Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,899,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
I do .

Actually, I'd just as well do one for USA since I'm already writing.
Lived there for a year and now trying to get back:

Best things?

- Relativley low taxes
- Very multi-cultural so there are food and people from all over the world and from all countries sharing both their positives (and their negatives) with eachother.
- Lots of opportunities (The Land of Opportunities)
- People are generally capitalists
- The media is pro-capitalism
- Many great cities and different landscapes and cultures
- Heavy criminals get punished hard to keep them away from the streets
- Gasoline is cheap (Yes, compared to Europe it still is)
- Lots of choice when it comes to restaurants, food-stores, clothing stores, TV shows etc. (You want it? You got it!)
- Citizens can legally own guns and rifles to protect themselves from scumbag thieves and burglars
- People are allowed to use violence in self-defence and you can't get arrested for sexual harrasment for a telling woman that she's sexy.

Worst things?

- On it's way to becoming a police state
- Very hard for someone from Western Europe, from the same background and socio-economic status as middle class America to get a Visa to stay there (I understand if they don't want people from the 3rd world, but c'mon, we're talking French, German, Dutch, Swedish etc...they would love to come to your country, work hard and contribute to the American society in every way possible).
- Many cities are unfortunatley quite run down in their inner parts.
- Women are generally fat, to get away from the fatties you have to be in one of the beach cities like West LA or New York City.
I had the same problem as a student, it was impossible as a white middle class European to emigrate to the US, I gave up in the end (and regret it to this day).
And about Sweden : I heard that now they want to oblige boys to pee like girls because of "gender" concerns. Swedish society seems to be quite sick. By the way : Sweden is a role model for the French Left, it 's saying a lot (and not positive!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 03:59 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,407,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I had the same problem as a student, it was impossible as a white middle class European to emigrate to the US, I gave up in the end (and regret it to this day).
And about Sweden : I heard that now they want to oblige boys to pee like girls because of "gender" concerns. Swedish society seems to be quite sick. By the way : Sweden is a role model for the French Left, it 's saying a lot (and not positive!)
Do you believe everything you hear?

Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 AM

****ty 1990s feel to quite a lot of branding, advertising etc Right. We are literally invaded by advertising (and lest wing/communist propaganda posters everywhere in the suburbs and some ciy centers). People have to put stickers "no bub" for their their letterboxes not to be stuffed with pointless advertising (pizza parlurs, real estate, supermarkets...) and Ican't start to imagine how much forest is destroyed for that!
France actually has the worst of both worlds :everywhere communist propaganda and capitalist/consumerist propagnada. Yikes!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:04 AM

asting building materials like concrete,

Concrete is horrible. In France they pour grey concrete everywhere, it's a nightmare!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,276,081 times
Finland (speaking as a sort of outsider, only been here 6 years)

Best:
Long summer days
Beautiful forests and lakes
Decent healthcare
Good education system
Very family friendly benefits system
Feel safe even in "bad" areas
Finnish friends are good friends

Worst:
Winter is too long (I like winter but I'd like it better if it was a couple months shorter)
Autumn really sucks (wet, dark, miserable)
It can be hard for foreigners to fit in (although the locals are generally pretty friendly outside of the small towns)
Difficult to find a job if you don't have connections (not many jobs are actually advertised openly)
The language is difficult
Its hard to make friends with Finns

I'll also do UK as that's where I'm from originally.

Best:
Prawn cocktail crisps
Pub culture
Friendly people
Healthcare is decent (not as good as Finland though)
Chavs (I secretly love them)

Worst:
Crappy weather
Education system isn't so good (at least not in my experience)
Things seem pretty bad over there at the moment (economically, politically) but its hard for me to judge that from afar

Last edited by Natsku; 05-11-2013 at 04:45 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 04:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,255,601 times
Portugal (I am an American-born resident, not Portuguese.)

