Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

USA. BEST: I can't think of anything. Other than varied climates and landscape.

WORST: I can't say that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
Brazil

Best:
Forests
Beaches
Lush landscapes
Cities with unique arquitecture (Brasília, Ouro Preto, and others)
No snowfalls in most of the country
Popular music
Absence of ethnic conflicts
Absence of national disputes
Religious tolerance

Worst:
Excess of taxes and bureaucracy
Cost of living
Public education and health
Transport infrastructure
Urban safety
Corruption in politics
Drug dealers
Ugly women

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 02-05-2013 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Canada

BEST:
Fairly tolerant and progressive
Nice mountains
Access to wilderness
Clean
High value dollar, making good value for travelling to most other countries.

WORST:
Expensive
Cold
Too many people who are way too invested in multi-million dollar organized sports.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
US:

The best thing: The Northeast

The worst thing: Texas, continuing its longstanding tradition of pulling the rest of the country down to oblivion. Can we give it back to Mexico? Please?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
You're Brazilian. Deal with it or die.
I wish I was Brazilian, everybody says that it's Heaven on Earth because of brown people everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Spain.

Worst:

Current economy.
Politicians.
Low salaries.
High competence to get jobs.
Unemployment.
Disconformity of some areas, and the polemic they bring. (Basques, Catalonia)
Expensive train fares.
Location inside Europe (a bit far from other countries)
Many people have the habit of being and arrive late!!

Best:
Rich culture and History.
Weather, mostly sunny.
Good at sport, sport tradition.
Beaches.
Variety of sceneries.
Safety.
Friendly people.
Good tourism destination.
High education levels.
Good Health system.
Long days in summer.
Wide opening schedules in shop. (closing at 8pm or even 10pm)
Gastronomy
Many big cities.

I started to write this post with a pessimistic feeling but now I see I numbered more pros than cons. lol
Don't you mean long winter days? Everywhere north of Spain in Europe has longer summer days than Spain.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
USA

Best--Northeast has beautiful beaches, nice cities like Boston, picturesque rural areas, quality education, beautiful old architecture, great hospitals and health care.

Northeast has horrible climate extremes, corrupt state governments, very high cost of living, and the country doesn't have health care for all. Lowlife tv shows, celebrity culture.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
USA

Best: Scenery (I'm fond of Northern New England and Northern California), the generosity of people in times of crisis, COL for a developed country is pretty good

Worse: Politics (both parties) and Washington is disfunctional, States with too many Jesus freaks. people who think "love it or leave it"

Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
You're Brazilian. Deal with it or die.
When did Puerto Rico become part of Brazil?

USA

Worse (add): geographically challenged citizens.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
USA

Best
1) Blending of contemporary industry and technology, making for comfortable and convenient material life.

2) Low taxes and, acceptable, even if not optimal, ratio of effective tax rate/quality of government services.

3) Deep economy, and deep capital markets, even if manipulated: an average young person starting from scratch still stands a reasonable chance at gainfully employing talents and skills.

4) Constitution, purposely designed diffusion of political power among many levels, including Federal government (split between the parties is a GOOD thing, the less they do the better, as designed, it is supposed to be difficult).

Worst
1) Institutionalized racism, molding a group politics system (anti-Constitutional in my view) and shaping social and economic policy, often stupidly (e.g. suburban/urban divide, financing of housing).

2) Ridiculous dichotomies in social debate. I wish everyone would just give it a long, long rest, and everyone mind his own effing business and focus instead on effective management, technology, industry and sound economic policy (maybe a little more like Germany?).

3) Limited choices among urban and suburban landscapes, almost forced into a certain pattern of consumption, especially in regards to housing, transportation, and insurance.

Italy

Best
1) History, architecture, culture.

2) Harmony between urban and rural landscapes (though post-WWII urban periphery is dreary).

Worst
1) Deal-breaking horrible, horrible, horrible ratio of effective tax rate/quality of government services.

2) I won't even try to describe the political party system, nor the 19th Century bureaucracy still weighing on a 20th-21st Century economy.

3. Relatively limited opportunities for talented, skilled young people starting from scratch.

Conclusion: if Italy could solve 1) and 2), I'd move back tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath - we tried in the 1990s and failed (it still hurts) -, life is too short (crying).

Last edited by bale002; 02-06-2013 at 03:41 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Don't you mean long winter days? Everywhere north of Spain in Europe has longer summer days than Spain.
I haven't been to Scandinavia for example but I have spent some summers abroad (UK, Tunisie, USA, etc) and nowhere else the nigh came at 10pm.

Maybe I should have said: Long days in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World