Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mexico City or Madrid?
Mexico City 29 38.67%
Madrid 46 61.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

But what would be the better city in 1500?

Scenery? Nightlife? People? Architecture? Dining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

That'd be interesting, since there was a city there before Mexico City, the Aztec capital built in the middle of a lake (forget the name). It would be really exotic and interesting. I suppose nightlife there might consist of attending a ceremony where they sacrifice young men and women to the sun god or something...

Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 AM

485 posts, read 2,244,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Mexico city air is like smoking 20 cigarettes a day. Also your family gets kidnapped by drug dealers if you are anything approaching wealthy. Basically its a dump.

Madrid is a proud european city on the other hand, with many great churches and museums.
Lost in my little world: HA!!!, And You Thought We Were Riding Donkeys, Mexico City.

Well nuff said, and your opinion or statement is from the last century. Mexico City has gotten a lot cleaner and safer over the years, the city has taken initiative to get fuel efficient busses running, bicycles available for people to use for rent, there's been less crime too. Mexico City is a safe place, safe enough that you can be calm and tranquil but not passive, I guess it's a good idea to come with someone who knows the place or something.

Mexico City, I swear has the most churches of any other Mexican City or any other city in the world for that matter. Mexicans are still really religious and devout people. Most are Roman Catholic with a minority being Protestant or Atheist. Also according to this link, Mexico City has the most museums of any city in the world! I would love to go in the Palace of the Fine Arts in Mexico City.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Tenochtitlan was supposedly amazing. Probably a lot more fun than Spain during its Inquisition phase

Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Tenochtitlan was supposedly amazing. Probably a lot more fun than Spain during its Inquisition phase

I second that and I have no idea how it would be in 1500. I'd like to see someone have a say in this.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
In the Spain vs. Mexico thread, I chose Spain.

Here I choose Mexico City.

I am just a bundle of contradictions.

My reasoning is that Madrid is not the part of Spain that interests me, whereas Mexico City is, in my opinion, the crucible of Latin American culture north of the Equator. Not to diminish other Latin American capitals, but El Monstro is something I would like to experience.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:13 PM

424 posts, read 465,379 times
I was in Madrid this past October - my first time to the city. It was very clean and compact in the city center. Most of the buildings I saw in the historic areas (neighborhoods north and south of gran via, plaza de españa, retiro, chueca, etc.) looked like the were built during the 19th century at the earliest. There were a few buildings and churches that I saw, and having read about their history, was aware that they were from 17th and 18th century.....but overall Madrid's "historic core" isn't that old compared to other European capitals such as Rome.

The Spanish monarch barely established Madrid as the capital of Spain in 1561. Prior to that it was only a small village/hunting outpost.

Mexico City's historic core has buildings that are much older than those in Madrid. Mexico City has served as a capital in some capacity for nearly 700 years.

CDMX served as a capital not only under the Aztecs from the 1300s - early 1500s but it was then restablished as the capital of New Spain in the 1520s. That's nearly 40 years before the Spanish royal court was relocated from Valldolid to Madrid....

So for any of you who voted for Madrid thinking just because it's European that it must be older.....let this sink in for a bit.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:14 AM

8 posts, read 6,376 times
They're not comparable.

It's like comparing NY to San Francisco.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Compare in all the usual factors. Obviously, quality of life probably goes to Madrid. I'm most curious about these measures:

Architecture - Spain has a longer European history but Mexico City has tons of colonial buildings as well as the pre-colonial Aztec civilisation.

Entertainment/Nightlife - Both have that Latin flair. Mexico City is a monster yet Madrid is renowned for it's nightlife. Which do you think comes out top?

Dining - I've heard good things about both. It would depend if you prefer Mexican or Spanish food, but both have diverse international dining scenes.

Scenery - I'd probably say Mexico City is more stunning.

People/Friendliness - No idea about this one
Architecture: Madrid

Entertainment/Nightlife: Mexico City

Dining: Madrid for fine dining, Mexico City otherwise

Scenery: Mexico City (but Madrid has the beautiful sierras that you can see from certain parts like the Royal Palace)

People/Friendliness: Mexico City

Which I prefer: Madrid (studied abroad there for 6 months)

Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 AM

32 posts, read 31,866 times
Mexico City is huge.
But the nightlife was really crappy compared to Madrid which was a surprise.
Thought it would be people going out till 7 or 8 in the morning or later like they do in Madrid.
It was similar to the USA where .
Nightlife really does out after 1 am.
And I did find the crowds of central Madrid to be every bit as overwhelming as ciudad de México.
Theres were certain hours where you couldn't fit a needle.
Mexico cities center is much bigger though.
Obviously Mexico City is alot more spread out as it's a much bigger city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World