Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
6) Have you ever been robbed?
7) Have people you know been robbed?
8) How safe would you say your city is?
Helsinki and Turku, Finland

1) Yes, mostly. I'll try to ignore drunken gangs who can be violent or at least annoying. If biking, everyone will leave you alone. Gun related crime is almost unheard of. The suburbs are kindergartens compared to many cities in Central Europe.

2) Yes. I don't own a car, nor am I planning on buying one.

3) No. Rapings are rare, in fact I think it's safer for a woman to walk alone at night, as most of the violence is targeted on young males. I'll still avoid parks in larger cities.

4) Not always. Buses in Turku run to about 2 or 3am on weekends, 24pm on weekdays. In Helsinki most buses run to 1:30am on weekdays and weekends between 5.30am and 4.30am. Violence in public transport is extremely rare. 4am night buses in Helsinki on weekends are usually filled with drunken happy, singing people.

5) Most shops close at 9pm, restaurants are open to 2 or 4am. 24/7 places are extremely rare. During weekdays, the streets are almost empty at midnight, except during summer.

6) Mugged once. I was attacked from behind on a side street and they took my wallet and phone. Was a bit shocked at first, but eventually slept like a baby that night. My car was broken into a couple of times when I had one.

7) Muggings are very rare, so are burglaries, but many I know has lost a bike, or some belongings in nightclubs. Pickpocketing happens only in a few crowded areas in downtown Helsinki during summer.

8) Very safe on any standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,961 times
Love reading everyones answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
1)
I'd say rather safe overall. Though I wouldn't recommend some neighborhoods, such as this one.
That nb you listed it outside Paris city and its a suburb, right? Is there any "dangerous" nb in Paris city?
When i was there i was in rue de strasbourg 17 (a hotel there), do u know where that is? Its half block from the metro stop strasbourg-st denis. Anyways, the nb was of course beautiful (as all Paris is), but it had a weird vibe, if you came back late at night (i never returned after 12:30 am anyway) some guys will tell you things in weird languages and there were some prostitutes. A taxi-driver that picked us up there told us it was considered a "dangerous" nb, what do u think? was it?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,623,315 times
Quote:
Just wondering about this, and hoping to get answers from people from all over the world, it would be great if they were from big cities (say capitals or big cities anywhere in the world) but small cities or towns would be ok too. Truth is most of the crime seems to happen in the big cities.

Anyways, i would like to know your sense of security in general.

I live in a city pegged as "dangerous" mostly by the local media. The news are full of crimes that always happen in the city (since its the capital of the country, biggest city by far-13 millon-and everything revolves around what happens in Buenos Aires in the news), and we supposedly live in a constant state of awarness in my country in general. Though not so much compared to the rest of LatinAmerica.

Anyways, i have some questions (you can add whatever question you want) and it would be great if you can answer. Im curious about all this.

Now, before i make the questions and answer them, despite living in a supposedly "dangerous" city, i dont feel insecure here at all. And im not brave, lol, not at all. I lived in much smaller cities before, more "quiet" supposedly, and i felt much more insecure there. While here, with all the people outside all the time, being a young woman that lives alone, i feel like im totally free to do whatever i want and dont have to worry about crime. Yeah, it could happen to me, but i dont live in constant state of fear. Quite the contrary. Keep in mind i dont own any vehicle and i use transportation at any hour any day of the week (for example every tuesday 11:30 pm returning from a far neighbourhood in a bus, in the middle of winter-streets more deserted- and every wednesday returning home next to 12pm due to a workshop, WALKING. Never had a problem, but, mostly, never felt insecure).

Anyways, this are the questions:

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?

