Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think should have control over FI?
God Save The Queen - England 66 83.54%
Don't Cry For Me - Argentina 13 16.46%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yes i agree. Corruption from all the goverments and a terrible sense of education in some matters from the people make our country get stucked when it should have much more going to it. Thanks for the nice words

And its true about patriotism. The notion that,, in case of a war, there would be young guys that actually want to go to the army to "defend" the country is laughable. And how soldiers and war veterans are seeing as heros in USA for example? Here they dont exist, they are ignored. We really dont have a sense of nationality at all. Most argentinians critcize their country all the time. Except with futbol, when people put ALL of their patriotics thoughts and we are a passionate bunch about it.

i heard a good few argentines bemoan thier country while there , when i said i quite liked it , they told me i was loco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
I put some in the other similar Thread "Kirchner at it again". Here i repost it :

On November 6, 1820, Daniel Jewett, from Port Loneliness formalized the possession of the Malvinas in name of the government of the River Plate. The official acting in name of the government of Buenos Aires it occupied the islands invoking the beginning of uti possidetis. This beginning, the Latin-American conditions understood as it at the beginning of last century, it was defining the territorial sovereignty on the basis of the former administrative colonial limits. The European and North American jurists do not accept, in general, this beginning. For them the criterion of sovereignty is given by the effective occupation of the territory.
It is important to indicate that the news of the capture of possession by the Argentina was published both in Spain and in the United States in August, 1821. This fact did not generate the protest of Great Britain. In 1825 this country signed an Agreement of Friendship, Trade and Navigation with the Close Provinces and simultaneously it recognized his independence, and neither in both acts was done any reference to the occupation of the islands on the part of the South American condition.
In 1823, to reinforce the sovereignty, Pablo Areguati was nominated as governor. At the same time, the same government granted to Jorge Pacheco and to his partner Luis Vernet (naturalized Argentine Frenchman) the right to exploit cattle and fishing in the Loneliness Isla (Isla Soledad). The Pacheco's first attempt for be establishing in the islands failed. The second attempt, realized personally by Vernet, was successful in 1826. So that up to this date there had not existed an establishment of the Joined Provinces in the islands.
Little later, at the beginning of 1828, immediately after a report sent to Buenos Aires by Vernet, the government of Buenos Aires granted the exclusive right of fishing to him in the adjacent waters and extended the concession of Pacheco The colony was declared free of taxes except for the maintenance of the local authorities.
On June 10, 1829, Vernet was named by the post of The First Political and Military Commander of the islands.
Expeditions were organized; several dozens of colonists, some with his families, came directly from Europe or were embarked in Montevideo, provided with cattle and useful of tillage and fishing. The pampas of Buenos Aires provided gauchos for the ranching and up to Patagonian aborigens. Passed less than two years. The colony was counting a houndred of persons', more or less stable hundred, included the whale-boats and sealers of any origin, the European employees and some slaves of Vernet.

A testimony of an official of the English Navy, Fitzroy, of visit in Malvinas during these years (prior to 1833)

“The governor, Louis Vernet, received me with cordiality. He possesses much information and speaks several languages. His house is long and low, of one story, with very thick walls of stone. I found in it a good library, of Spanish, German and English works. A lively conversation passes at dinner, the party consisting of Mr. Vernet and his wife; Mr. Brisbane, and others; in the evening we had music and dancing. In the room was a grand piano-forte; Mrs. Vernet, a Buenos Ayrean lady, gave us some excellent singing, which sounded not a little strange at the Falkland Isles where we expected to find only a few sealers”
So you are in favor of returning Argentina to its 1833 borders?

Yep, England took the islands, because that was how territorial disputes were settled back then. It took a Galtieri to re-introduce that idea in 1982. Like I said, Argentina is free to practice what she preaches and give up any territory she's gained by force since 1833.

Until then, their claim to be anti-imperialist is so much hot air. The islanders - who've been there for 150 years or so - get to decide. And they're in no big hurry to exchange their passports - who would?

(If Argentinians are so eager to visit, they could send over a mine-clearing crew or two to pick up their Army's left-behind property.)

Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yes i agree. Corruption from all the goverments and a terrible sense of education in some matters from the people make our country get stucked when it should have much more going to it. Thanks for the nice words

And its true about patriotism. The notion that,, in case of a war, there would be young guys that actually want to go to the army to "defend" the country is laughable. And how soldiers and war veterans are seeing as heros in USA for example? Here they dont exist, they are ignored. We really dont have a sense of nationality at all. Most argentinians critcize their country all the time. Except with futbol, when people put ALL of their patriotics thoughts and we are a passionate bunch about it.
Sounds just like us!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So you are in favor of returning Argentina to its 1833 borders?

Yep, England took the islands, because that was how territorial disputes were settled back then. It took a Galtieri to re-introduce that idea in 1982. Like I said, Argentina is free to practice what she preaches and give up any territory she's gained by force since 1833.

Until then, their claim to be anti-imperialist is so much hot air. The islanders - who've been there for 150 years or so - get to decide. And they're in no big hurry to exchange their passports - who would?

(If Argentinians are so eager to visit, they could send over a mine-clearing crew or two to pick up their Army's left-behind property.)
No. in fact, I think exactly like you about the topic. The islands were historically Argentine and usurpated by the british empire, but now, it are 100% british culturally, with which it doesn't make sense already for Argentina to claim sovereignty on them actually.
What I really tried to discuss in this post is that I believe that the British average citizen has a wrong version of the history on the Islands. Already you know the famous phrase, no? "the victors write the history ". I do not blame them, the usurpation formed a part of a historical British moment in which, as well you explain, the territorial disputes were dissolved with the force. (In fact, the British empire of the 19th century tried up to invading Argentina in 1806). Nothing more than it.

Last edited by marlaver; 01-07-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
No. in fact, I think exactly like you about the topic. The islands were historically Argentine and usurpated by the british empire, but now, it are 100% british culturally, with which it doesn't make sense already for Argentina to claim sovereignty on them actually.
What I really tried to discuss in this post is that I believe that the British average citizen has a wrong version of the history on the Islands. Already you know the famous phrase, no? "the victors write the history ". I do not blame them, the usurpation formed a part of a historical British moment in which, as well you explain, the territorial disputes were dissolved with the force. (In fact, the British empire of the 19th century tried up to invading Argentina in 1806). Nothing more than it.
Actually, we tried invading you in 1806 and 1807. Unfortunately, neither was a great success.

But don't imagine that you are anything special. Out of 193 countries that are United Nations members, Britain has invaded, or fought conflicts in the territory of, 171

So, Kirchner might want to measure her words. Because, who knows, the Brits could be back

Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Actually, we tried invading you in 1806 and 1807. Unfortunately, neither was a great success.

But don't imagine that you are anything special. Out of 193 countries that are United Nations members, Britain has invaded, or fought conflicts in the territory of, 171

So, Kirchner might want to measure her words. Because, who knows, the Brits could be back
We'll take their footballers, their steak & chimichurri and their beautiful women

Old 01-26-2013, 01:34 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
So how's that sabre-rattling these days? Any better?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Extend the borders straight out to sea and the Falklands belong to Chile

Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Your poll is short an "let the islanders decide" option.

As they very much wish to remain British, that really should settle it.
agreed. plus when you consider how ignorant and backwards the argentine presidential administration is, it's a no-brainer. they are just sabre-rattling to take the heat off their dysfunctional domestic policies.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Whoopsi! Another solid referendum result of 99.8% voting to remain under British sponsorship!

NOW, will the Arggies shut the hell up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World