1. The historical and the modern tend to co-exist in most towns, and it creates a very pleasant, even soothing ambience.
2. On the whole, people are friendly and cordial
3. People do not hate each other because of their politics, or religion. And are obsessed with neither.
4. Religion only rarely become an element in political discussions. Religious belligerance and proselytizing are lacking. (A tiny, tiny minority of JW's, do; and the Mormon missionaries, of course, who are regarded as "nice boys.")
5. The climate has few extremes, and catastrophic weather is rare.
6. The scenery is usually pleasant, and where I live, often impressive. Abundant wild flowers, large sections of the coast undeveloped...incredibly satisfying and relaxing on an everyday basis.
7. The pace of life, even when fast, lacks the aggression that it has in the U.S. and the U.K. People are relaxed, they don't act like they might eat you for dinner. Life is still about people -walking, talking, chatting in the streets, parks, cafes.
8. Being able to leave an urban area and be in a quiet, pleasant natural environment is no big project in most places.
9. Public transportation in the cities is good; train and bus service on an inter-city and local basis is good.
10. Most taxes and services can be researched and paid for online.
11. Portuguese banks are conservative, and thus far none have been involved in shenanigans or have needed bailouts. Common savings accounts and investment accounts at banks earn more interest than in the U.S.
12. Medical costs are generally lower, and sometimes very much lower, than in the U.S. Medical standards are equal to the U.S. in private hosptals, and even in the public hospitals the doctors are as good, but the support staff overworked and not as professional.

Dislike (For me, they are negligible.)

1. Service is usually lackadaisical; however, the public sector seems to be improving much faster than the private.
2. The language...I find continental Portuguese unpleasant sounding, whereas I like Brazilian Portuguese very much.
3. Formerly there were entirely too many packs of loud, boozing English tourists in the summer, far fewer now. The Spanish who have replaced them in my area are far better behaved, but do not spend as much.
4. Public hospitals very stressed and heavily used. (Private hospitals are fine, staff more pleasant than in the U.S.)
5. Scarcity of specialized medical services for handicapped children, handicapped adults. Lack to hospices and palliative care facilities.
6. Bureaucratic procedures are slow sometimes and require several documents and forms to complete. On the other hand, what difference does it make if it takes three weeks to get a new driving license, the old one is still good.
7. Income tax is high, but property tax is low.
8. Economic stagnation is due largely to the loss of traditional industries, and no political party has been able to create a program for attracting new industries and training people to work in them. Recession or near-recession has been chronic for more than a decade.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 AM

520 posts, read 1,519,068 times
I'll make one for OneLess as a precaution:

USA, USA #1

Best:

Mc Mansions
Proud Christians
Conservative lobby
Suburbia
Olive Garden
Applebee's
TGI Friday's
XXL-soda pops
XXL-SUV's
English-speaking
Not located in Europe
No public transport at all
Classy world cities like Indianapolis or Louisville
Skyscrapers everywhere
No social system
Wealthy people in Long Island
Great desert and hot climate

Worst:
None!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:29 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,445,646 times
Quote:
It's one of the cons of Spain (and France), in summer they have GMT +2 , which means that when the sun is at noon, it's officially 2 PM, or at night 10:00 PM means it's in reality 8:00PM, so they have daylight like in Scandinavia! , Orwell couldnt have done better! Madrid thus is at the time zone of Warsaw in summer! Another absurdity of the "EU"
You do know the time of the day is a convention in the first place, don't you?

Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,445,646 times
Quote:
****ty 1990s feel to quite a lot of branding, advertising etc Right. We are literally invaded by advertising (and lest wing/communist propaganda posters everywhere in the suburbs and some ciy centers). People have to put stickers "no bub" for their their letterboxes not to be stuffed with pointless advertising (pizza parlurs, real estate, supermarkets...) and Ican't start to imagine how much forest is destroyed for that!
France actually has the worst of both worlds :everywhere communist propaganda and capitalist/consumerist propagnada. Yikes!
I think you spend too much time as a wannabe American on the Internet. You've even started to use the word "communist" in the wrong context. Next you will be complaining about "*******s".

Old 05-11-2013, 06:37 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,342,958 times
best = laid back , humorous people

worst = possibley the worst weather in the entire world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World