Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
India.
Too dirty and people don't wash their hands after making a poo.
Me too.

No interest in visting India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes we can be rather boorish, but naturally the loud boorish ones will stand out. It doesn't mean most of us are like that (At least not sober!).

Well I'm just pointing out ways in which I think we're the 'lucky country.' There are aspects of life where I prefer here over the US.

You just sound closed-minded about Australia. I've been to America and generally found the people friendly. I don't let stereotypes prevent me from giving a place a 'fair go' as we say here.
The loud, boorish ones stand out for me because they are truly the ONLY ones I've met. They are also the only ones most of the people I know have met. Some people (not surprisingly, white) find the boorish thing endearing and cute. I find it absolutely obnoxious. It's like every frat boy and sorority girl bought a huge island, populated it, and called it "Australia!"

And once again, we are not talking about the US, but Australia. Make a thread about how you prefer Australia over the US if you feel such a gut reaction to constantly say SOMETHING about the US. It's annoying when you and so many others on this site use the Red Herring move. It reveals less about the US and its people, and more about the opposing side...

I probably am close-minded about Australia. However, the question was which countries you have no interest in visiting, and by extension getting to know. Australia is one of them for me.

I don't like Australia. Deal with it. I'm sure Australia has great people. Every country does. It's a shame I will never know them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Well, that just makes it worse, in my opinion. One would say what annoys you the most is not racism but the fact that people might not be physically cowardly in their racism...
Well then, one would be wrong. Racism, in my opinion, is wrong in WHATEVER form it is in. I, being American, am much more accustomed to "Cowardly racism" than this obnoxious "Aussie racism" that they flaunt about. In the US, the people would be shocked if a public figure, for example, called Obama a racial slur. What you usually would find, however, are people who say things like, "He just doesn't 'look' like a president" or "Is he ACTUALLY American?" THese things are OBVIOUSLY linked to his heritage, but no one is going to call the man BLACKY to his face!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
The loud, boorish ones stand out for me because they are truly the ONLY ones I've met. They are also the only ones most of the people I know have met. Some people (not surprisingly, white) find the boorish thing endearing and cute. I find it absolutely obnoxious. It's like every frat boy and sorority girl bought a huge island, populated it, and called it "Australia!"

And once again, we are not talking about the US, but Australia. Make a thread about how you prefer Australia over the US if you feel such a gut reaction to constantly say SOMETHING about the US. It's annoying when you and so many others on this site use the Red Herring move. It reveals less about the US and its people, and more about the opposing side...

I probably am close-minded about Australia. However, the question was which countries you have no interest in visiting, and by extension getting to know. Australia is one of them for me.

I don't like Australia. Deal with it. I'm sure Australia has great people. Every country does. It's a shame I will never know them.

Well then, one would be wrong. Racism, in my opinion, is wrong in WHATEVER form it is in. I, being American, am much more accustomed to "Cowardly racism" than this obnoxious "Aussie racism" that they flaunt about. In the US, the people would be shocked if a public figure, for example, called Obama a racial slur. What you usually would find, however, are people who say things like, "He just doesn't 'look' like a president" or "Is he ACTUALLY American?" THese things are OBVIOUSLY linked to his heritage, but no one is going to call the man BLACKY to his face!
Well again, it doesn't mean we're all like that or most of us are like that. Also people behave differently when on holiday, or they might be drunk or whatever. If you want to stereotype us that's fine.

I have no problem with people having no interest in visiting Australia. That's not what I'm talking about. Another poster resented the fact that we call Australia the 'lucky country', and I explained to him I feel I'm lucky for living here, and it has nothing to do with thinking it's better than anywhere else. I've also mentioned how I find the US more interesting in some respects, but personally, I would prefer to live here.

Getting off topic anyway so I'll leave it at that.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Which then again makes it all the more hypocritical in my view.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well again, it doesn't mean we're all like that or most of us are like that. Also people behave differently when on holiday, or they might be drunk or whatever. If you want to stereotype us that's fine.

I have no problem with people having no interest in visiting Australia. That's not what I'm talking about. Another poster resented the fact that we call Australia the 'lucky country', and I explained to him I feel I'm lucky for living here, and it has nothing to do with thinking it's better than anywhere else. I've also mentioned how I find the US more interesting in some respects, but personally, I would prefer to live here.

Getting off topic anyway so I'll leave it at that.
Everyone stereotypes everyone else. It's just human nature to categorize and compartmentalize things. I can say, however, that I've never treated Aussies any differently than the next person. They definitely have treated ME differently due to my race, however. And I DON'T like it. Why would I go to the very country that exports people who do that?

Now, your rebuttal may be that the US has its share of racists, and it does, like every other country. However, I really, REALLY would be shocked if Americans constantly went to, say, Colombia, and constantly made disparaging remarks about the indigenous population. Who do these Aussies ACTUALLY think they are?!

Yes, we are getting off topic. I don't think there is anything wrong with you being proud of your country. I think it's great. All I'm saying is that I have no interest in getting to know the 'lucky country.' It obviously has ruffled feathers, but I absolutely stand by it, nor will I make apologies for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Which then again makes it all the more hypocritical in my view.
How is that hypocritical? Saying, "He doesn't LOOK presidential" is the same thing as saying "Blacks don't have a presidential LOOK." It's different wording and one is much more plain, but they are both vitriol. There is nothing hypocritical about either statement. Both are saying the man isn't "presidential material." What I will say is that the former is much more commonly heard in the US, and therefore is the one I am more accustomed to. Both however are equally vile and without hypocrisy.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM

83 posts, read 518,008 times
Haiti and Nigeria

Old 08-11-2014, 11:13 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I just don't find them 'attractive':

UK, Canada, Germany, Russia, Brazil, China, Thailand, Malaysia...

Old 08-12-2014, 12:03 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,410,408 times
Not interested at all : Eastern Europe, North/Central/West/East Africa, South/Southeast Asia (exclude Singapore), Central America

Old 08-12-2014, 04:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Types of countries I wouldn't want to visit:

1. Dangerous such as some countries in Latin America, Southeast Asia, Middle East or Africa.
2. Too thirld world countries such as Nepal, Bhutan, Laos, India, Cambodia etc..
3. First world but I find boring, I can think of Canada, New Zealand, US (except big metropolis), Singapore, Eastern Europe and China (except Shanghai/HK).

Old 08-12-2014, 04:18 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,897 times
I have no interest in these places:
1) Africa: Most Central to South African countries - too crime ridden, unstable and plagued with internal conflicts. With few exception like Zambia, Kenya and maybe Tanzania. As for north Africa currently: Libya
2) Mid-East: Iraq, Afganistan - for obvious reason
3) South Asia: India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan - all too dirty and dangerous
4) East Asia: North Korea
5) Americas: Haiti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World