U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 61 29.33%
London 53 25.48%
Hong Kong 37 17.79%
Tokyo 28 13.46%
Paris 29 13.94%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM

4,591 posts, read 3,867,332 times

Advertisements

Lol. CliffNotes edition? You just aren’t going to find views and nature in the other cities like you do in HK. None of the other ones are ugly by any stretch, still, it’s a TKO for HK when it comes to nature.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 10:29 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,176,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Gonna go ahead and respectfully disagree with both of you on beaches (NYC) and mountains (Hong Kong) here. First, yes, Tokyo's mountains are overall higher than the ones found near Hong Kong, sure. But, if you've ever seen how immediately prominent, lush, etc, the mountains around Hong Kong are, I don't think you'd be saying the same regarding the mountains there. The image is from the top of Lion Rock. If you don't find that impressive? Well, I'm not quite certain exactly what you'd find impressive lol. Personally, Hong Kong just supplanted Vancouver for me as the city with the most stunning immediate backdrop (and I've been to Rio, as well as all 7 continents). Vancouver, as Tokyo, may be even or on the level of Tokyo when thinking about region. But, for someone in Tokyo to get up into a mountain hiking trail, it'd take probably 2 hours, at least over an hour, so not something they could do every day. But, in Hong Kong, one could literally walk from LKF or Central and be on the Victoria Peak trail in 15-20 minutes, not to mention there's a 100 KM hiking trail north to south across the SAR.

Beaches, maybe when real far out, like 3 plus hours. But keep in mind that right within Hong Kong you have:
-I believe the world's largest continuous volcanic basalt formation. Beaches with Black Sand
-Pink dolphins and Bioluminescent Waters
-Telegraph Bay, with resorts and the like
-Shek O Beach, the one popular with locals I think
-Tai Long Wan (just look at the pictures of it)
-Tai O (more coastal fishing village, than beach, but again, I don't think you'll find an atmosphere that different in NY, as you can find present in HK)

And I'm sure there's more. Not that NYC and region doesn't have nice beaches, as it does, but...
I did go to HK... In short, that was the last time

No I'm not really impressed by these to say the least, because I have major mountains in mind and I'm used to them, climb them too. Below 1500m, vastness becomes modest, nothing that hits your stomach... Specially when a forest of -ugly to me- of buildings reach half your altitude at the top. These are to me steep (well, eroded) hills. Same are in Seoul and Busan in SK, I climbed major points around these two.
For example for me, Busan (SK) destroys HK easily. That's my POV only ofc.

I prefer a week end or a day in quiet and wild/high mountains even if they aren't in the middle of the city but 2h away.

Impressive? A 1km high north face (wall), valleys that are in the shadow when snow is already white at the top of mountains...

Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 AM

To each their own! Don't get me wrong, I agree that what you mention, generally like Alps type mountains, are impressive, but with that being said, I find the 3 km high faces of the Himalayas impressive also, as I also do the 500 m sheer rock face directly overlooking endless views of ultramodern buildings but also vast forest, coast and other variance in the distance. I'm not sure one view is more or less impressive than the other, simply different. The Alps makes up for not being quite as massive as the Himalayas by perhaps having a more pastoral and less rough surrounding, lakes, picturesque towns, and iconic mountains like the Matterhorn, and ski resorts. Comparing the Alps to the mountains surrounding Hong Kong is more difficult of course, but for someone that enjoys lounging at a beach for fishing, trekking through a biodiverse tropical forest, overlooking mountain backdrops, and mountains significant enough to be climate altering, and then being back in one of the most exciting cities for shopping, dining, modern architecture, and general entertainment in the world, in the same day? Everyone's opinion is different, but to me, that is just remarkable also, in it's own way. Were taking this from a city comparison standpoint, anyways. And, among somewhat major global cities, the only one that has more topography in the immediate several miles around town where perhaps a businessman could go hiking after work in quiet woods and hills? That would be Bogota, Colombia. And Bogota does not also feature immediately present coastline, nor tropical rainforest (to my knowledge, though it is a stunner too, perhaps equally so). So in that regard, it's very difficult for me to come up with any city of a significant size that can beat HK when it comes to the nature around it.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:19 AM