1) Depends on the neighbourhood. Im lucky enough to live in an AWESOME neighbourhood, and i dont mean rich or upper middle class (hell no, those are bad cause pickpocketers go there), i mean a very low profile middle class highly populated neighbourhood full of little bars and restaurants and nice young people outside. Amazing atmosphere. So, in my neighbourhood its not dangerous to walk at any time of the day or the week. I have a close friend that lives 3 blokcs aways and i ve returned home on tuesdays at 3 am with no problem or iffy sensation at all.
But some neighbourhoods in my city can be VERY dangerous. If you know wich ones to go and wich not, you will be mostly fine.

2) Absolutely. And its better (finding a place to park everyday must be hell).

3) See 1) im a woman so it depends, in my nb: no.

4) Yes. I never use taxis unless i have heavy bags. Buses all night ftw.

5) Yes. Even in weekdays.

6) Yes. My experience of being robbed "face to face" was very small, though, and not in BA, but in La Plata, in where 2 little robbers ask me for my money and cellphone in broad daylight, and i just gave them the money (not cellphone) and left with no problem. In BA, though, i have been pickpocketed (not face to face( in the subway, they took my cellphone . You have to take care of your handbag in the subway, specially late at night.

7) Yes, and i know others that dont.

8) Compared to what i see on tv, its uter safe. Now, compared to the world, i guess, its just average. There are nb that are pretty bad, and pickpocketing in subway is pretty common and if you arent as lucky as me you might not wander around at 3 am alone being a girl, lol. But its not that bad, actually. I feel much safer in this huge city than in the small, quieter cities i lived. MUCH.

ok, what are your expeirences?
I live in Russia, Kamchatka. (Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky) We have a four of which have the status of the city. (One Bole in size than others) but they are all very safety and night and day.
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?-Yes, at any time.
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?-Yes, this is not a problem.
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?-Safety by 98 percent.
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?-To 11 pm, is possible at any municipal transport.
After 11 pm - a taxi or private buses.
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?-Are you talking about? Movie , stores, restaurants, night clubs and so on? There is also a night and those that are closed late at night. There are those who are available 24 hours a day.
6) Have you ever been robbed?-No, never.
7) Have people you know been robbed?-Yes, the one I know, but this is extremely rare (the man was drunk.) Mugging (99 percent of what you have never robbed.) not happen. Theft happens. (Pickpockets)
8) How safe would you say your city is?-
my city one of the safest guess, but there are rare exceptions.
Virtually anywhere in safety. No matter rich or not. With parking a car - no problem. It's free. But every year the cars in the city, more and more people are buying for 2 -3 car.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 PM

225 posts, read 345,010 times
I live in a town of 5,000 families in Southern Maine. The town is small, but Mainers are a strange breed. I don't like Maine (I've been here 2 years); while most of the people here are very nice, they aren't the smartest knives in the drawer.

We have seen news stories lately: one guy sued a hooker for shorting him 10 minutes of time, a girl called police to report her ex had broken in and stolen all her drugs and "expensive" paraphrenalia from her apt.
The only thing scarier is that some (or most) of these people can't read (I'm being facetious)

Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,538,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
I live in Russia, Kamchatka. (Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky) We have a four of which have the status of the city. (One Bole in size than others) but they are all very safety and night and day.
1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?-Yes, at any time.
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?-Yes, this is not a problem.
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?-Safety by 98 percent.
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?-To 11 pm, is possible at any municipal transport.
After 11 pm - a taxi or private buses.
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?-Are you talking about? Movie , stores, restaurants, night clubs and so on? There is also a night and those that are closed late at night. There are those who are available 24 hours a day.
6) Have you ever been robbed?-No, never.
7) Have people you know been robbed?-Yes, the one I know, but this is extremely rare (the man was drunk.) Mugging (99 percent of what you have never robbed.) not happen. Theft happens. (Pickpockets)
8) How safe would you say your city is?-
my city one of the safest guess, but there are rare exceptions.
Virtually anywhere in safety. No matter rich or not. With parking a car - no problem. It's free. But every year the cars in the city, more and more people are buying for 2 -3 car.

