Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 09:04 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,546,325 times

Advertisements

-Good scenery
-Clean
-Decent economy
-High quality of life
-Has good international relations allowing me to travel freely
-Fantastic music scene
-People do what they want or feel they need to do, but keep their mouth shut about it when faced with opposing POVs. In general.

Dislikes

-Post secondary education isn't universalized
-Weather sucks in most places
-Canadian middle class is annoying me; you don't need a boat, a two-door garage, a cottage, large house and two or three vehicles all at once or even at all to be considered wealthy.
-Public transportation is awful in most cities
-I wish we had more unique foods
-Alberta (just kidding...massive oil exploitation is what I mean)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 AM

3,632 posts, read 3,430,867 times
I'm in Canada.

-- Fantastic scenery. From BC's mountains to Newfoundland's rugged rockiness, there is little to compare with Canadian scenery. Ontario's shield, the vastness of the Prairies, Perce Rock--nothing like it (them?) anywhere else in the world.

-- Rule of law. Canada is, politically speaking, a very stable state, organized according to a constitution and set of laws that hold up quite well, and have been used as models for developing nations.

-- International affairs. Canada is not now terribly powerful, militarily speaking, but at the request of the UN, it does make the effort to try to broker peace between two warring factions. It has not always been successful, but it has tried. Notable successes have included Rwanda (Nick Nolte played a fictionalized version of General Romeo Dallaire in "Hotel Rwanda"). At any rate, Canadians are justifiably proud of being able to insert themselves between two warring factions--taking shots from both sides, as it were, instead of just one.

-- The above reminds me. Canada has been a military player in the Boer War, WWI, WWII, the Korean War, and the Afghanistan War. We sent no troops to Vietnam--officially--but estimates of Canadians joining up with the US forces to fight in Vietnam number from 10,000 to 30,000.

Still, though Canada was not a belligerent in the Vietnam War, we played our part. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Between January 28, 1973 and July 31, 1973, Canada provided 240 peacekeeping troops to Operation Gallant, the peace keeping operation associated with the International Commission of Control and Supervision (ICCS) Vietnam, along with Hungary, Indonesia, and Poland.[42] Their role was to monitor the cease-fire in South Vietnam per the Paris Peace Accords.
A friend was part of that Canadian contingent.

-- Human rights. Individual Canadians enjoy the rights afforded to those in other modern nations. We consider ourselves to be free--taking shots froe in many ways: free to speak our minds, free to associate with those who believe as we do, free to worship a religion (or not) as we please.

-- Our money. We have a rock-solid Western currency that trades freely on world markets. And our currency looks great--we change it every so often, not only to foil counterfeiting, but also to reflect our heritage, history, and wildlife. We have so much to share with the world, that we cannot stick with one design for more than twenty years or so.

Dislikes:

-- An overabundance of hockey, and the insinuation that you cannot be a good and/or proud Canadian unless you worship hockey. We do play other professional sports: baseball (the Blue Jays of MLB) and basketball (the Raptors of NBA), and Canadian university sports include such fan favourites as Canadian football. Certainly, America's NFL has many fans in Canada, as does the Canadian Football League. But Canadians are tacitly asked to agree that NHL hockey rules from September to June. Unless you want to be called unpatriotic.

-- Party members in the House of Commons having to vote the party line. I want my member to vote the way the people in my riding want him or her to--which may not be the way the PM wants. Our Commons is really a house of representatives, so why does it not represent the individual ridings and their views?

-- Infrastructure. I wish it were easier to move around this country. Most Canadians fly between places; which, while efficient in terms of time, is costly. There are very few less-expensive alternatives to flying. Trains serve only a few places outside the Windsor-Quebec corridor, and tend to be more expensive than flying anyway; and roads are not great especially in northern Ontario, where a collision might block the only road between eastern and western Canada for six hours or more. I understand budgetary limitations, but I wish we had cheaper flying options.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 05-15-2014 at 01:22 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 12:51 AM

10,027 posts, read 8,683,587 times
USA

Likes;

The NFL
Music (before the 80s)
Cars (before the 80s)
Tv shows (before the 80s)
Most of it's early history
I like being able to own a gun
The wide variety of food that's available (I get sick of pizza)
The animals, bears,mountain lions,bobcats

Dislikes;

Obamacare
Insurance companies
Utility companies
Media
Corrupt politicians
Cops,judges and shysters

Old 05-15-2014, 05:03 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,917,665 times
I hate the bigotry and the backwardness.

I like the weather or the fact that we speak English.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:03 AM

8,875 posts, read 8,476,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm in Canada.

