Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 AM

10,648 posts, read 15,915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
To live in, in principle, 1) Lebanon and 2) Syria, then also 3) Israel/Palestine in the sense of the eastern Mediterranean in general, and then 4) Turkey, and 5) Cyprus (some 23% Muslim?).

Visit, in principle, 1) Egypt and 2) Libya. What about 3) Ethiopia (34% Muslim according to 2007 national census)?

That's about it, maybe Tunisia (4) and Algeria (5).

In practice, none of them to live in or visit, except maybe visit again Turkey.
Any country with a muslim population under 50.1% is not a Islamic country.
Israel, Cyprus and Ethiopia are not Islamic countries.
You really want to live in the West Bank/Gaza Strip/Syria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM

9,296 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

You really want to live in the West Bank/Gaza Strip/Syria?
Do you know the difference in the English language, and in italics in particular, between in principle and
in practice? They go together, like both ... and, like either ... or.

What if I had put it in "quotation marks" ... "in principle" ... "in practice" ... does that help?

It means, no I really don't want to live there, though historically, culturally, and geographically they are, in my view, the most interesting "Muslim" countries, but they have been going through a rough patch over the past 100 years or so, actually a drop in the bucket historically. Be patient.

But even on a contemporary level, just study, for example, the economic patterns of Lebanon, quite fascinating, reflecting a highly dynamic and intelligent populace, or at least part of it, and obviously the deal-breaker is the extremely dangerous level of violence.

Let me underline for you ... no I really don't want to live there ... the deal-breaker is the extremely dangerous level of violence.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bale002; 02-08-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM

10,648 posts, read 15,915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Do you know the difference in the English language, and in italics in particular, between in principle and
in practice? They go together, like both ... and, like either ... or.

What if I had put it in "quotation marks" ... "in principle" ... "in practice" ... does that help?

It means, no I really don't want to live there, though historically, culturally, and geographically they are, in my view, the most interesting "Muslim" countries, but they have been going through a rough patch over the past 100 years or so, actually a drop in the bucket historically. Be patient.

But even on a contemporary level, just study, for example, the economic patterns of Lebanon, quite fascinating, reflecting a highly dynamic and intelligent populace, or at least part of it, and obviously the deal-breaker is the extremely dangerous level of violence.

Let me underline for you ... no I really don't want to live there ... the deal-breaker is the extremely dangerous level of violence.

Hope this helps.
Love how you ignore the rest of my post, which shows you don't know the difference between a Islamic country and a Christian/Jewish country.

If you gonna put the West Bank/Gaza Strip and Syria on your top 5 Islamic countries to live list that means you would rather live in those places than all other Islamic countries.
I can't be surprised that you take those places over countries like the UAE, Malaysia, Indonesia etc.?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM

36,905 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Love how you ignore the rest of my post, which shows you don't know the difference between a Islamic country and a Christian/Jewish country.

If you gonna put the West Bank/Gaza Strip and Syria on your top 5 Islamic countries to live list that means you would rather live in those places than all other Islamic countries.
I can't be surprised that you take those places over countries like the UAE, Malaysia, Indonesia etc.?
I'm kind of curious about what you mean by an islamic country. Basically, if a country with islamic roots secularizes society then it's not really all that different from any other secularized country. The terrible part is when people straitjacket secularization as anathema to anything but western countries when that's obviously not been the case for a wide variety of cultures.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,433,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm kind of curious about what you mean by an islamic country. Basically, if a country with islamic roots secularizes society then it's not really all that different from any other secularized country. The terrible part is when people straitjacket secularization as anathema to anything but western countries when that's obviously not been the case for a wide variety of cultures.
Yeah, if someone had a thread with "Your Top 5 Christian Countries to Live/Visit" I could include disparate countries ranging from Bolivia to Iceland to Kenya to the Phillipines--yet I wouldn't imagine those countries to have all that much in common.

Likewise there's a world of difference between Albania and Indonesia to say nothing of the differences just between places in the basically the same region like between Iran and Turkey or between Lebanon and Saudi Arabia.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 PM

994 posts, read 1,231,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I'm sorry, but I simply don't have interest in the islamic culture. Nothing against the muslims, nothing against Islam, but I simply have no interest.
Your not being sorry only increases the pity I feel for you. And I further pity you because you seem to think that the only reason to visit any Islamic country would be an interest in 'Islamic culture'. When I visited France, Italy, Germany, the US, Romania, the Czech Republic, etc etc, I did so because I was interested in the cultures specific to those countries, and specific to the regions within those countries, and to the towns and cities within those regions, and to the people within those towns and cities - not because I was interested in 'Christian culture'. Likewise when I visited Malaysia, I was mainly interested in experiencing tropical rainforest. When I visited Egypt, I was interested in observing the process of political upheaval, and speaking to people involved in this. I pity you for seeing in countries which happen to be Islamic only 'Islamic culture', and for in this way being blinded to a significant proportion of the rich variety of what goes on on this planet.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 PM

994 posts, read 1,231,382 times
The more one thinks of it, the more absurd it becomes.

One Greek to another: "Did you ever think of visiting Carthage?"

"No, I'm not interested in Islamic culture."

One Tunisian to another: "Would you like to see the Acropolis one day?"

"Christian civilization holds no draw for me."

:facepalm:

Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Your not being sorry only increases the pity I feel for you. And I further pity you because you seem to think that the only reason to visit any Islamic country would be an interest in 'Islamic culture'. When I visited France, Italy, Germany, the US, Romania, the Czech Republic, etc etc, I did so because I was interested in the cultures specific to those countries, and specific to the regions within those countries, and to the towns and cities within those regions, and to the people within those towns and cities - not because I was interested in 'Christian culture'. Likewise when I visited Malaysia, I was mainly interested in experiencing tropical rainforest. When I visited Egypt, I was interested in observing the process of political upheaval, and speaking to people involved in this. I pity you for seeing in countries which happen to be Islamic only 'Islamic culture', and for in this way being blinded to a significant proportion of the rich variety of what goes on on this planet.
You don't need to be angry with me. I simply don't mind if someone has no interest about the culture of Latin America, region where I live, don't care the reason. I think I have the right of having more interest in some cultures and less interest in others, don't I?

However I can state that the problem with islamic countries is not Islam, or the muslims, but the fact that my culture is very different and I'm afraid of taking some attitude which can be perceived as offensive by nationals of these countries.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 PM

582 posts, read 1,175,957 times
The only Islamic country I would visit is Turkey, Istanbul to be exact. The other counties are far too dangerous and Egypt is beyond horrible with extreme poverty and people rioting in the streets.

Last edited by Ice Cream Man; 02-08-2013 at 10:54 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM

9,782 posts, read 14,616,562 times
Live:
None, although if I'm offered a temporary executive job in Dubai, I would take it. That's probably the only place in the Islamic world I'm willing to tolerate and yes, their relaxed rules towards Westerners has much to do with that! But there is no way I'm willing to live there for the rest of my life or even for more than 3 years.

Only Visit:

Egypt and United Arab Emirates

There might be a couple more Islamic countries I might like to visit, but I probably don't know they are Islamic. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World