Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM

8 posts, read 10,982 times

Advertisements

We are a non-conventional family of four seriously entertaining the idea of immigrating from the U.S. (Please, no responses calling us deserters, traitors, etc. . . . you're welcome to your views, but I don't want to hear them.)

Here's our family stats. I know it's almost too much information, but I know that the fact that my mother and I have semi-serious chronic illnesses might make us "undesirable" to some countries, and is relevant information.

I'm a 28-year old self-employed transcriptionist with SLE/Discoid Lupus.
My husband is a 30-year old CAD Drafter with 8 years experience after his Associates Degree in Drafting.
My mother is a 59-year old Buyer for a Fortune 1000 company with Diabetes/Charcot's Foot.
Then we have my son who is an 8-year old bundle of energy with fall/winter Asthma who loves to play his Wii.

We don't have savings, we don't have much equity in our home, and few other assets. We're fed up with so many things, and are seriously considering walking away from the U.S. of A. and starting over somewhere new.

However, when I search online for information about easy places for Americans to immigrate to, of course all I'm finding is for retirees. What about families? Does anyone have any suggestions of countries that I might research that would welcome our non-conventional family of four that needs to maintain a lower cost of living, yet not be a hell-hole where we'd fear for our lives every day?

I appreciate anyone's time that looks at this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,427,102 times
I am planning to do the same in a few years, but it is more for business opportunities (to open my own business). Not sure yet where though. I would recommend getting some money saved up. Depending on where you go, homes/apartments will be more expensive. It will also help to pick a place (do your homework) and then visit the place (to make sure). Once you have made your choice, then become students of the language and culture.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 AM

Yes, saving is definitely on the list so that we can visit; we're also starting a purging of our non-essential belongings which will benefit us even if we stay here, but would definitely help if we move. I'm the type of person that I investigate way ahead of time though so that I can look at every facet of something. Please keep me updated on where you end up looking at moving to? (BTW, I'm a Missourian as well, just catty-corner in the state from you!)

Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,427,102 times
Cool! My time-frame is in about 4-5 years. My girlfriend is German and we are waiting for the right opportunity to present itself. We are keeping our eyes (for this opportunity) on Uruguay, Equador, Peru, Chile, Panama, Costa Rica, South Africa, and Australia/NZ. Maybe more, if the right opportunity presents itself. We both are "investigators" as well! That is part of the fun! Good luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,032,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlwhit03 View Post
We are a non-conventional family of four seriously entertaining the idea of immigrating from the U.S. (Please, no responses calling us deserters, traitors, etc. . . . you're welcome to your views, but I don't want to hear them.)

Here's our family stats. I know it's almost too much information, but I know that the fact that my mother and I have semi-serious chronic illnesses might make us "undesirable" to some countries, and is relevant information.

I'm a 28-year old self-employed transcriptionist with SLE/Discoid Lupus.
My husband is a 30-year old CAD Drafter with 8 years experience after his Associates Degree in Drafting.
My mother is a 59-year old Buyer for a Fortune 1000 company with Diabetes/Charcot's Foot.
Then we have my son who is an 8-year old bundle of energy with fall/winter Asthma who loves to play his Wii.

We don't have savings, we don't have much equity in our home, and few other assets. We're fed up with so many things, and are seriously considering walking away from the U.S. of A. and starting over somewhere new.

However, when I search online for information about easy places for Americans to immigrate to, of course all I'm finding is for retirees. What about families? Does anyone have any suggestions of countries that I might research that would welcome our non-conventional family of four that needs to maintain a lower cost of living, yet not be a hell-hole where we'd fear for our lives every day?

I appreciate anyone's time that looks at this!
Judging from your information, it doesn't look like you're going to be moving from the US anytime soon. No country recognizes associates degrees, and your husband seems like has the best chance of getting you guys out of the country. Your mother is basically out of the equation since getting parents to a new country is more time consuming than primary applicant, spouse, and child(ren). Unless your husband plans on transferring his associates and getting a bachelor's dehree in his field, then the UK is out of the question, Republic of Ireland has an economy in the toilet. Canada and Australia seem to be the best options, but his lack of a bachelor's degree costs him a lot of points since associates degrees are not recognized anywhere but the US. Of course, I'm also assuming you don't speak, read, or write any other language but English?

Of course, if you have an entrepreneurial spirit with solid business plans, then it changes things

Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Judging from your information, it doesn't look like you're going to be moving from the US anytime soon. No country recognizes associates degrees, and your husband seems like has the best chance of getting you guys out of the country. Your mother is basically out of the equation since getting parents to a new country is more time consuming than primary applicant, spouse, and child(ren). Unless your husband plans on transferring his associates and getting a bachelor's dehree in his field, then the UK is out of the question, Republic of Ireland has an economy in the toilet. Canada and Australia seem to be the best options, but his lack of a bachelor's degree costs him a lot of points since associates degrees are not recognized anywhere but the US. Of course, I'm also assuming you don't speak, read, or write any other language but English?

Of course, if you have an entrepreneurial spirit with solid business plans, then it changes things

I guess I should have added that I have an Associate's Degree in Business, along with a Bachelor's in Justice Studies/Criminal Justice, I just don't use them. Nothing says that I couldn't, though.

My husband and I both have rudimentary Spanish skills, myself more so. I can catch quite a bit of what's being said to me, and read some, but mostly the basic, simple things, sadly. (Four years of classes down the drain . . . )

Thanks for your information - I was afraid that might be an answer, but you never know until you check . . . . .

Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,032,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlwhit03 View Post
I guess I should have added that I have an Associate's Degree in Business, along with a Bachelor's in Justice Studies/Criminal Justice, I just don't use them. Nothing says that I couldn't, though.

My husband and I both have rudimentary Spanish skills, myself more so. I can catch quite a bit of what's being said to me, and read some, but mostly the basic, simple things, sadly. (Four years of classes down the drain . . . )

Thanks for your information - I was afraid that might be an answer, but you never know until you check . . . . .
Yeah, unfortunately. Most countries either want a bachelor's degree, or higher, in an in demand field (unfortunately everyone and their dog has a Business degree these days) plenty of years of experience (you'll have to check the immigration websites for that) if you don't have one. If your husband goes back for his Bachelor's, you guys stand a pretty decent chance of emigrating, especially to Australia, I think. What's your primary reason for moving?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM

One of our goals for moving is to help him find work that's actually needed and thus rewarded as something more than a peon status. (He works for an engineering firm doing drawings for substation/electrical layouts, etc. He has a thorough enough knowledge of the software to branch out though.) Here he's a dime a dozen and gets paid crap, especially in his company. Even though we live in a semi-decent sized metro area, there aren't many companies that hire for his position, and if they are out there, the people there usually stay in those positions because they don't come open often, thus there aren't many options.

Secondly, and almost as important, I'm absolutely terrified of where this country is headed. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I feel another Civil War is imminent. I hate our President and the politics in this country, and I really think we'd be happier living in a smaller country. I know that means we'll have to give up a lot of the luxuries that this country offers, but that may be a sacrifice we're willing to make.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM

24,955 posts, read 11,389,756 times
Why do you not start your search for the perfect place by going through the official sites of various countries to check the immigration requirements?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 55,878 times
I've heard Latin America, specially Colombia and Brazil are growing exponentially and are great places to live. Colombia apparently has their fiscal house in order and offers great food, weather, landscapes, and friendly people, just like Brazil except Brazil's economy tends to be less stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World