-- Fantastic scenery. From BC's mountains to Newfoundland's rugged rockiness, there is little to compare with Canadian scenery. Ontario's shield, the vastness of the Prairies, Perce Rock--nothing like it (them?) anywhere else in the world.

-- Rule of law. Canada is, politically speaking, a very stable state, organized according to a constitution and set of laws that hold up quite well, and have been used as models for developing nations.

-- International affairs. Canada is not now terribly powerful, militarily speaking, but at the request of the UN, it does make the effort to try to broker peace between two warring factions. It has not always been successful, but it has tried. Notable successes have included Rwanda (Nick Nolte played a fictionalized version of General Romeo Dallaire in "Hotel Rwanda"). At any rate, Canadians are justifiably proud of being able to insert themselves between two warring factions--taking shots from both sides, as it were, instead of just one.

-- The above reminds me. Canada has been a military player in the Boer War, WWI, WWII, the Korean War, and the Afghanistan War. We sent no troops to Vietnam--officially--but estimates of Canadians joining up with the US forces to fight in Vietnam number from 10,000 to 30,000.

Still, though Canada was not a belligerent in the Vietnam War, we played our part. From Wikipedia:

A friend was part of that Canadian contingent.

-- Human rights. Individual Canadians enjoy the rights afforded to those in other modern nations. We consider ourselves to be free--taking shots froe in many ways: free to speak our minds, free to associate with those who believe as we do, free to worship a religion (or not) as we please.

-- Our money. We have a rock-solid Western currency that trades freely on world markets. And our currency looks great--we change it every so often, not only to foil counterfeiting, but also to reflect our heritage, history, and wildlife. We have so much to share with the world, that we cannot stick with one design for more than twenty years or so.
How I wish my parents were Canadian(sigh)

For Taiwan(most of these will be bitching)

-- The fact that it's shaped like a yam,which is kinda cute.

-- Safety is actually quite impressive.Of course we hear crimes happening on the news from time to time,but mostly of them are done by victims' acquaintances.The public safety is probably even better than most of the big cities in the west.Walking on the street,I don't have to worry about pickpockets at all

-- I suppose this is a pretty stable and developed nation for Asian standard(mostly because that Asia is such an awful continent so we kinda stand out by default)

-- Quite liberal for Asian standard.I think the other Asian nations that have the equal or better liberty are only Japan,Korea,and Israel,but again it's sort of by default.

-- Democracy as well,one of the very few nations in Asia that has a functioning one.It's seriously deteriorating though,I'll explain in the Dislikes.

-- Probably the most gay-friendly nation in Asia.Still got a lot to improve though.

-- Convenience.Plenty of 24-7 stores,even if you get hungry at 3 AM,food is always available.

-- And I like our (unofficial) relations with Japan.Probably as friendly as a formal colony and a formal colonist can be.Of course Japan doesn't recognize us or anything,but it's pretty adorable lol.

-- According to foreign tourists that have been to Taiwan,they think Taiwanese are really nice.I'm not very sure about this though,but let's just add this to the list

-- The food is pretty good.

-- The ancient,delicate,and fascinating language and literature.I love the fact that we are the only people in the entire world that still use traditional Chinese(and Hong Kong as well though,but they speak Cantonese and frankly China has had some impact on their education so they are kinda starting to use simplified Chinese as well).
Anyway traditional Chinese and literature contain the wisdom of this ancient civilization,which is something you can never find elsewhere.

-- Oh and you're gonna hate this lol.Knowing Chinese means that you can easily reach the illegal resources of movies,animation,and tv series the Mainlanders across the strait have already translated and uploaded.I barely need to rent DVDs or go to theater for movies.That's just awesome!

Dislikes:

-- I think the worst part is our political status.Most countries don't recognize Taiwan as a country.Usually it isn't really all that bothersome,but if you go abroad and something bad happens,it can be VERY inconvenient because you can't find any embassy anywhere.

-- China,which has some benefits(as I mentioned,the illegal sources of movies and tv series lmfao),but the disadvantages certainly outweigh them.It ranges from the fact that they currently have thousands of missiles aiming for this tiny island,the constant threats from them such as boycotting us in any kind of international organizations and pressuring other countries to do the same,to the actions they have been taking to devour us.

-- Regarding to the above.We can easily be mistaken as Chinese in countries all over the world,and god knows how notorious Chinese people are in foreigners' eyes lol.The Vietnam anti-China protest is just one of the examples.

