Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,689 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planing to spend 10 days in Amsterdam in May.
We are in our low 40's. Not very crazy party people either!

Where would you recommend to stay?
What restaurants should we try?
Any other attractions: Museums, open markets, cruises on the river,...etc

We thank you in advance for your feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,481 times
I've been to The Netherlands twice now, and it's one of my favorite countries on earth. I just love it.

First off, I have found the Dutch people to be some of the friendliest in the world (and I've traveled quite extensively too). First time I was there was with my family and the second time was with friends. I remember us being lost somewhere in Amsterdam and stopping on the side of the road with our map out and several (not just one) people going out of their way to stop and help us and point us in the right direction. In addition, I also found the people to be very chatty and just all around pleasant in general. I honestly don't think I had one bad personal encounter anywhere in The Netherlands.

Moving on to actual cities/places/things to do. Amsterdam is a great city. I know that it has a bit of a reputation as being a place to party because of its Red Light District and the legalized prostitution and pot, etc. However, while this is true if you are into that scene, beyond that there is SO MUCH more that the city has to offer. Amsterdam is a beautiful and charming city. The architecture and the canals are gorgeous and one of my favorite things was just to wander aimlessly around looking at the shops and just taking it easy. Jordaan is a great district and one of my favorites with lots of great shops and restaurants. It's great for an afternoon of strolling and shopping. Besides that, there's tons of museums (Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Rijksmuseum, etc.), the IAMsterdam sign is fun for a photo opportunity, Dam Square and the Royal Palace, and of course the Anne Frank House which is amazing and well worth the wait (get there when it opens to beat the crowds). The river cruises are great too. We did an hour long one and it was relaxing and informative. Plus, it's nice just to get off your feet. There are also a lot of great parks too. Vondelpark comes to mind. Those are things that just first popped into my mind, there's tons more stuff to do as well. Like I said previously, there's also the Red Light District and the party scene if you're into all that.

Outside of Amsterdam, I've also been to Rotterdam (I have a Dutch friend who lives there) and Maastricht. Both of these cities are very nice as well. I especially like Maastricht. It's a very charming city with a lot of character. I've only been to both of these cities for a day each though, so my knowledge is much more focused on Amsterdam. If you guys have time, I think a day trip or two would be fun. You can look for day packages online with different companies. If you do go to Maastricht (either with a tour group of just by hopping on a train at Amsterdam Centraal one morning), then you're right on the borders with Belgium and Germany too, so you can hop over if you wanted to.

As far as places to stay, there are tons of hotels ranging from all price ranges and star ratings so I'm sure that you'll be able to secure something if you search. Just search sites like Orbitz, Priceline, etc. and see what pops up. Sometimes I get a nice 4* hotel for like $80 a night in the off-season in different places. Just play around with it and you can find a good deal. The public transportation in Amsterdam is also very good. The trolley system is great. It's easy to use, relatively cheap (compared to say the Tube in London, for example), and clean and efficient. There are attendants who sit in these little cubicles (for lack of a better word) and you can go up to them and buy your ticket when you first hop on. Tip: Remember that you have to scan your card when you get both on and off the trolley. Besides the trolleys, we just walked everywhere. The city is very walkable and quite compact. You'll learn your way around very quickly. Also, bikes are the main form of transportation in Amsterdam. They're EVERYWHERE. You can't miss them. I think one of the guides told us that there are more bikes than people in Amsterdam. There's literally millions of them. You'll see what I'm talking about when you arrive. It's fun to rent one and ride around for a few hours too.

The food is also good in my experiences. There are a lot of Italian, Indonesian, Chinese, and Argentinian restaurants, if memory serves. Of course, you can get basically any kind of cuisine, but these really stick out to me. Another great thing is that there are tons of fry stands and little shops everywhere throughout Amsterdam. You can stop and pay like a few euro and they give you a massive portion of fries. They're delicious. I also loved stopping into bakeries because the Dutch pastries and sweets are to die for. I remember specifically I would always get this Dutch thing where it was basically a ball of fried dough with sugar sprinkled everywhere on it. It think they're called Kwarkbollen or something like that. Sounds weird, but try them. Again, delicious.

As far as language, I find the Dutch language very hard to pronounce personally and a little strange (no offense Dutch people!), but literally everyone speaks English (their school system and language skills are superb). People will address you and speak to you in English when they see that you're a tourist. However, I always learn basic phrases when I travel to different countries and I found that the Dutch people really appreciated me attempting to use their language (not very successfully though lol). The country is also very accepting and fun and they have a strong live and let live attitude. I love this about the Dutch and I find it very appealing.

Also, almost forgot, if you're there in May then go and see the tulips! They should be in full bloom I'd imagine, so go see the famous Dutch tulips.

So, yeah, that's a long post and I'm sure that some of our Dutch posters will be able to give you more/better advice, but that's just some of the stuff that I remember. Like I said, I truly love Amsterdam and The Netherlands in general. I'm sure you'll have a great trip! Enjoy and come back and let us know about your trip!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
What great timing!

I'll be there in mid April for 2 very nice activities:
The Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt Museum) has been closed for over a decade (only a few rooms open) - it opens on 23 March.
Go during the week.

Try Keukenhof for a day away from A'dam.
It's tulip festival time! You might even get to see the parade.

Also a train ride away is Gouda, home of gouda cheese.
When I drive up, I always spend at least 100€ for good cheese. It comes in young, middle and old. That's it.

For accommodations, try airbnb.com.
I stayed walking distance from town for <50€/night.
Inexpensive accommodations for Amsterdam.

Get an Eyewitness book from the library and see what piques your interest.

Oh, absolutely enjoy your time.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-23-2013 at 02:00 AM..

Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM

Thank you CityLover9 and chielgirl for your input!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
I love Amsterdam. It’s a beautiful city with very friendly people (and much cheaper than Paris or London). However, it’s pretty small. For all the museums, etc., I think you’ll run out of things to do after a while. You might want to plan a couple of trips out the city. Train service in the Netherlands is amazing; you can get almost anywhere quickly and affordably.

I like the smaller, local hotels. They’re a little larger than a B&B (although many provide an excellent breakfast) but have more charm than a huge chain.

Have fun.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 PM

490 posts, read 682,402 times
I lived in Amsterdam for 3 years and still visit often.

For scenery the grachtengordel or canal ring is beautiful. It consists of Brouwersgracht (my favourite) Singel, Keizersgracht, Herengracht and Prinzengracht with several smaller connecting canals. Fantastic to just walk around. Plenty of nice hotels on those streets as well.

There are many museums and galleries as already mentioned. The Anne Frank house always has a queue around the corner, but you really have to see it anyway.

The Jordaan is nice to walk around too.

Avoid eating in any of the areas around the red light district. The food is mostly poor and overpriced. Greenwoods on Singel is my favourite cafe. Great food and not overpriced. There a great little burger bar on Kolksteeg off the Neuwendijk too.

For a side trip go to Haarlem, it's right by Amsterdam and very scenic.

Take some warm clothing as the evenings can be chilly in May with the wind blowing off the North Sea.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:33 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Include a visit to Delft, where the famous blue china is painted. You also might like a stay at the Museum Hotel Delft. While there visit the Oude Kerk, its most recognizable feature is a 75-meter-high brick tower that leans about two meters from the vertical.

As best I recall, Delft is about 20 minutes by train from Den Haag.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 AM

Thanks every one for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World