Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Beijing 3 5.17%
Los Angeles 27 46.55%
Osaka 12 20.69%
Rhine-Ruhr 11 18.97%
Combined option for "none", "confused at the moment", "I don't really know where to begin", "huh" 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM

41 posts, read 53,803 times

Advertisements

The city categories are different since each city has its own qualities and uniqueness.

Beijing = Washington DC (diplomacy)
Shanghai = NYC (business center)
?? = LA

You forgot Hong Kong which is a city known for its international relations, business and entertainment.

Similar goes to Osaka as it's known more its entertainment while Tokyo is the business center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Whats the weather like?

i always see pictures and videos of various east asian cities and it seems like its a very foggy region.
Hot and humid summers, cold and snappy winters. Less extreme than Beijing but just barely IMO

Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
This particular comparison came down mainly to Los Angeles & Osaka for me. I give Los Angeles an 8/10 overall.

It has quite a lot of what I like, a strong sense of multiculturalism (Little Bangladesh, Koreatown, Chinatown, Japantown, strong Jewish enclaves, Russian enclaves, Armenian enclaves, so on). It has a great food scene and a internal mix amongst it's community there to enjoy the benefits from all of that. It has a rapidly growing transit network and it's got great outdoor opportunities (Channel Islands, mountains, forests, so on).

It has a little bit of everything.

Osaka on the otherhand is more technologically driven and hi-tech as is the case with all of Japan and offers first class service and culture. I've never been but it's been a place I've looked at since I was a kid. I used to be really into Anime and almost all my products are Japanese from my laptop to my car to just about everything. I feel comfortable with Japanese products and entertainment.

Close call because I could live in either but for a change of pace, lifestyle, and scenery right now Osaka and later on in life would be the option for Los Angeles. If this scenario was applicable.

Beijing probably has a lot of history but I think Xi'an will probably be tops for ancient Chinese history and to be honest little else from what I've looked at about the city really registers to me. I'm sure it's worth visiting at least once to see China's capital but it doesn't seem like the most outsider friendly environment.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
No desire to live in Japan or China, LA is close to San Diego where I come from and I still miss lots of things about SoCal but I would take the Rhine/Ruhrpott area for living. It is not my favorite part of germany but is quite livable. Close to Holland only 2/ 2.5 hours to the coast, Some nice villages on the outskirts...

For visiting would be a toss up, Osaka or Bejing

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Damn, is Beijing really that unpopular on this forum? It only has like one vote.

I'm also amazed at how quickly Rhine-Ruhr caught up to Osaka & Los Angeles on the poll. Then again, I paired these four cities up because they're all so different from one another and all awesome in their own different ways.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-21-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Damn, is Beijing really that unpopular on this forum? It only has like one vote.

I'm also amazed at how quickly Rhine-Ruhr caught up to Osaka & Los Angeles on the poll. Then again, I paired these four cities up because they're all so different from one another and all awesome in their own different ways.
I asked the same thing in my Beijing vs Seoul poll in the Asia forum. Beijing just seems unpopular on this forum. Tellingly, few people on the forum seem to have even been there. I think they just get the impression that all Chinese cities are really polluted, crowded, full of boring architecture with no character. Beijing is actually one of the most fascinating cities I've been to. I've quite forgotten how interesting it is. It isn't the easiest city to get around, no, but would definitely put it above Osaka as far as interest goes, and Rhine-Ruhr. It's just so different from LA to compare it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Why would Beijing be popular? Polluted grey mess.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yeah I've heard tons of people talk about the pollution, but I'm talking the city itself.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
1 Los Angeles by far
2 Osaka
3 Rhein-Ruhr
4 Beijing

Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Beijing is the capital city of China. It has a lot of historical sites to see and the culture there would be unique to anyones experience (I'm guessing even for China).

I'm not saying whether it should be popular or not but what I'm saying is that it should at least get the respect it deserves for what it does have to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1 Los Angeles by far
2 Osaka
3 Rhein-Ruhr
4 Beijing
18Montclair, I had no idea you posted in the World forum.

I did a comparison with Bay Area versus Randstad if you want to take a look: //www.city-data.com/forum/world...-bay-area.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World