U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 61 29.33%
London 53 25.48%
Hong Kong 37 17.79%
Tokyo 28 13.46%
Paris 29 13.94%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,170,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Greenbelt are important, in terms of getting on a train and just finding somewhere away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

They are also important in terms of mental health and indeed physical health in terms of frsh air and excercise.

Although European cities are generally not to bad when compared to parts of the Far East such as China and other such areas across the world.
^ Go to Yau Ma Tei in HK and admire the "great HK" and the price you pay for a terrible appartement. It's dirty and cockroaches (actually normal considering the latitude) are your friends. It's hard to survive there 3-4 days... I don't know why people like HK. It's a temple of finance indeed, amazing for self made mans, but I doubt a lot of people went there for real real, even more to live there, not through google image. Seoul is quite suffocating too. I guess the HK I was picturing is actually Singapore.
Busan, Fukuoka, great . I cant' wait for Kyoto...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 AM

7,603 posts, read 6,014,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
FYI, Hong Kong is very run down, unplanned, and polluted. The air quality is almost as bad as Beijing or Mexico City. The traffic is horrible and could rival Los Angeles.

Other than that, Hong Kong has some neat stuff, but nothing you couldn't get in Singapore, which is as neat, well planned, and green as Tokyo.
HK's air pollution is bad but it doesn't rival Beijing. And Tokyo is not green at all. HK has a lot more green space (though most of it is protected area).

PM 2.5 concentration (2018)
Beijing: 50.9
Hong Kong: 20.9

Old 03-27-2019, 02:53 PM

4,151 posts, read 1,612,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Oh well, I guess the media exaggerates HK air pollution.

An annual PM 2.5 level of 20.9, though, seems actually pretty decent. The most polluted cities in the U.S. (Bakersfield, Fresno) are around 20 PM 2.5 each year.

I think though, that you're taking the Hong Kong statistic from a rural air quality monitoring station where the air is much better than Central, Kowloon, or even Tseung Kwan O. I remember looking up these air quality stats and finding that most areas in Hong Kong far exceed 20.9 for PM 2.5, and that the area with cleanest air in Hong Kong is in the low 20s for PM 2.5.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:30 PM

1,901 posts, read 814,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
^ Go to Yau Ma Tei in HK and admire the "great HK" and the price you pay for a terrible appartement. It's dirty and cockroaches (actually normal considering the latitude) are your friends. It's hard to survive there 3-4 days... I don't know why people like HK. It's a temple of finance indeed, amazing for self made mans, but I doubt a lot of people went there for real real, even more to live there, not through google image. Seoul is quite suffocating too. I guess the HK I was picturing is actually Singapore.
If you do not like cockroaches don't come to Sydney! I love London, enjoy Hong Kong, hate New York ( was last there when I had a knee injury. What a nightmare. ) Still have to get to Tokyo. I think Hong Kong is the only really high rise city that I really like. The harbour breaks it up and you can easily access green areas.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:18 PM

28,610 posts, read 27,816,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
HK's air pollution is bad but it doesn't rival Beijing. And Tokyo is not green at all. HK has a lot more green space (though most of it is protected area).

Tokyo isn't very high up when it comes to percentage of public green space, but helped by its climate with ample precipitation and pretty moderate winters, streets and properties often have green popping out of places especially in potted plants which people outside homes which people don't wreck the way they do in NYC. Side streets with random plantings like this aren't that rare. I do wish it had more public green space though, which it is very incrementally adding.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:53 AM

7 posts, read 3,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
So many wrong takes.

New York is not "falling apart." It's undergoing a renaissance right now and is nearly a decade into its biggest construction boom. The city hasn't looked better in the past 80 years.

"Crime everywhere" is laughable. It's an extremely safe city and puts all other American cities to shame.

Hong Kong is safer, cleaner but definitely not "more modern." Walk around Hong Kong and closely look at the buildings. The majority are 70s/80s commie blocks that are extremely low quality and third world in appearance. New York's old skyscrapers, on the other hand, are timeless in quality and build. And both cities have tons of generic corporates, so I don't see what makes Hong Kong more "modern" in your view. Hong Kong, if anything, looks stuck in the 90s.

NYC is flat? Here's a picture of New York from Bear Mountain: ...

I'm sorry you're irrationally infatuated with NYC, but NYC... "extremely safe"? You ****in' kidding me? LOL

What's with the photo of NYC from Bear Mountain? Sure, Bear Mountain might be hilly, but we ain't talkin' about Bear Mountain, we're talkin' about NYC, and NYC looks flat as hell to me in that photograph!

Old 04-13-2019, 04:32 AM

478 posts, read 470,199 times
These competitions are so, so silly.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 AM

4,151 posts, read 1,612,134 times
People say that the real estate in Tokyo has gotten exponentially cheaper in the past decade, so much so that apartments in Tokyo are cheaper, per square foot, than those in NYC, San Francisco, or even Los Angeles. Is this true?

Old 04-13-2019, 10:02 AM

4,590 posts, read 3,852,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
HK certainly has it's issues and is not perfect (as no place is), but I think you underestimate it.

It has...
-World Class Career Opportunities
-Incredible Level of Urbanity (more skyscrapers than anywhere, manages population density well)
-Outstanding Public Transit
-One of the safest cities in the whole world
-Outstanding park system (really the whole city outside the core, rainforest, mountains, beach, etc.)
-Unique shopping culture (world class high end malls, night markets/street markets everywhere)
-Entertainment/Events (Art Basel, Rugby Sevens, Disneyland, etc.)
-Excellent Location (and airport, for getting to various world destinations)
-Amazing food scene (Top 5 in Michelin Restaurants, and even the food right off the street)
-Traditional Culture (stilt fishing villages, hundreds of year old temples, concession district, etc.)

In some ways, I think that while it might not necessarily be my favorite of this group, I would say it probably is the most immediately awe inducing among this group...

Old 04-14-2019, 01:32 AM

322 posts, read 463,639 times
New York, London, Paris, and Tokyo are seen as international centres but Hong Kong, an Asian one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World