-- KMT.I don't want to elaborate too much because that could be an essay.The politicians in this country don't give a **** about its people at all.Most of them have green cards or maple cards,so they can jump on the airplanes and fly to the US or Canada in case things go wrong.What they said have never failed to make my eyes roll.They don't understand,nor do they care,the values of democracy.It is as corruptive as a political party can get,so they are incredibly rich,which means they can win in every single election.
The worst thing is that they are such ****-suckers of PRC,and have been pushing us to the direction of unification.

-- Compatriots,especially the greedy entrepreneurs and the rich,and the people that just don't care.These people that are illiterate in terms of democracy.Just like the filthy KMT they support,they do not cherish the value of democracy and liberty.I suppose the only way that these idiots could learn a lesson is to let them be ruled by CCP,and see how many would die or be arrested for no actual reason.
And they are so narrow-minded.

-- Capital Punishment itself is bad enough,and our governments use it for saving their approval rating.

-- The workaholic nature.People here work very long hours,and there is no labour union to prevent the skanky entrepreneurs from enslaving the laborers.And the laborers are idiots as well,they don't stand up and fight for their rights at all.They are SO willing to take extra shifts,while the salary is just nothing but low.

-- The education.It's just pathetically materialistic.

-- The motorcycle waterfall,lol.Just look at this picture.

Lol how pretty

-- The architecture is hella ugly.Ew

-- The economy sucks,and the governments have no intention to improve it,instead,they keep using the index such as GDP per capita or HDI that miraculously ranked Taiwan on the top of the list and tell people that they have been doing such "great" jobs.Bite my ass.

-- The limited press.They barely report any international event,they only care about stupid celebrities,or domestic incidents at most.Can you believe that almost none of the news channels said anything about Syria last year?Or Ukraine?Or Nigerian girls abducted?Oh and they are all either controlled by CCP or by KMT,so yeah,they suck.

These are all I can think of now,there are definitely more,but I'm gonna stop right here,lol.

Last edited by Greysholic; 05-15-2014 at 06:29 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 06:22 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,494,241 times
Spain.

I like...

Weather is usually good.
Warm people and welcoming.
Open mindness.
Good at sports, sport is a trend. Healthy lifestyle.
Good gastronomy.
Culturally rich.
Health system seems to be good.
Variety in cities, mix or origins and History.
Variety in landscapes, mountains, deserts, beaches, subtropical.
Shopping, I love our clothes.
Terraceo and tapas.
Transport: good airports and AVE.
TV series.
We keep traditionss without being narrow minded old fashioned or obsessed.
Tourism.

I dislike...

People being late.
Law is too weak, some people kill and they never go to prison.
Swimmingpools opening in June and closing in september.
Meal schedules.
Low salaries for long working hours.
You need lots of years of studies for simple jobs.
Less holidays per year than other europeans (yes I know Americans have even less)
Political corruption.
Crisis.
Expensive houses, just married couples can afford small apartments.
I wish we had better cinema and films.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,266,429 times
Finland

Like:

Nature - you're never that far away from forests or lakes and its beautiful

The "system", as in the welfare state

The people - sometimes they irritate me but on the whole they're pretty nice, and not as introverted or quiet as the stereotype goes

Food is pretty alright too

The plentiful supply of gluten free products in most places

Dislike:

Stupid alcohol rules

The language - not that I dislike the language itself, just that its bloody hard to learn. Its nice otherwise.

Autumn weather - just rain, mud and darkness, wish we could just skip autumn and go straight to winter

Over-the-counter medicines (like paracetamol for example) are way too expensive and you can only buy them in pharmacies

The over-emphasis on qualifications - why do you need a qualification to serve alcohol??! (I failed the test last week )

Old 05-15-2014, 06:37 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,134,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Roméo Dallaire was no doubt noble and maybe borderline heroic, but can we really consider Rwanda to be a Canadian military or peacekeeping "success"?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,889,616 times
France
I like :
- the "foodie" culture
- social security
- the 35 hour week/ 2 months vacations
- the Mediterranean region
- literature and arts
I dislike :
- the muscle -flexing (playing big power, a bit like the US)
- the hubris and pretention of our media, politician, showbusiness , intellectual class
- the lessons in human rights we constantly give the whole world
- the wet,cloudy cold weather of northern/central France
- the lack of concern for the protection of the environment/wildlife, the throw-away society
- the love for concrete, the spread of Suburbia
- the cultural schizophrenic superiority/ inferiority complex towards the US
- the obsessive car culture
- the lack of acceptation of differing opinion ("intolerance") in a country which prides itself of its "tolerance".

Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 AM

8,875 posts, read 8,476,355 times
^OMG France.I'm such a big fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World