Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Shopping Citites(clothes)
London 15 25.86%
Amerstandam 1 1.72%
Paris 9 15.52%
Berlin 1 1.72%
Dubai 2 3.45%
Seoule 0 0%
Tokyo 5 8.62%
Melbourne 0 0%
Sydney 1 1.72%
Istanbul 1 1.72%
Mexico City 0 0%
Los Angeles 2 3.45%
Chicago 2 3.45%
Miami 1 1.72%
New York City 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,894 times

Advertisements

I have voted on Dubai because it's big citie with big money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A lot of the cities up there are good (not all, like Melbourne IMO), but you are missing cities like Shanghai, Moscow, and Milan.
The real potential of Russia’s luxury market and the challenges of doing business in Russia for luxury brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would add Hong Kong, Milan, Shanghai to your list of great cities for shopping.
The world's 10 best shopping cities | CNN Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Dubai, I love shopping malls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Where is Amerstandam?
#8...

The World's 10 BEST SHOPPING STREETS

Oddly enough I am not a big fan of upscale shopping (nationally or internationally), however, it doesn't mean I can't help but marvel from afar the glamour and luxury of it all. Far too ostentatious for my needs or lifestyle but there are those who enjoy all that it entails and I say bravo to them, to each their own.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 07-10-2020, 08:22 PM

72 posts, read 35,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
agreed. just shows the western bias here. Shopping malls in the big Asian cities are very interesting. Much more lively than the generic malls that are basically all the same across the US.
"America bad"

Old 07-10-2020, 08:23 PM

72 posts, read 35,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Paris, London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Taipei, Bangkok, Amsterdam, Shanghai, and Istanbul seem to be more of a shopping capitals scene compared to New York City for being more user friendly, and easier to find the best concentrated shopping areas.

Shopping is about a lot more than just buying clothes. Shopping can also be buying Books at Bookstores, Furniture/Home Products/Home Accessories that Covers a Wide Range of Items, Food Shopping at Supermarkets/Restaurants, Technological Products: Computers/Cameras/Phones/Ipod, Nutritional/Hygiene Products, Local Souvenirs, etc.

Someone can hate shopping for clothes related items but love shopping for everything else and technically be a shopping enthusiast for the parts they are interested in.
No, none of those cities beat New York for shopping. New York is a fashion capital and has one of the top retail streets in the world.

Again, more absurdly melodramatic negativity and contrarian anti-americanism.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:26 AM

153 posts, read 110,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetlaptop View Post
No, none of those cities beat New York for shopping. New York is a fashion capital and has one of the top retail streets in the world.

Again, more absurdly melodramatic negativity and contrarian anti-americanism.
Listen man, I was on board with you about too much anti-Americanism sometimes online. But you are literally going on any possible thread on this website and just claiming "Anti-Americanism! Anti-Americanism! Europe/Canada/etc. is bad!"

You aren't pulling any favours this way and this is not the way to accomplish your goal, and frankly, you are doing exactly what they are doing, but in the opposite direction. Really? London, Paris, and Tokyo could not compete with NYC with shopping? It isn't that ridiculous of a question, these are all world class cities. They are not saying Nashville vs. London, that would be ridiculous.

At least explain a bit of your reasoning behind your opinions without just seeking out any bit of possibly slightly anti-American thing and claiming harassment. Let's discuss things. I enjoy visiting the US and it is not a bad place to live, but if you claim it is perfect and without any faults whatsoever, you are just as bad as anti-Americans. It is subject to criticism just like anywhere else.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:23 AM

330 posts, read 294,115 times
New York City, London, Tokyo, Paris and I would probably also include Milan and Hong Kong even though they are not on this list.

This is not only about high end shopping, but also about being fashion capitals. I mean every major city on this list or in the world has major and popular brand stores, but not all of them are fashion capitals. For me, being a traditional fashion capital culturally is more meaningful than just having the stores.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 07-11-2020 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-11-2020, 02:08 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
I had a friend who went to Istanbul.

They went with a group of couples, one of which were from Singapore.

Now the two from Singapore went with everyone else to the main Bazaar and given a few hours to go shopping.

Its world famous and tourist love it, but they don't understand how expensive the shopping space was and how desperate the sellers were.

So I rug merchant takes them to the back and pulls out a dagger and threatened to kill them if they don't buy their goods.

Now Iranians have long said that Turkish people are prone to emotional outbreak and can get swept up in the moment, but there threats don't carry weight.

In a situation like that you should stand your ground, but how are innocent shoppers from the developed world to understand how this sort of bargaining is supposed to work. I've shopped in Tibet, Iran, Bolivia, and elsewhere and let me tell you its a world of difference from shopping in some upscale commercial zone in London or New York.

Shopping in places with set prices and total corporate dominion is just a completely different experience.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:04 PM

676 posts, read 648,242 times
It's London or New York. Poll reflects that.

Where is Hong Kong though? If you are talking about concentrated upscale shopping it easily belongs on this list and would likely be a top contender right behind those two. The city is chock full of luxury department stores.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:20 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,076 times
The correct answer is probably wherever your phone is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World