wow, that sounds like the safest place on earth, no idea it could be that safe there. How many people live in your city?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,623,315 times
Quote:
wow, that sounds like the safest place on earth, no idea it could be that safe there. How many people live in your city?
300000 -250000 people, but the number of people changing in the minus side and in the plus in the last year. It's true, a fairly safe city.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 AM

633 posts, read 1,736,500 times
Wiesbaden, Germany ( close to Frankfurt am Main)

Definately YES

Definately YES ( but depends on the district

Definately NO

NO, busses dont work regulary at night

We dont have 24/7 restaurants or supermarkets (only Mc Donalds)

NO

Not here, no

Very safe. Maybe because we have the police headquater (German federal office of criminal investigation) in our city.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 AM

520 posts, read 1,516,130 times
Berlin, Germany

In my borough which is predominantly "upper-middle class" and one of the more "prosperous" areas, Definitely YES
However, other districts (especially those with high immigrant or lower-class populations) can be quite harsh at night for German standards (still relatively safe for American ones). Recently, there have been some safety issues going on in the media.

As a young, single person living in a "trendy" and "hip" inner-city area you won't need a car because of an extense public transport system. In contrast to that, a family in the more outer districts or suburbs would probably need one. In most German cities that's the case.

Really depends on the area (see Number 1).

YES, except some "minor" bus lines. Underground/Subway and "S-Bahn" (commuter trains/railway) offer service 24/7.

There are some 24/7 supermarkets and fast-food chains, however, most regular stores close down at 8 or 9 p.m. In nightlife areas there is a significant number of 24/7 stores due to all the "night owls" buying stuff.
NO

Yeah.

Basically it is quite safe for a city of that size (3.5 million), however, there is a high rate of violence in underground trains and stations especially at night which makes Berlin a bit more "dangerous" than other German cities. Nevertheless, its quite safe compared to many American or e.g. British cities.
[/quote]

Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,139,154 times

Yes.

I don't see how this pertains to safety, but life would be awfully difficult not.

Depends on the part of the city.

No.

I live in a rural part of my town, so there's really nothing to be open late, but aside from major chain stores, things tend to close early.

No.

Not here.

Safe to very safe.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
I live in Gatineau, Québec, Canada. Population: about 270,000. We are right across (500 m) from Canada's capital city of Ottawa, Ontario (population 900,000).

Yes. I am a man - quite tall and reasonably well built. Some areas I am more careful in but I would not avoid walking anywhere or be afraid of walking in them if I had to. I would be more concerned about drunken bar patrons in a gang doing something stupid than actual criminals looking to rob me or harm me.

Depends on where in the city, but in most parts of it with some organization you could swing it. Big variables are where you work and if you have young children. Living without a car is more about frequency of buses than it is a question of safety here.

Probably not but I think women should be cautious walking alone at night pretty much anywhere - regardless of the city. In my own city I would not say a woman would be necessarily be more likely to be attacked in a poor area as opposed to a rich one. Psychopathic behaviour is not usually an economically-linked crime. I would stay away from dark parks and areas where there is nowhere around and stick to streets where there are other people walking or at least where there is a lot of car traffic. But I would give this advice in Beverly Hills as well.

Depends how late. I think the last buses to my neighbourhood run until midnight. Major routes run until about 2 am and after then it would be a bit of a walk.

Grocery stores are pretty much open until 9 or 10 pm every night. Clothing stores and smaller mom and pop stores are generally open Thursday and Friday nights only. Everything of a decent size except big grocery stores is closed on Saturday and Sunday nights as of 5 pm. There is no daytime Sunday store closure for anything but a lot of stuff only opens at noon. It is not every single one but gas stations and dépanneurs (small corner stores that "bail you out" as the name suggests) that are open 24 hours are easy to find. Bars close at 3 am. Most restaurants shut down their kitchen at 10 pm, although some are open until midnight and a few are open 24 hours.

No

No

Extremely safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World