Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM

994 posts, read 1,239,626 times

Advertisements

I can understand not wanting to visit countries that you think are going to be similar to your own - makes sense if you can only visit so many places in your life. I've never been massively interested in going to Australia (I'm British), as I've guessed it would be fairly similar to here and is far away and expensive to get to. But if someone offered me a free trip there, I'd still very happily take it.

I also think it would be interesting for people to distinguish between places they'd prefer on balance not to go (because it's dangerous/they'd face hostility/they have bad toilets, etc), and those about which they literally have no interest. I can completely understand the former, and assume everyone would. The latter seems pretty strange, especially when people are able to come up with such long lists. It makes me wonder if they really know anything about these countries they are so uninterested in. And if they do know anything about them, how did they end up knowing so much about places they have no interest in...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM

24 posts, read 24,182 times
I wonder how different France, Italy, and Spain are from the US and the UK

Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM

994 posts, read 1,239,626 times
Well, I personally think its crazy to say 'the US and UK', as if those two places are that similar - they certainly don't seem so to me, I found the US as exciting and different as any country I've visited. Even within the US, traveling from, say, DC to New Orleans was a huge contrast. You only have to take the Eurostar from London to Paris (one of the most dramatic transitions you can make in a 2-hour train journey) to realise how many things are different between France and Britain. Likewise, most places I've been in Italy could never be mistaken for anywhere else.

Haven't been to Spain.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 PM

10,268 posts, read 15,138,150 times
This list doesn't mean I will never visit these places (although I will not visit most of them) or that I haven't visited them (very few I have), but rather what countries I don't have much of an interest in. For the ones I haven't visited yet, whether I go there depends on an extraordinary consequence (for example, I meet someone that is from Trinidad & Tobago and she invites me to visit her country with her, then yeah, I'll go. Or if a business trip takes me to Angola, then there's not much of a choice.)

AMERICA

Canada
Guatemala
Belize
Honduras
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Jamaica
Haiti
Bahamas
Dominica
Saint Lucia
Barbados
Saint Kitts & Nevis
Trinidad & Tobago
Venezuela
Ecuador
Chile
Bolivia
Paraguay

EUROPE

Portugal
Andorra
Lichtenstein
Belgium
Netherlands
Switzerland
Hungary
Austria
Germany
Denmark
Ireland
Sweden
Norway
Russia
Belarus
Estonia
Lithuania
Latvia
Ukraine
Romania
Bulgaria
Albania
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Croatia
Montenegro
Kosovo
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Cyprus
San Marino
Iceland
Poland

AFRICA

Morocco
Algeria
Tunisia
Libya
Sudan
South Sudan
Ethiopia
Somalia
Kenya
Tanzania
Uganda
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Mozambique
Malawi
Madagascar
Seychelles
Mauritius
Swaziland
Zululand
South Africa
Botswana
Namibia
Angola
Congo
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Gabon
Equatorial Guinea
Central African Republic
Cameroon
Nigeria
Chad
Niger
Mali
Benin
Togo
Ghana
Ivory Coast
Liberia
Sierra Leone
Guinea
Gambia
Senegal
Mauritania
Mali

ASIA

Iraq
Jordan
Israel
Lebanon
Syria
Turkey
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
Bahrain
Qatar
Oman
Yemen
Iran
Armenia
Georgia
Azerbaijan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan
Kazakhstan
Kyrgistan
Tajikistan
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Nepal
Mongolia
Bangladesh
Sri Lanka
Burma
Cambodia
Malaysia
Indonesia
East Timor
Phillipines
Taiwan
Laos
Vietnam
North Korea
South Korea
Japan

OCEANIA

Australia
New Zealand
Papua New Guinea
Fiji
Tuvalu
Kiribati
Marianna Islands
Samoa

Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 PM

10,268 posts, read 15,138,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by These Are Words View Post
I wonder how different France, Italy, and Spain are from the US and the UK
Night and day.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,053,666 times
Chad, niger, Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Sierra Leone Nigeria, CAR, Afghanistan, the Stans, Haiti,.. That's my last list...

Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 PM

607 posts, read 1,396,314 times
Accused witch burned alive in Papua New Guinea as crowd, including kids, watch - CBS News

Yea, about that trip to Papua New Guinea................

Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,687,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
I honestly would visit every country if I had the opportunity, and each country was safe.
I agree with caribdoll. But some countries are just not safe. I think a cruise around the world would be good but the cost is a little more than I would want to pay right now.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM

580 posts, read 1,183,548 times
I will never understand why tourists are interested in visiting communist countries (China) or dangerous dumps (Sao Paulo, Bangkok, etc). I do not have any interests in visiting destinations who are not known as first world. Here is my list of countries I would visit because it's shorter.

Europe - All countries except for a couple in Eastern Europe.
Asia - I would only see Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Hong Kong.
N America - U.S. and Canada
Australia and New Zealand

I am not interested in South America or Africa at all because every country is second or third world.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 AM

10,661 posts, read 16,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I will never understand why tourists are interested in visiting communist countries (China) or dangerous dumps (Sao Paulo, Bangkok, etc). I do not have any interests in visiting destinations who are not known as first world.
Basically just spend 11 months in Thailand (almost half of that time in Bangkok), how can you say it's dangerous? Not saying it's the safest city in the world but ive never been robbed or anything.

During my caribbean cruise in October, 2010, we had 1 single day in Cozumel, Mexico - got ripped off twice by 2 different guys (yeah i bought brown grass+oregano for $30 and paracetemol mixed with babypowder for $70 ), 1 week later i got robbed $120 in Miami by a Cuban (i think) with a tatoo in his neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World