7,619 posts, read 6,036,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Lol. CliffNotes edition? You just aren’t going to find views and nature in the other cities like you do in HK. None of the other ones are ugly by any stretch, still, it’s a TKO for HK when it comes to nature.
Hong Kong's nature ... is nothing worth writing home about.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:12 PM

I will have to agree to disagree with you there : ) That said, I think Taipei is one of the short list of cities that could very seriously challenge HK on it or surpass.. right near the coast and 12K+ ft of mRNA is pretty darn impressive in area. That said from looking at weather forecast Taipei looks like it is one of more gray cities on the planet, so I’m not sure how that influences overall enjoyment. Again though, I just find it difficult to believe that any objective evidence exists that would suggest that Hong Kong isn't among the most naturally beautiful major cities of the world, if not the top.

Last edited by cavsfan137; 06-19-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 07:51 PM

28,680 posts, read 27,900,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Hong Kong's nature ... is nothing worth writing home about.
In juxtaposition to a dense urban metropolis, it is pretty great. Hanging out at the beach and going hiking in Hong Kong is a pretty great experience in my opinion, but we’re not all going to share that opinion.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:43 PM

7,393 posts, read 8,106,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In juxtaposition to a dense urban metropolis, it is pretty great. Hanging out at the beach and going hiking in Hong Kong is a pretty great experience in my opinion, but we’re not all going to share that opinion.
Yeah, one of my enduring memories is riding a roller coaster at Ocean Park and seeing in front of me a vast ocean (or sea I guess), followed by mountains, followed by amazing skyline. Just rotating depending on how my body was spinning...

Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 PM

1,678 posts, read 778,324 times
The Dragon's Back Trail of Hong Kong was voted Asia's Best Urban Hike by Time Magazine in 2004:
https://www.aspirantsg.com/hong-kong...-hike-in-asia/

When I wrote Hong Kong tops the other 4 cities in beaches and hiking, I meant those are within the City boundary.

Long Island has nice beaches. But they are not within NYC. One can hike up Mt. Fuji from the Fifth Lantern, but it is not within Tokyo.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:24 AM

16,860 posts, read 6,196,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In this ranking, outside of Hong Kong and only if you extend Hong Kong far out, NYC and its region has a much greater and more diverse in terms of what the vibe is like for its beaches. NYC is mostly on islands and always close to the coast while having transit to beaches and being at a more southerly position than London or Paris. In some ways, the great beaches of NYC and its general area are a saving grace for a lot of things that aren't great about the city and its metropolitan region. The closest beaches to London are quite a bit colder than those of NYC in the summer prime beach months.
LOL - it's currently nearly 90f in many parts of the UK.

You can just get on a train and be at the beach within an hour from London.

10 best beaches near London to visit this weekend | Time Out

Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 AM

As a general trend though, the waters around London are cooler than those of NYC : )

That said, I think the scenery of the coastline near London tops that of NYC, and actually is prettier than most coastlines so close to a city anywhere in the world. The White Cliffs of Dover would be one of the more rugged and picturesque spots on the American west coast, and it's an easy day trip from London. I've also heard excellent things about Brighton as a beach town destination of late, though I'm not sure how it compares to the beach towns surrounding NYC.

London isn't exactly known as a hot bed for natural scenery, but I'd say when comparing it against all the 30 or so metros of a significant size that aren't in the western US on topography, coastal features/proximity, layout/green spaces, etc, London might have all of them beat as a whole package. Tokyo probably only answers to a handful of cities in the world on the natural scenery surrounding it, the only cities in the US I think in it's league would be like Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Honolulu.. Nagano a 2 hour train ride and Kamakura a 1 hour train ride plus numerous outstanding gardens and parks within the city, pretty tough combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World