, whats it like, what do you do. The usual for any tourist.

what do you think the average American life is like? - "fairly" privileged, big middle-class etc.

is it mostly positive views or negative views?- Guns, government negative. Scenery, cities, most people positive.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM

^

Do you guys by any chance get any of our "crazy" tv shows in your country? i know you get Jersey Shore but how about Honey Boo Boo?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,854,913 times
Good and Bad.

Jersey Shore, Kardashians etc but also get Homeland, Boardwalk Empire etc.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM

122 posts, read 178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
what first comes to your mind when you think of U.S.A?
The country of incomprehensible people. Russians are famous for being incomprehensible, but Americans can really compete on equal terms.

Real wages are declining for like 50 years. But the rich are getting richer. Nobody gives a damn.

The government is killing millions of foreigners and thousands (plus wounded) Americans, spending trillions. Nobody gives a damn.

The government has created thousands A-bombs, forcing Russia to do the same, and point them at the US. It also almost started a nuclear war - twice. Nobody gives a damn.

The government has recently effectively declared a Cold War again (the good thing is that it may be limited to some political barking), against a totally peaceful country. Toying with an idea of making a big fleet of nuclear subs (only they may provide a serious threat to Russia). Nobody gives a damn.

300 million pretty aggressive people are being had by a bunch of bastards, and do nothing. That's incomprehensible.

Quote:
what do you think the average American life is like?
Slavery. Well fed, and with a fair amount of gadgets, but slavery nevertheless.

Quote:
is it mostly positive views or negative views?
People: mixed.
The state: totally negative.

Quote:
Do you guys by any chance get any of our "crazy" tv shows in your country?
Not in Russia. Some shows are being localized (Russian versions are made), but not the crazy ones.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Lol there sure seems to be alot of USA - Russia tensions lately,

Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,612,020 times
Quote:
lotsa russians coming to thailand lately. i want to punch tehm sometimes.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,879,855 times
Quote:
Which is a shame IMHO. I've always admired Russia's culture; the finer points of its art, music, and literature are phenomeal, and IMHO if it wasn't for the cold war having discouraged the exposure of this culture in the US, there would be a vastly different opinion of Russia.

I'd much rather see the US and Russia as friends than adversaries.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,879,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Jersey Shore, Kardashians etc
Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM

122 posts, read 178,741 times
Quote:
For the last 95 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World