Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about this, and hoping to get answers from people from all over the world, it would be great if they were from big cities (say capitals or big cities anywhere in the world) but small cities or towns would be ok too. Truth is most of the crime seems to happen in the big cities.

Anyways, i would like to know your sense of security in general.

I live in a city pegged as "dangerous" mostly by the local media. The news are full of crimes that always happen in the city (since its the capital of the country, biggest city by far-13 millon-and everything revolves around what happens in Buenos Aires in the news), and we supposedly live in a constant state of awarness in my country in general. Though not so much compared to the rest of LatinAmerica.

Anyways, i have some questions (you can add whatever question you want) and it would be great if you can answer. Im curious about all this.

Now, before i make the questions and answer them, despite living in a supposedly "dangerous" city, i dont feel insecure here at all. And im not brave, lol, not at all. I lived in much smaller cities before, more "quiet" supposedly, and i felt much more insecure there. While here, with all the people outside all the time, being a young woman that lives alone, i feel like im totally free to do whatever i want and dont have to worry about crime. Yeah, it could happen to me, but i dont live in constant state of fear. Quite the contrary. Keep in mind i dont own any vehicle and i use transportation at any hour any day of the week (for example every tuesday 11:30 pm returning from a far neighbourhood in a bus, in the middle of winter-streets more deserted- and every wednesday returning home next to 12pm due to a workshop, WALKING. Never had a problem, but, mostly, never felt insecure).

Anyways, this are the questions:

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?
3)Is it dangerous as a woman to walk alone late at night?
4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
6) Have you ever been robbed?
7) Have people you know been robbed?
8) How safe would you say your city is?

1) Depends on the neighbourhood. Im lucky enough to live in an AWESOME neighbourhood, and i dont mean rich or upper middle class (hell no, those are bad cause pickpocketers go there), i mean a very low profile middle class highly populated neighbourhood full of little bars and restaurants and nice young people outside. Amazing atmosphere. So, in my neighbourhood its not dangerous to walk at any time of the day or the week. I have a close friend that lives 3 blokcs aways and i ve returned home on tuesdays at 3 am with no problem or iffy sensation at all.
But some neighbourhoods in my city can be VERY dangerous. If you know wich ones to go and wich not, you will be mostly fine.

2) Absolutely. And its better (finding a place to park everyday must be hell).

3) See 1) im a woman so it depends, in my nb: no.

4) Yes. I never use taxis unless i have heavy bags. Buses all night ftw.

5) Yes. Even in weekdays.

6) Yes. My experience of being robbed "face to face" was very small, though, and not in BA, but in La Plata, in where 2 little robbers ask me for my money and cellphone in broad daylight, and i just gave them the money (not cellphone) and left with no problem. In BA, though, i have been pickpocketed (not face to face( in the subway, they took my cellphone . You have to take care of your handbag in the subway, specially late at night.

7) Yes, and i know others that dont.

8) Compared to what i see on tv, its uter safe. Now, compared to the world, i guess, its just average. There are nb that are pretty bad, and pickpocketing in subway is pretty common and if you arent as lucky as me you might not wander around at 3 am alone being a girl, lol. But its not that bad, actually. I feel much safer in this huge city than in the small, quieter cities i lived. MUCH.

ok, what are your expeirences?

Last edited by SophieLL; 01-09-2013 at 12:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,690 times
Murder rate in San Francisco is 6/100,000 dangerous on the level of other first world cities in Europe, Japan, etc but safe by US standards

Last edited by scrantiX; 01-09-2013 at 01:23 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Murder rate in San Francisco is 6/100,000 dangerous on the level of other first world cities in Europe, Japan, etc but safe by US standards

LOL Philadelphia's murder rate is 22/100,000. The highest of any first world city
Quick google search says BA is 4.6/100,000.
But i guess its much more prone to pickpocketing and robbing, the most common crimes here.

But i was wondering personal experiences not statistics.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Quick google search says BA is 4.6/100,000.
But i guess its much more prone to pickpocketing and robbing, the most common crimes here.

But i was wondering personal experiences not statistics.
IMO pickpocketing and robbing are tolerable crimes, murder and rape are not. I am disgusted with murderous cities. Eww.

Personal experience here in SF, a few bums are violent robbers, the high crime areas are concentrated in the Tenderloin, Potrero district, and SW San Francisco. San Francisco is a safe city but there are lots of homeless folks, do not entertain them and they wont bother you IMO

My neighborhood Nob Hill, which I just moved to this month is very safe. You can walk, drive, eat, sleep, work, walk your dog in peace, you are in good hands.

Last edited by scrantiX; 01-09-2013 at 01:22 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Default Saint Paul

1) Do you feel is safe to walk alone in your city late at night (11:00 pm and on, say 3 am)?
Not my neighborhood, but most of the city is very safe

2) Do you feel you could live in your city now owning a car?
Yes, i currently do

Same as 1

4) Could you always use buses and never taxis or cars when returning home late at night?
Yes just busses

5)Is everything opened until late in your neighbourhood even weekdays or it shuts down early?
Just Walgreens

No

Yes good friend of mine and i really miss him.

