Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 63 29.17%
London 55 25.46%
Hong Kong 38 17.59%
Tokyo 31 14.35%
Paris 29 13.43%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 12:41 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
People say that the real estate in Tokyo has gotten exponentially cheaper in the past decade, so much so that apartments in Tokyo are cheaper, per square foot, than those in NYC, San Francisco, or even Los Angeles. Is this true?
It hasn't gotten "cheaper". It just hasn't risen at rates similar to NYC, SF, and LA. Japan is losing people and many homes across the country have been depreciating in value since the 90s. Central cities, namely Osaka and Tokyo, still have price increases in desirable neighborhoods. There are definitely relatively affordable places in Tokyo (Japanese standards, e.g. small units) that are safe, convenient, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 04:42 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't really think Hong Kong belongs on this list right now. It's got a strong financial services industry and it used to have a massive entertainment industry (much truncated now), but it's not in the same overall tier the other four are.

Philly is severely underrated. America doesn't really have that many great walkable major cities, and Philadelphia is definitely among the best. It did take a huge hit in the rush out towards the suburbs, but the had started slowing significantly in the 90s and is now rebounding back up with net population growth in recent years after decades of falling population. It's also true that a good number of artists, artisans, designers and musicians that helped make NYC such a desirable place to live in over the last two decades are now getting priced out of the city, and a good deal of that overflow has actually been going down to Philly (which is much cheaper but still very much city living while still able to easily make it up to NYC). It's also been happening with the immigrant east and southeast asian communities which are growing quickly in Philly which means you have incongruously good pho in the city. Though NYC's treating me pretty well, I do feel Philly is pretty attractive with south philadelphia being particularly attractive to me.

Aw c'mon. Philadelphia is Center City surrounded by an enormous slum. Even in Center City, you're constantly faced with the squalor of homeless people, druggies, and street bums.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:56 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
It hasn't gotten "cheaper". It just hasn't risen at rates similar to NYC, SF, and LA. Japan is losing people and many homes across the country have been depreciating in value since the 90s. Central cities, namely Osaka and Tokyo, still have price increases in desirable neighborhoods. There are definitely relatively affordable places in Tokyo (Japanese standards, e.g. small units) that are safe, convenient, etc.
Are flats in Tokyo cheaper than flats in a comparably nice and convenient part of San Fran?

Old 04-14-2019, 12:53 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Aw c'mon. Philadelphia is Center City surrounded by an enormous slum. Even in Center City, you're constantly faced with the squalor of homeless people, druggies, and street bums.
Not really true. In terms of areas near Center City, the slums are to the north of Center City (but gentrification has been pushing north and neighborhoods like Fairmount, Northern Liberties and Fishtown are doing great) and east across the river in Camden.

West of Center City has been Penn and Drexel stabilizing the area and the "nice part" of West Philadelphia has been steadily pushing westwards for a long while. South Philadelphia has some rough parts, but immediately south of Center City is great and is host to some of the cities best neighborhoods. Going past the ragged parts of North Philadelphia is Northwest Philadelphia where there are great streetcar suburb neighborhoods like Chestnut Hill and Manayunk/Roxborough.

Center City is pretty great though.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
I've been to all but Hong Kong. Prefer NYC over the rest, though I'd be interested in seeing how a visit to Hong Kong would change my perception.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:57 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Tokyo isn't very high up when it comes to percentage of public green space, but helped by its climate with ample precipitation and pretty moderate winters, streets and properties often have green popping out of places especially in potted plants which people outside homes which people don't wreck the way they do in NYC. Side streets with random plantings like this aren't that rare. I do wish it had more public green space though, which it is very incrementally adding.
I guess not all of NYC. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6367...7i16384!8i8192

Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
New York, London, Paris, and Tokyo are seen as international centres but Hong Kong, an Asian one.
Singapore is more international than HK these days. Xi Jinping is an effing idiot who has no idea how to run a country, trying to run Hong Kong out of business and sabotage China's number one economic center. Brilliant.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:46 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That isn't exactly comparing like with like, though. That neighborhood appears to be Flatbush section of Brooklyn (?), several miles outside of the city center, whilst the picture he posted was from Shinjuku, one of the densest heartbeat areas in all of Tokyo, perhaps more like an equivalent for the heart of Manhattan though Tokyo isn't really built in that manner. I get what he is saying, and would agree that Tokyo and a few other global cities do better in that regard of greenery along the streets than some of their American similarly urban counterparts do.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,239 times
Default love newyork

yes i love newyork because that's is my birth place

Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
That isn't exactly comparing like with like, though. That neighborhood appears to be Flatbush section of Brooklyn (?), several miles outside of the city center, whilst the picture he posted was from Shinjuku, one of the densest heartbeat areas in all of Tokyo, perhaps more like an equivalent for the heart of Manhattan though Tokyo isn't really built in that manner. I get what he is saying, and would agree that Tokyo and a few other global cities do better in that regard of greenery along the streets than some of their American similarly urban counterparts do.
No, it's not. I just dropped the Google guy and that's what I got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World