Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM

153 posts, read 433,460 times

Advertisements

Of course Slumdog Millionaire won a lot of Oscars and in 2012 Gangam Style was extremely popular.

It seems to me that although African American and Latin cultures have managed to get a strong presence in the west, Asian culture has often been underrated and such. Of course a while back it was Martial Arts, Ninjas, and Samurais. Anime was going strong too.

Yet it seems to me that Asian pop culture hasn't found its niche and reached out to Westerners as strongly yet.

Do you think that eventually Asian pop culture will get such a strong following in USA, Western Europe, and Canada to the point that Asian artists are highly loved and respected by the younger generation in those countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,247 times
Slumdog Millionaire is a Western film.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM

153 posts, read 433,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Slumdog Millionaire is a Western film.
ya but it mainly concentrates on life in an asian country

Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,038 times
You mean you don't listen to KPOP or watch Korean movies on netflix? Where have you been.....

Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
Of course Slumdog Millionaire won a lot of Oscars and in 2012 Gangam Style was extremely popular.

It seems to me that although African American and Latin cultures have managed to get a strong presence in the west, Asian culture has often been underrated and such. Of course a while back it was Martial Arts, Ninjas, and Samurais. Anime was going strong too.

Yet it seems to me that Asian pop culture hasn't found its niche and reached out to Westerners as strongly yet.

Do you think that eventually Asian pop culture will get such a strong following in USA, Western Europe, and Canada to the point that Asian artists are highly loved and respected by the younger generation in those countries?
As someone stated earlier, Slumdog Millionaire is very much a Western film. It's about as much of an Indian film as Life of Pi. If the benchmark for having a stronghold is just having fads like ninjas, then Asian pop culture totally has a stronghold ever since anime, pokemon, nintendo, sega, sony, sushi, etc. all made its way stateside. It's also odd to compare it to African American and Latin cultures since African American culture is very much a domestic culture of the west rather than an import and much of what's seen in the west by non Spanish speakers of Latin culture are just snippets or somewhat changed versions rather than contemporary media. Along those lines then, the more analogous question to be asking if there is going to be a strong Asian-American undercurrent (as certainly very little media from Latin America proper or Africa have penetrated US, Canada and Western Europe markets outside of immigrant communities). Furthermore, Asia is by far the largest and most populous continent with massive entrenched differences among the cultures there so putting in an ostensibly Indian movie next to a Korean pop song is a mix and matching of massively different cultures. A division of maybe the middle east, central/turkic asia, south asia, southeast asia, and east asia might make more sense.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
You mean you don't listen to KPOP or watch Korean movies on netflix? Where have you been.....
I've watched quite a bit of Korean stuff on netflix due to friends, but is it common around where you live? Are you being serious? Does fayetteville have a large Korean community? Are you Korean-American? I'm actually really curious about this. I've only recently been made aware of the slew of Korean dramas and movies available on netflix (previously, I basically looked for a few arthouse or thriller movies here and there, but basically ignored everything else) and I found it really surprising. I also met a friend from a Mexican-American community in the Midwest who swears by korean dramas and her and friends do the same and I found that amazing since there was basically not a single Asian, let alone Korean, person in sight where she lived.

Did the internets just blow my mind?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:54 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,247 times
I've enjoyed watching many Chinese, Korean, and Japanese flicks. However, their pop music is awful. You have to dig to find good music these days, and it's hard enough finding good domestic stuff.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post

I think you are spot on. Around 1990 I predicted that Asian women especially would begin acheiving great success in America as actors, singers, models, newscasters etc., because they are so often beautiful, fit and smart. But this has not really happened, heck Lucy Liu still seems to get most of the roles for Asian female actors.

On a related note, I continue to think the media under-reports on Asia. Indonesia and Singapore are rising, significant countries that get little coverage beyond the business section.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Uh...

After spending time with my younger family members when they come to visit and being bombarded with requests to watch their favorite animes on my big TV, download their favorite episodes on my laptop, and blabber my ear off about their favorite series, all of which I find annoying as all hell... so yeah, there's definitely somewhat of a foothold here in the US already. These kids aren't dorks, either... this is just what they watch and read. It's pretty common with anyone in their early 20's or younger.

This opens the door to stuff like Gangnam style, Asian food, and live-action Asian movies (as someone else mentioned, Korean and Japanese horror/vengeance films are reasonably popular with people who aren't freaked out by subtitles), and Asian music taking hold in pop culture.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
I think that Asian culture is already much more relevant in Canada than Black and Latino culture are. Those are mostly influential in the USA, with African American culture being a culture native to the USA and Latinos being a big minority in that country due to the border. Neither culture is particularly influential in Canada, Australia or Western Europe except in the context of the American entertainment industry as none of these places have large communities of these peoples, at least none to rival the local asian populations. Middle Eastern sweet shops, restaurants, shisha bars and music can be found throughout Western Europe as one would never find in America. Asian cultures have embedded themselves deeply into the local culture in large Canadian and Australian cities and in London the cultures of Asia are part of the fabric of everyday life. I think the questions is, how will Asian culture fair in the USA? That is less certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World