Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 47 22.07%
Montreal 56 26.29%
Sydney 57 26.76%
Toronto 53 24.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,803,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal is roughly the same size as Melbourne: 4 million vs. 4.1 million in their respective metro areas.

Sydney has 4.6 million and Toronto is pushing 6 million.
Yet Sydney is more globally well-known, has a comparable GDP, and has more character than T-dot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM

408 posts, read 605,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yet Sydney is more globally well-known, has a comparable GDP, and has more character than T-dot.
While you're wrong on all three accounts, I can only provide proof where stats are available.

Toronto GDP is estimated at 260 billion, Sydney's is estimated at 203 billion. (ppp adjusted, brookings institution 2012)

As for the other two points, I reckon you've spent a bit too much time down under

Mind you, Sydney does very well considering how incredibly isolated it is from the rest of the world. Toronto could do better for its location.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
While you're wrong on all three accounts, I can only provide proof where stats are available.

Toronto GDP is estimated at 260 billion, Sydney's is estimated at 203 billion. (ppp adjusted, brookings institution 2012)

As for the other two points, I reckon you've spent a bit too much time down under

Mind you, Sydney does very well considering how incredibly isolated it is from the rest of the world. Toronto could do better for its location.
Ask the average tourist which appeals to them or allures them more. The majority will say Sydney. What does Toronto truly offer for tourists aside from a tall tower?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 PM

26,770 posts, read 37,699,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post

I would submit that Sydney arguably has a higher global profile than Toronto does. Perhaps in large part due to the the fact that it is isolated and doesn't have as many large and similar cities in its broad ''neighbourhood'' to overshadow it.

Plus, Australia has a more clearly-defined identity and image internationally compared to Canada, which also helps Sydney.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,277,620 times
Quote:
I would submit that Sydney arguably has a higher global profile than Toronto does. Perhaps in large part due to the the fact that it is isolated and doesn't have as many large and similar cities in its broad ''neighbourhood'' to overshadow it.

Plus, Australia has a more clearly-defined identity and image internationally compared to Canada, which also helps Sydney.
Really? You don't think it might have more to do with the fact that it is breathtakingly beautiful, has gorgeous beaches, world famous landmarks, and a lifestyle envied around the world?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM

26,770 posts, read 37,699,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Really? You don't think it might have more to do with the fact that it is breathtakingly beautiful, has gorgeous beaches, world famous landmarks, and a lifestyle envied around the world?
All of this is true. (I love Sydney, to be quite honest.) But that's mostly what makes it a tourist hotspot.

Toronto is quite a bit larger and has more economic clout. These things also play a role in a city's global profile. Along with other factors we have not mentioned here.

So it's really the factors you cited plus those I cited that give Sydney its pretty enviable global image.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,277,620 times
Quote:
All of this is true. (I love Sydney, to be quite honest.) But that's mostly what makes it a tourist hotspot.

Toronto is quite a bit larger and has more economic clout. These things also play a role in a city's global profile. Along with other factors we have not mentioned here.

So it's really the factors you cited plus those I cited that give Sydney its pretty enviable global image.
I generally agree with you so I don't want to nitpick... but. The economic clout point is arguable. There are several business surveys that rate Sydney higher than Toronto. In any event the gap is insignificant. The size difference - 4.6m vs 5.6m - is also not significant enough to have any impact on global profile.

The difference in the visual image, however, is massive. Sydney is an iconic, dreamy, immediately recognizable destination. Toronto is... a big city in Canada.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 PM

455 posts, read 1,126,412 times
Quote:
Ask the average tourist which appeals to them or allures them more. The majority will say Sydney. What does Toronto truly offer for tourists aside from a tall tower?
Come on what a ridiculous question. You can ask what does Sydney offer more than a sail shaped opera house?

People come to Toronto for the reasons people go to any world class city. Toronto offers the opportunity for many to experience a very lively large and safe city with an international reputation for offering great multicultural dining and experiences, international festivals etc.

From what I understand Australian tourism as a whole has seen a downturn the last few years especially from those coming from the US and Europe. Just for the fact it's becoming hard for Australia to define itself to those tourists just why it's worth it (especially with the economy) to come all the way out there when it's essentially just another western country, as opposed to the more alluring far-eastern asia?

Also you mention this vague concept of the "average tourist", from what i understand "the average tourist" in Australia is now Chinese? and trust me there are plenty of those in toronto already.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 AM

582 posts, read 1,176,668 times
Quote:
Is this post serious? The better question is why not visit Toronto? It's world class to the maximum.

The skyline is breathtaking, house clubs and nightlife is world class, hockey hall of fame, mega city in size with great transit and urbanity and a unique food scene. I would recommend all four cities in this thread, but Toronto does not deserve to be bashed.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Good post. Canadians are just jealous of our weather, the fact Sydney is much more beautiful than Toronto.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World