Very safe for American standards

Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Not my neighborhood, but most of the city is very safe

2) Do you feel you could live in your city now owning a car?
Yes, i currently do

Same as 1

Yes just busses

Just Walgreens

No

Yes good friend of mine and i really miss him.

Very safe for American standards

I ve lived in minneapolis for a couple of months ten years ago, and it seemed VERY safe. Granted, i only used car, was driven everywhere by my local friends, and its was uber-freezing (was there in the winter), meaning i wouldnt be able to do the public trasnportation experience even if i wanted to. Its interesting to read an experience from the inside.

I think pickpocketing and small crime do not happen there either, right? I mean its really extraordinary to get robbed there? here its not.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
IMO pickpocketing and robbing are tolerable crimes, murder and rape are not. I am disgusted with murderous cities like Philadelphia or Detroit. Eww.

Personal experience here in SF, a few bums are violent robbers, the high crime areas are concentrated in the Tenderloin, Potrero district, and SW San Francisco. San Francisco is a safe city but there are lots of homeless folks, do not entertain them and they wont bother you IMO

My neighborhood Nob Hill, which I just moved to this month is very safe. You can walk, drive, eat, sleep, work, walk your dog in peace, you are in good hands.

That sounds great. San Francisco sounds like an awesome city.

There are a lot of homeless here too, when i lived in other nb some of them were sleeping right outside my building , but werent dangerous at all, just sleeping there.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I live in Chicago, which unfortunately gets a bad rap. Yeah, there have been a lot of homicides here, but what most people who aren't familiar with this city fail to realize is:

1) Most of the very violent crime is actually gang on gang or drug related. If you aren't part of a gang or you don't deal in hard drugs, the chances of you getting the end of violent crime goes drastically down.

2) There are kind of 3 areas in the city for which this happens. Outside of those areas there are of course shady areas, but the crime rate drastically decreases.

3) There are a handful of cities in the US that are worse than Chicago with homicide per 100k, yet everyone seems to think Chicago is #1.

All in all, it depends on who you align with and where you are in the city. Just like in any big city, anything can happen..you never know. But, you have a far, far, far greater chance of a car hopping the curb and hitting you on the sidewalk than you do getting shot or something here. I have even walked at night through some areas that might be considered "ghetto" and nothing happened to me. A car full of gangbangers even drove by me real slow, saw I wasn't in their rival gang probably...and left me alone. Not recommended to always do, but really....the media portrays this city as a warzone. Even the areas that are bad are not "warzones," but outside of those, it's no more dangerous than Los Angeles or NYC..possibly safer.

In my neighborhood and many others, people are out at all hours of the night, walking around, eating, etc. Nothing ever happens to them. I live downtown/right north of downtown and this is pretty much the case for me. I have no problems walking alone at night at any time of the day. I'd say a lot of the city is like that. Pretty safe in many, many areas.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I ve lived in minneapolis for a couple of months ten years ago, and it seemed VERY safe. Granted, i only used car, was driven everywhere by my local friends, and its was uber-freezing (was there in the winter), meaning i wouldnt be able to do the public trasnportation experience even if i wanted to. Its interesting to read an experience from the inside.

I think pickpocketing and small crime do not happen there either, right? I mean its really extraordinary to get robbed there? here its not.
Yes and yea, at most you might get your car broken into if you live in the cities and park on the street.

Minneapolis is very safe and so is St Paul just a couple shady areas here and there. some people believe that the cold weather keeps the criminals off the streets.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
To answer your questions about Chicago:

Quote:
Yes, in most parts that aren't the ghetto. I've walked alone at 3am, 4am, 5am..pretty much all hours of the day in a myriad of neighborhoods. Nothing even remotely bad happened to me.

Quote:
2) Do you feel you could live in your city not owning a car?
I don't own a car and never have here. Don't need one. Many people in the same boat. We have the same most extensive train/bus system in the US after New York City. I walk, take the train/bus, or cab it everywhere.

Quote:
In areas, no, but the "you never know" thing can happen. I know some women who walk alone and don't care while others are very paranoid about it. Most will walk with someone else.

Quote:
There's 8000-10,000 taxis in this city. There are a few train lines which run 24 hours a day, and a few more that don't stop running until 2 or 2:30am (and start back up between 5am and 6am). There are some 24 hour buses too and stuff. Taxis are always out and if you're in an area way out, just call for a taxi to pick you up (or use a smart phone app). I've had times where I've gone to food places 7 miles north of where I live with my friends after a night of drinking until 5:30am...still easily able to call for a cab on the phone even in these areas where there's not a lot of cab traffic at 5:30am.

Quote:
Pretty much open late. Some things close early, but there are a number of eateries open until 2am-4am, some 24 hours. Some of the bars near me don't close until 4am on weekends, even 5am for some bars.

Quote:
Nope

Quote:
Nope

Quote:
It's safe as long as you stick to the "non ghetto areas." Really, unless you work in a bad area like Englewood, there's not many reasons to ever step foot there in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World